JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not looking forward to it happening, but one day he's going to die right there in front of our eyes. And you know what? It will be his very own fault.

Seeing this almost a disaster happen makes me glad that here in our part of the world, military surplus ammunition, when we see it, that is, can only be bought in its unopened packaging/containers, and there are NO sales of loose ammunition either. That guy has not even the foggiest idea of the origin of that ammunition, relying on hearsay only.

Makes me wonder who tests YOUR stateside ammunition, as all US-made stuff sold here is CIP compliant. Who checks yours?

Last Edited:
I'm not looking forward to it happening, but one day he's going to die right there in front of our eyes. And you know what? It will be his very own fault.

Seeing this almost a disaster happen makes me glad that here in our part of the world, military surplus ammunition, when we see it, that is, can only be bought in its unopened packaging/containers, and there are NO sales of loose ammunition either. That guy has not even the foggiest idea of the origin of that ammunition, relying on hearsay only.

Makes me wonder who tests YOUR stateside ammunition, as all US-made stuff sold here is CIP compliant. Who checks yours?
Ammo like the SLAP and Raufoss often comes from some enlisted person pocketing them during a training season.

Go to any pawn shop near Ft. Lewis and you will find more than the normal percentage of Army gear inside - generally helmets and other gear.

I got my Raufoss and SLAP at the WAC show in Puyallup from a guy who regularly sold authentic "surplus" special purpose ammo. But it was all loose ammo. I sold all of it except one round each for my collection. I no longer have a .50 BMG rifle.

Others sometimes sold crap reloaded .50 ammo, including sabot loads were obviously reloaded by some amateur. I no longer buy reloaded ammo - regardless of the source; you just do not know what is in it or how many times it had been previously shot.

My first thought…..this isn't exactly the best look for Serbu. :D
I have noticed the other YouTube folks haven't been shooting theirs much lately.

I think that video would have definitely given me motivation to sell the gun if I owned one.

Well, here in UK, as ever, things are just a it different. SLAP and Raufoss ammunition is not on sale to anybody who just wants a few to see what it's like. Ammunition sales are face-to-face only, with all sales registered both on your Firearms Certificate [FAC] and the vendor's computer, which is linked to the firearms and explosives licensing organisation in the county police HQ. Moreover, having been in the Army for a goodly percentage of my lifetime, we are required to hand in the brass for ALL ammunition expended, and return any that is not. While I'm sure that petty pilfering may go on , I'd just like to bring to your attention the declaration, made on the range, by any person engaged in shooting on that range.

You are drawn up to attention and the words of command of the RCO follow - 'I remind you that it is an offence to remove from any live-firing range, any live round, empty case or pyrotechnic. I will now pass in front of you and you will individually make the following declaration to me - 'I have no live rounds, empty cases or pyrotechnics in my possession, SIR!'

'For inspection, PORT ARMS!' Show CLEAR! [he then inspects every weapon to see that it, and any magazines, are clear - this is in spite of them having been cleared leave the firing point art the cessation of shooting].

After all have made their declaration, and before they are dismissed, the RCO will say 'IF, however, you subsequently find that you have inadvertently removed from the range any live rounds, empty cases or pyrotechnics, you are to hand them to me and to nobody else. Dismissed!'

Being found in illegal possession of ammunition is not only an offence under the Army Act, but also in Civil Law, and you will therefore be charged with a double offence under the Army Act.

1. Making a false declaration and being found in possession etc.

2. Committing an offence under the Army Act of breaking Civil Law.

Both involve custodial sentences in the pokey - MCTC Colchester, and MAY lead to dismissal from HM Forces with a dishonourable discharge. It will be a marker to any police force in the country, too, and will probably ensure that you will never obtain a Firearms Certificate.

As was discussed recently in a private conversation between me and other member here, there are passing few shooters of .50cal in this country, although the 50cal Association is thriving, and competes regularly in the USA in better times. The cost of the rifles itself can be something of a hindrance, and although MILSURP ammunition IS available, it is sold only on the range to those authorised to have it. Most are handloaders, even if they start off by buying MILSURP. Given that the factory stuff is around $12 a shot and MILSURP about $6, they can't be blamed for that, and even if the equipment is hugely expensive, you only buy it once.

See - https://www.fcsa.co.uk/

As for the Serbu device, I'm not making any more comments about it/them, except to say that they are not sold here, and that to my way of thinking, there is no such thing as an economy-grade .50cal firearm.

