JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep. I get thats its fiction.
But then thats where the trouble starts. I have heard way too many people spout a "Fact" from a show , book or movie that was indeed a "historical switch-up".
When folks don't understand the difference or when the switch-up becomes accepted fact is what drives me crazy.
I like your phrase 'historical switch-up" I might just have to use it when showing our antique guns ...
Andy

Last Edited:
Yep. I get thats its fiction.
But then thats where the trouble starts. I have heard way too many people spout a "Fact" from a show , book or movie that was indeed a "historical switch-up".
When folks don't understand the difference or when the switch-up becomes accepted fact is what drives me crazy.
I like your phrase 'historical switch-up" I might just have to use it when I showing our antique guns ...
Andy

My wife and I enjoy history. As we watch the show, we find ourselves doing research on the characters and events to try and understand the difference between the show and reality. Surprisingly enough, they have left plenty of real history intact. Where I think it gets tough is with the characters themselves - many carry the names of real historical characters, and in some cases, they do follow along proper historical lines, in many cases they do not. But you are right, it's best not to quote a television show (unless perhaps a proper documentary) as fact until you've done your research to confirm it first. I don't know how many folks bother to take the extra step to do that research.

Now, how to get my wife interested in the Walking Dead - she says she won't watch it because it's not based on reality. I always tell her "no, it's not......yet...." ;)

One if the biggest historical switch-ups concerns the character of John Graves Simcoe. In the show he's a rotten, nasty British captain who loves blood and violence. In real life he was not that way, was considered a very good man and is even honored each year in Canada where he became a governor after the war.

Yup. You sure don't get to name a lake after a POS.

tac

Yup. You sure don't get to name a lake after a POS.

tac

Yeah, I don't know why they chose to go that route with a well-documented historical figure. From the accounts I read on Simcoe, he was quite an honorable man, well liked. I would have thought perhaps they could have created a different character rather than drag his name through the mud.

It's not a liberal thing. It's not a democrat thing. It's a statist thing.

It matters how you conceptually split society. The rulers hope you keep whacking each other. "Divide and conquer", their oldest and most reliable tool.

We have a St*rbucks AND a Costa in our local town - never been in either of 'em, me. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too poor, y'see, for that kind of expenditure on hot brown water.

I tell ya, there are some seriously rich folks in this town, and you can see them sat on their little chairs outside these public self-agrandisement locations, laffing, spitting and flicking snot-balls at the beggars, lepers, the lame and sundry other cripples that line the streets here.

Not to mention the walking dead...

tac

During the assault weapons ban of 94 I remember them talking about wanting to ban all guns ever used by the military.

Then when they realized it would ban pretty much every firearm on the market and they knew that would not sell so they just went with the evil black rifles (AR15) and the communist counterpart (AK47) along with a few others as it would be easier to sell than banning Grandpa Joe's 03A3 hunting rifle and his Winchester 12 gauge.

Now it is those evil "Sniper Rifles" that we will hear about and just like the Assault rifle there is no real definition as to what it is. The reason there is no definition is because it is easier to sell the lie to the sheeple masses.

Any rifle can be used to assault someone or as a sniper rifle and we all know it and so does the anti gun leaders but to the uninformed masses the term takes the focus off the hunting rifle keeping the hunters happy and just puts the focus on certain things like heavy bbls, certain calibers, custom triggers, scopes, bipods and anything else they deem as evil and can sell as a bad thing because why do we need these items to hunt deer. By doing this it will thin out what rifles we can own and by taking them off the market it is just one more step towards a total ban.

Last Edited:
I'll just say it again, and then leave it alone.

A sniper is a specially-trained MILITARY person. The rifle he uses is called a sniping rifle.

All else is wannabe.

tac
Except maybe back in the olde days (didn't check a book so sue me) when there was no "military" back here in the United States of America.. when we put the whoop arse on jolly old from behind trees and whatnot.. sniping and hitting the mark and all.
History!

Tac, I respect what you are trying to say and I agree with you. A "sniper rifle" is a rifle used by a trained military sniper. No if's and or buts about it. A trained military sniper can take a regular ol hunting rifle like my 9.3x62mm African big game rifle and use it as a sniper. Hell, he might even be able to shoot it better than I can:

;)

IMG_0583_zps9d3614f8.jpg 1118120922_zps51f9790f.jpg

Except maybe back in the olde days (didn't check a book so sue me) when there was no "military" back here in the United States of America.. when we put the whoop arse on jolly old from behind trees and whatnot.. sniping and hitting the mark and all.
History!

Please find for me the word 'sniper' in contemporary documentation, and I'll go away.

Point of order - at the time that you are talking about there was no 'United States of America'.

tac

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads