JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Replacing a couple AR milspec triggers. Not looking for "combat" durability. A couple have been suggested.
Rise Armament Rave 140 and Larue MBT. Any comments of personal experience appreciated.
Thanx

really like my Geissele SSA-E. They typically go on sale for Memorial Day.
Still my go-to for all the family ARs.

On the recommendation of a couple buddies who are way more into ARs than I am, I picked up a Rise Armament trigger last year on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse, but haven't installed it yet in a rifle.

No experience with the Larue triggers.

For a 2-stage, the Larue MBT (solid S7), Velocity (DLC finish, steel case/rimfire 4lb option), TriggerTech (if spending $200+ is your thing), or HiperFire (8120 cast steel). Or a nickel boron mil spec trigger by WMD complete with a NiB-X disconnector for high humidity & saltwater. I don't like Geissele & Schmid 2-stage triggers for many reasons.

Last Edited:
Replacing a couple AR milspec triggers. Not looking for "combat" durability. A couple have been suggested.
Rise Armament Rave 140 and Larue MBT. Any comments of personal experience appreciated.
Thanx
Both of those triggers are excellent . Your choice. The Rise Armament one is a drop in, and the LaRue is a 2 piece trigger. You'll get 40 people giving you 40 different choices. Choose one and you'll be happy with it

There is the POF 4lb single stage trigger. I like mine. There's not much feel or take up. It just breaks. The Rise 140 is a good compromise. I have both the PSA & LaRue 2-stage. One isn't significantly better than the other but all are an improvement over stock triggers.

I can't speak on $200+ triggers, but don't see the need outside of, want, which is a good reason. Can anyone say there is a significant difference on the SSA-E?

If you're talking drop-ins, I run several Rise triggers and quite like them. I haven't tried the RAVE, but I have a couple of the 140-SST's. Essentially the same animal. It really does depend on how you want to use your rifles.

The 140's have a very light pull and are good for precision shooting, but not as ideal for rougher on-the-go shooting. Also not as ideal if your tactile senses are inhibited by gloves or such.

For those type of applications I prefer their LE145. A marginally heavier pull (4.5lb) and the drop safety feature is a plus.

If you have multiple rifles I really like the bang for your buck factor and reliability.

Last Edited:
If you're talking drop-ins, I run several Risa triggers and quite like them. I haven't tried the RAVE, but I have a couple of the 140-SST's. Essentially the same animal. It really does depend on how you want to use your rifles.
Risa?

1714330355107.png

I have an MBT, a couple SSA-E's and a few SSA triggers. I like each of these a lot. I'd be cautious with the SSA-E on a self-defense gun. Unless you practice with it a lot, you may find the trigger pull a bit light for that application. I use the SSA-E on bench shooting guns, and the SSA on defensive weapons.

As said, a lot depends on your goals and budget.

I mainly just use "stock" triggers. I have a Bushmaster Varminter with 2 stage trigger that I really like on my target rifle. I recently set up 2 more AR's that I wanted to improve accuracy on so one step was to upgrade the triggers. After a lot of reading I went with the MBT and I am happy. While there are better triggers, they are very hard to beat for the price, which can often be found for $99.

There is the POF 4lb single stage trigger. I like mine. There's not much feel or take up. It just breaks. The Rise 140 is a good compromise. I have both the PSA & LaRue 2-stage. One isn't significantly better than the other but all are an improvement over stock triggers.

I can't speak on $200+ triggers, but don't see the need outside of, want, which is a good reason. Can anyone say there is a significant difference on the SSA-E?
The 4 lb thing reminds me of the Jerry michulek trigger. It's 1.5 lbs right out of the box and has a crazy short reset! It is adjustable though if not going for Jerry type fast fire. Personally I like the Larue 2 stage trigger a lot. Cheap and feels excellent.

If you're going for precision marksmanship, I'd recommend a 2-stage. Lots of decent ones out there. Had surprisingly good luck with AT3's 2-stage, great bang for the buck. If you're going home defense / battle worthy, the SSA is a good choice.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top