And lastly, for your delight and delectation - here is the most recent sales page from the FCSA site - BTW, Warcop is one of our long-range, uh, ranges, in the North - it's well-worth a visit on those odd days in UK when you have nothing else to do. Bear in mind, however, the all-important UK/US travelling distance equation - ONE USAM*** = between five and twenty-eight UKM****. Plan your vacation-time accordingly.

The following items in BOLD are for sale to club members only (Collection only), all other items available to FAC holders with relevant authority to acquire.

50BMG primers*Location: Club secretary (Warcop)Stock available: 500£40 per 100
US869 powderLocation: Club secretary (Warcop)Stock available 9Lbs£40 per 1Lb keg
H50BMG powderLocation: North London (member)SOLD OUT£40 per 1Lb keg
Tracer bullets**Location: Club secretaryStock available: 30,000£1.20 each
Spotter bullets**Location: Club secretaryStock available: 8000£1.50 each
705grn EP Monolithic bulletsLocation: Club secretaryStock available: 1000£1.50 each
300gn .338 SMKLocation: Club secretaryStock available: 150075p each
750gn AMAX bulletsLocation: Club secretary (Warcop)Stock available: 2000£2.50 each
750gn AMAX bulletsLocation: North London (member)Stock available: enq£2.50 each
Loaded .50BMG tracer ammoLocation: Club secretary (Warcop)Stock available: 1000's£4.50 each
100x Loaded .50BMG tracer ammoLocation: Club secretary (Warcop)Stock available: 1000's£400

* Primers are currently limited to 100 per member.

** These are long burn tracers & tracer spotters, machine pulled and may show some slight marks from the removal process. They are clean and shoot very well, almost zero failure rate. Approximate tracer weight is 638gns.

***United States of America mile.

****United Kingdom mile.

Last Edited:
Moreover, having been in the Army for a goodly percentage of my lifetime, we are required to hand in the brass for ALL ammunition expended, and return any that is not.
The same is more or less true for the US military - ammo has to be accounted for during training - more or less. But stuff gets pocketed nonetheless. *shrug*

Back when I was enlisted, brass was left lying on the ground at the range during training, and there was no real accounting going on, but in the USCG at the time the typical unit did not have or shoot very much ammo - the SAR unit I was at had no long guns that I was aware of, only 1911s for occasional use in drug interdiction - which was rare at the time.

The same is more or less true for the US military - ammo has to be accounted for during training - more or less. But stuff gets pocketed nonetheless. *shrug*

Back when I was enlisted, brass was left lying on the ground at the range during training, and there was no real accounting going on, but in the USCG at the time the typical unit did not have or shoot very much ammo - the SAR unit I was at had no long guns that I was aware of, only 1911s for occasional use in drug interdiction - which was rare at the time.
Ah, the difference here is that we have no 'more or less'. Ammunition issued for range use was signed for and signed back - a couple of thousand shots fired = a couple of thousand empties. Ranges have to left in exactly the same condition as when you arrived - clean and tidy and case-free. It's different for infantry drills like CQC and FIBUA - there the site staff were responsible for policing the site and collecting all the fired blank cases. Armoured vehicles on the range shooting their co-ax guns, the same deal.

Ah, the difference here is that we have no 'more or less'. Ammunition issued for range use was signed for and signed back - a couple of thousand shots fired = a couple of thousand empties. Ranges have to left in exactly the same condition as when you arrived - clean and tidy and case-free. It's different for infantry drills like CQC and FIBUA - there the site staff were responsible for policing the site and collecting all the fired blank cases. Armoured vehicles on the range shooting their co-ax guns, the same deal.
Since .50 BMG is often shot in exercises that are often held in very open terrain, that is not a controlled range (from my understanding), it would be difficult to account for expended ammo. E.G., The Yakima Training Center

Since .50 BMG is often shot in exercises that are often held in very open terrain, that is not a controlled range (from my understanding), it would be difficult to account for expended ammo. E.G., The Yakima Training Center
We don't have 'very open terrain' where we shoot .50cal in the infantry support role. Everywhere in the UK that we shoot on is a controlled range.

I've ended up with several live .50BMG rounds that rolled into my CVC bag through my open hatch while out on gunnery maneuvers several times. They ended up in an ammo amnesty box when I found them. Spent casings go everywhere on those tanks, along with any ejected live ones.

I've ended up with several live .50BMG rounds that rolled into my CVC bag through my open hatch while out on gunnery maneuvers several times. They ended up in an ammo amnesty box when I found them. Spent casings go everywhere on those tanks, along with any ejected live ones.
Yup. But unlike the UK, you probably wouldn't be looking down the barrel of a jail term for admitting you had them, or having them found on your person or in your gear.

o6egaqzlr0j81.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR