JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_9729.JPG Was a nice Badger .45-70 barrel on a Paul Shuttleworth Stevens. No damage except to my pride & pocketbook.

Yes. A beautiful nickel plated .44-40 (Italian knock off SAA) on the third shot of the day, it went boom and blew three chambers off to never never land. Gun was ruined of course, I took one small piece of said .44-40 in the forehead and my ears rang for hours. I sent it back to EMF and to their credit...sent me a new one. They saw the remaining 3 bullets were factory Winchester loadings and figured the metal between the chambers was flawed. True story.

I've had two that happened to me:

• My father's Jennings in .22 LR completely destroyed itself on box number one of ammo. Slide cracked, etc.
  • I had an older Webley break the latch during firing. Not nearly as dramatic as the aforementioned, but disconcerting.
There was also an incident at the local gun club I missed by, literal, minutes; a fellow was shooting a Weatherby hunting rifle, the bolt came right off, hit him in the head, and he perished. Scary stuff.

With the thought of being hit in the head with a firearm part.....

If you are shooting a percussion firearm , make sure that your nipples are snug and tight and have good threads.
( Yeah I know that last bit reads funny...:D )
Blow back gas from shooting can drive the nipple backwards...the same if the nipple threads are weak , worn or corroded.
Andy

I'll elaborate another time.

S&W 59-2
Catastrophic metallurgical failure of the barrel that bulged the frame and slide.
This was a total chamber failure.
Not a squib
Factory ammunition from a "qualified" lot. (all other rounds in that lot were nominal)
All fractures were instantaneous in nature and exhibited no signs of progressive failure.
In short, the chamber exploded like safety glass.
This, after 4 trips back to the mothership to cure OOB, feed, safety, and broken firing pin.
I haven't touched, let alone fired an S&W auto pistol since.
To S&W's credit, upon receiving the carbon arced pieces of the pistol along with a vehement letter and all the previous records of repair, saw fit to graciously, more than reimburse me, for my purchase and trouble.

Small failures like firing pins and extractors, maybe 100 times. Catastrophic failures never. I'm highly conscientious around guns. But I've also been lucky because some of those old milsurps aren't in the best condition.

I have stopped someone from nearly destroying a rifle. Couple of times. This is why I prefer to go to the range alone.

No kabooms for me but did wake up one night after reloading some ammo and thought " oh crap" my load was supposed to be 5.3 grains and I set my scale at 5+3. Those loads were pushing +p levels at 5.3. Glad I woke up and realized my mistake. I had to break down 200 rounds and redo them.

50 ish years ago, 3 of us driving from central Central Oregon to Portland. drinking and other things. I opened the glove box to find a .22 revolver, driver starts to say "don't cock it and let the hammer go. BANG, too late, bullet hits the dash and bounces off "63 chevy" 2 door. the driver explains that for some reason the hammer won't latch in the cocked position. down the road a ways we come upon CJ'S chevron, don't remember exactly what time it was but it was dark, we pull in and ask the jocky if we could trade said revolver for some gas, jocky says sure, a deal was struck, we got some gas and pulled out. on the way out the driveway the driver hollers out "BE CAREFUL WITH THAT "BANG"!! thing. that is all I know about that deal.
Kids! :eek: What else can be said?

We where shooting coyotes on the edge of a golf course my supervisor had the 22 mag with the thunder trap suppressor. On his 4th shot he had a squib load and we both watched the bullet hit way low of the dog (had already killed the female and some pups) he didn't rack another round and the suppressor started to whistle like a piccolo Pete! As he was in the process setting it down it completely exploded sending shrapnel every direction! We sent the firearm and what was left of the suppressor back to the manufacturer. They sent us a new setup and basically claimed it never happened they had no answer for what took place.
Poetic justice.

No kabooms for me but did wake up one night after reloading some ammo and thought " oh crap" my load was supposed to be 5.3 grains and I set my scale at 5+3. Those loads were pushing +p levels at 5.3. Glad I woke up and realized my mistake. I had to break down 200 rounds and redo them.
Freaky.... SomeOne or SomeThing was speaking thru your Unconscious Mind... glad you heard it! 😴

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top