JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Now I know I'm just mainly rebuildable."
I realize that I don't heal as fast as I did in my youth.
Hopefully, we gain enough judgement in maturity to compensate for accumulated wear and tear.
If it weren't for modern medical technology I would have expired on 08/31/16 when I survived a fatal heart attack.

In another universe, with a just gun god, that firearm did what it was supposed to do: hold strong and scope-eye that bubblegum for his bad form.

I frequently load one of my muzzleloaders with 60 gr of imr4198 and seat a 300 gr bullet on top of the charge to get 2500 fps. Before any of you say I am going to blow my face off, I should tell you that the gun has been converted to a ml and started life out as a modern centerfire single shot rifle in 45-70 :cool:.

This particular rifle has a provision to use a muzzle brake which I am usually not a fan of. In this case it does a great job and is not deafening in the field either. Also these loads have been vetted by someone with a pressure trace to be safe with this rifle. Turns out I am not a big fan of trying to blow my face off.

916D6213-DCFB-4228-B25F-B3CB038F509F.jpeg

Several years ago a friend of mine told me that he had inherited his father's hunting rifle. Sounded like an 8mm from what I could tell. He didn't know much about it but he did hand load for it. He had an old can of powder that Pop always used. Used hand tools to replace the primers and poured "one scoop" of powder and some bullets that he had a whole bag of. He told me there were more cans of powder around the shed if he did run out. :rolleyes: I tried to caution him politely (yeah, I know) but he wasn't really interested. I haven't heard from him in a while - I should probably check in on him...
You should ask if he is "ok, Boomer".

:s0140:

Many years ago we were at a Rendezvous at Camas Meadows near Wenatchee Washington. They were holding a candle shoot one evening and a good 30 guys and 1/2 dozen women were all standing in 4 lines each taking a turn at the candle. I guy in the row two over from me and about 3 people ahead of me. Stepped up and fired his flintlock. AND the whole place flashed around him. Luckily it was open air so no explosion. What had happened was that the guy in front of him loading his rifle in the line had missed getting the stopper in his powder horn and he dumped in a scattered sort of way as he moved to the line about 6-8 ounces of 3F on the ground, And when a spark from the Flintlock hit the ground it all went WOOOSH.

Needless to say the candle shoot was over.
The Fecal count in Camas Meadows was off the charts that year for some reason?

I am sure there are a LOT more smokeless in muzzleloader tragedies than we know of or will ever hear about.
YES!! I have ZERO doubt you are correct. Most who blow one are not going to put it out on the net of course. I was showing this to a young guy I work with and he was asking about this. I said many "think" that if they do not have some BP or substitute surely smokeless will work. Yes it sure will but, many just have no clue what the hell they are doing. I am sure many just "dump a charge" in, with no idea what kind of pressure they may get. Sure many get away with it at least one time until they do something like this. Then will stand there shocked, saying it worked last time :s0140:

YES!! I have ZERO doubt you are correct. Most who blow one are not going to put it out on the net of course. I was showing this to a young guy I work with and he was asking about this. I said many "think" that if they do not have some BP or substitute surely smokeless will work. Yes it sure will but, many just have no clue what the hell they are doing. I am sure many just "dump a charge" in, with no idea what kind of pressure they may get. Sure many get away with it at least one time until they do something like this. Then will stand there shocked, saying it worked last time :s0140:
I shot a guy's 45-120 that he made "hybred" loads for. Mostly BP and little tiny bit of smokeless. They worked well and shot very tight groups. Made a beautiful, deep boom. I knew him from the club and considered him a responsible guy. He was very precise about the load and kept records, plus he had shot a dozen or so rounds before I shot it. Cool gun too. Falling block? It looked like the one from Quigley.

I shot a guy's 45-120 that he made "hybred" loads for. Mostly BP and little tiny bit of smokeless. They worked well and shot very tight groups. Made a beautiful, deep boom. I knew him from the club and considered him a responsible guy. He was very precise about the load and kept records, plus he had shot a dozen or so rounds before I shot it. Cool gun too. Falling block? It looked like the one from Quigley.
Long ago there was a good write up in one of the rags about this. Author was making loads for a Ruger Old Army. Found Pyrodex was lacking so he was dropping in a couple grains of a fast burning powder to give it a boost and it of course worked. Where this becomes a problem is people who have no clue. With most well made smoke poles its actually hard to put enough BP in to make one blow. Now when you start dropping in smokeless and treating it like "scooping it in", now you are making a bomb. Many really do not bother to learn that there is no comparison between BP and the choices of smokeless.

I used to think that the idea of the powder horn exploding if you pour directly into the bore was theoretically possible but didn't happen in the Real World.
I found out that this was incorrect when I spoke with a fellow Lassen gunsmith who lost his right hand and eye in just such an occurrence.

I know, I'm not, "Historical". :s0092:

I prefer the little plastic screw capped tubes with a measured amount of powder in each one. That way I can keep track of how many times I've fired and how many shots I have left and any powder on the bench is in a sealed container. ;)

Many really do not bother to learn that there is no comparison between BP and the choices of smokeless.
Heck, it seems there are some 'reloaders' who fail to realize there are differences in smokless powders as well.

I have read (on various websites) people asking questions about 'how much powder' a certain load will require, or describing powders for a load that are not even intended for the caliber they are describing. It's as though they have little to no knowledge there is a difference in powders. Scary stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews