JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup. With a number of factory additions -

1. Hard-chromed bore.

2. Extra weight in the butt for stability during long stake-outs. The wood, I'm told, is VERY dense to begin with.

3. Weaver rail.

4. 1-9 twist for heavier bullets up to 200gr [!]

I've put around 6000 full-load shots down it so far and it's not showing any signs of 'tiredness'. It needs a firm haul-down on the stock against the well-loaded bipod - it's pretty lively in spite of the 14.8 lb weight as you see it.

tac

I never forget a face, but in your case, I'll be glad to make an exception.
monkeylib.gif

@etrain16 I hope you don't mind. I could not resist. It just "fit"

Last Edited:
Unknown-4.jpeg Another bit of trouble is that if you look hard enough , you find references that state that the English felt that the American Long rifle was a "Sniper" rifle.
The rifle pictured is a Derringer trade rifle circa 18 teens or so.
It still shoots and there ain't no way I'm giving it up 'cause someone wants to outlaw "Sniper Rifles".
Andy

View attachment 307578 Another bit of trouble is that if you look hard enough , you find references that state that the English felt that the American Long rifle was a "Sniper" rifle.
The rifle pictured is a Derringer trade rifle circa 18 teens or so.
It still shoots and there ain't no way I'm giving it up 'cause someone wants to outlaw "Sniper Rifles".
Andy

I've heard the "Kentucky" long rifle was considered one of the first 'sniper' rifles. Any truth to that rumor?

Well, that did cross my mind. I was hesitant, then said, to heck with it.
I may get a spankin!! OOPS :oops:

I will delete (or they will) if requested

By the way, That meme is MILD my friend, compared to what I've created. :D

Well, that did cross my mind. I was hesitant, then said, to heck with it.
I may get a spankin!! OOPS :oops:

I will delete (or they will) if requested

By the way, That meme is MILD my friend, compared to what I've created. :D

I try to follow the rules of the forum as much as possible, out of respect for the rules established by Joe. That said, I've come very, very close to crossing those lines from time to time. Depends on how I'm feeling any particular day ;)

I refrain from a lot of threads. My making comments. My faucet will flow if I've had a beer or two.
I've deleted more than I post. I've never gotten a warning. Although, this time (above) may give me a tick mark. Live and learn, the limits in life they say.

I refrain from a lot of threads. My making comments. My faucet will flow if I've had a beer or two.
I've deleted more than I post. I've never gotten a warning. Although, this time (above) may give me a tick mark. Live and learn, the limits in life they say.

I leave many things unsaid here that I may say in person. Age is teaching me how to better moderate my own thoughts and words - a lesson I still have to continue to learn :rolleyes:

I've heard the "Kentucky" long rifle was considered one of the first 'sniper' rifles. Any truth to that rumor?
I would say yes.
Timothy Murphy comes to mind. He was a rifleman at the battle of Saratoga ( 1777 ) who killed two English generals at or around 300 yards.
He was part of Morgan's Riflemen.
At the battle of Bunker ( Breeds ) hill the English asked if the American Riflemen would stop targeting their officers
The boys with Andrew Jackson also come to mind , with their shooting at the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.
There was a famous song after the battle called "The hunters of Kentucky" which is one of the first references to the name Kentucky Rifles.
All of this open to question of course. But with the targeting of officers or individuals and shooting from a fixed hidden position , then yes I would say that at times the American long rifle* and its rifleman was employed as a Sniper with a sniper rifle.

*I say American Long rifle because while made famous in kentucky or by men from kentucky , A few states vie for its origin.
Pennsylvania , Maryland and Virginia all had excellent rifle makers at one time.
So there ya go ... Sorry so long winded so early in the morning LOL.
Andy

I would say yes.
Timothy Murphy comes to mind. He was a rifleman at the battle of Saratoga ( 1777 ) who killed two English generals at or around 300 yards.
He was part of Morgan's Riflemen.
At the battle of Bunker ( Breeds ) hill the English asked if the American Riflemen would stop targeting their officers
The boys with Andrew Jackson also come to mind , with their shooting at the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.
There was a famous song after the battle called "The hunters of Kentucky" which is one of the first references to the name Kentucky Rifles.
All of this open to question of course. But with the targeting of officers or individuals and shooting from a fixed hidden position , then yes I would say that at times the American long rifle* and its rifleman was employed as a Sniper with a sniper rifle.

*I say American Long rifle because while made famous in kentucky or by men from kentucky , A few states vie for its origin.
Pennsylvania , Maryland and Virginia all had excellent rifle makers at one time.
So there ya go ... Sorry so long winded so early in the morning LOL.
Andy

Good answer! Thanks for that. I've heard of the Pennsylvania rifle too. In fact, in the series "Turn, Washington's Spies", in one episode, they help clear a man accused of shooting someone else by trying to have them load the recovered round into the gun supposedly used to shoot the man. They try and load the ball and can't, then a British officer tries to load the ball and can't - showing the larger diameter ball was actually fired from a smooth-bore musket, not the accused shooter's Pennsylvania rifle.

You are very welcome etrain.
I've tried to watch Turn ... But just couldn't get around some of 21st century outlooks or spins on historic events I was seeing in the show.
Maybe I'll give it another try.
Andy

You are very welcome etrain.
I've tried to watch Turn ... But just couldn't get around some of 21st century outlooks or spins on historic events I was seeing in the show.
Maybe I'll give it another try.
Andy

It's TV fiction loosely based on historical fact, and so I take it always with that in mind. I know the folks over at Colonial Williamsburg are big fans of the show, probably in part because the show is filmed in and around Virginia, and in and around Colonial Williamsburg.

One if the biggest historical switch-ups concerns the character of John Graves Simcoe. In the show he's a rotten, nasty British captain who loves blood and violence. In real life he was not that way, was considered a very good man and is even honored each year in Canada where he became a governor after the war.

For me, it's all in good fun with some real history thrown in :)

They will release the 4th and final season next spring.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top