JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Screenshot_2019-08-04_203940.jpg

From what I saw on the news this morning.
It looks like a family thing that got way out of control.
He killed his sister and her boyfriend and other people at a bar or something like that.

I think so often the real question, the one that is the hardest of all to contemplate, is completely ignored. No, I don't mean firearms legislation. Nor even our thoroughly broken mental health system and what must be done to fix it. No, I am talking of something far deeper: what is it in our national psyche and character has created and environment that these type of things are a regular occurrence? There have always been, and likely always will be, hate mongers and madmen. And the tools for such evil minds to harm innocents. But what changed in our country's soul in the last few decades? I don't think these attacks will stop until we get to the core and change from a society driven by division and hated to tolerance and love.

The cultural degradation we're seeing is fundamentally a spiritual sickness.

Violence, sexual depravity, etc are common - especially in entertainment. The abortion fiasco has resulted in so many dead babies, there's now a market for the buying, selling, and using of dead babies' body parts. The list of our nation's shameful acts is long and disheartening.

Unless we repent as a nation, I don't see any way out of the mess the USA has become.

Hope for the best, friends - but prepare for the worst. On days like today, I'm reminded of William Stafford's poem "A Ritual To Read To Each Other".

A Ritual to Read to Each Other

BY WILLIAM E. STAFFORD

If you don't know the kind of person I am

and I don't know the kind of person you are

a pattern that others made may prevail in the world

and following the wrong god home we may miss our star.

For there is many a small betrayal in the mind,

a shrug that lets the fragile sequence break

sending with shouts the horrible errors of childhood

storming out to play through the broken dike.

And as elephants parade holding each elephant's tail,

but if one wanders the circus won't find the park,

I call it cruel and maybe the root of all cruelty

to know what occurs but not recognize the fact.

And so I appeal to a voice, to something shadowy,

a remote important region in all who talk:

though we could fool each other, we should consider—

lest the parade of our mutual life get lost in the dark.

For it is important that awake people be awake,

or a breaking line may discourage them back to sleep;

the signals we give — yes or no, or maybe —

should be clear: the darkness around us is deep.

From what I saw on the news this morning.
It looks like a family thing that got way out of control.
Not really. Lots of mass shootings start with killing family members. Adam Lanza killed his mom before mowing down a classroom of first graders.

Connor Betts was disciplined in high school for having "kill lists" of students he hated. Too bad that incident couldn't have permanently flagged a NICS check for him, or 8 people could have been alive.

These words from the POTUS can't mean anything good for freedom:

Addressing reporters in Morristown, New Jersey, Trump promised "we're going to take care" of the problem. He said he's been speaking to the attorney general, FBI director and members of Congress and will be making an additional statement Monday morning.

He said the problem of shootings has been going on "for years and years" and "we have to get it stopped."

Edit Sen. Graham put in his two cents as well:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1157814472620335106
"El Paso shooting is sick and senseless.

Time to do more than pray. Time to enact common-sense legislation in Congress to empower states to deal with those who present a danger to themselves and others — while respecting robust due process."

Last Edited:
These words from the POTUS can't mean anything good for freedom:

Addressing reporters in Morristown, New Jersey, Trump promised "we're going to take care" of the problem. He said he's been speaking to the attorney general, FBI director and members of Congress and will be making an additional statement Monday morning.

He said the problem of shootings has been going on "for years and years" and "we have to get it stopped."

If the government responds to the actions of others by penalizing the good citizens of the community they are no better then a wife beater beating his wife because he's had a bad day.

It might call for a divorce.

The same people who decide if someone is part of Al Qaeda or ISIS. Have them make the decisions.

Like the shadowy government officials who put people on secret "terrorist watch lists" without due process?

To get on the Terrorism Screening Database, U.S. officials nominate an individual whom they have "reasonable suspicion" to believe is engaged in or aiding terrorist activities. There must also be a sufficient level of identifying information to include an individual on the list. There have been, and continue to be, legal battles over whether proper avenues for redress exist to get off the No Fly list.

Denying rights to American citizens based on the "reasonable suspicion" of anonymous government officials with no due process? No thanks.

The way out is to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable individuals.

In a nation of 247 million adults, how are we going to identify all of these "mentally unstable individuals"? It would take a police state. Even if you could identify them - you can't without an intrusive police state - how are you going to "keep guns out of their hands"? The same way we keep guns out of the hands of criminals? How's that working out?

I don't pretend to have the answer to this problem, but I know spouting all kinds of unrealistic, simplistic "solutions" isn't the answer.

Dang, Ohio murderer used poverty pony lower with what could be the PSA pistol kit with KAK Blade. I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be use this incident to "tweak" the rules and restrict pistol builds in some way.
Firearm-used.jpg

And why did he kill his sister? Very strange stuff.
Like the shadowy government officials who put people on secret "terrorist watch lists" without due process?

Denying rights to American citizens based on the "reasonable suspicion" of anonymous government officials with no due process? No thanks.

In a nation of 247 million adults, how are we going to identify all of these "mentally unstable individuals"? It would take a police state. Even if you could identify them - you can't without an intrusive police state - how are you going to "keep guns out of their hands"? The same way we keep guns out of the hands of criminals? How's that working out?

I don't pretend to have the answer to this problem, but I know spouting all kinds of unrealistic, simplistic "solutions" isn't the answer.
I agree, and the reality is we are just going to have to live with these types of events if we want to be a free people.

Last Edited:
Everytime I see these shootings and the response, I think of how many traffic fatalities there are every year and wonder why its not daily news.
This poor guy tried to make a similar point on twitter and has been vilified for it.

I agree with you and the good Doctor.

To all who prefer peaceful slavery over dangerous liberty, Canada made the same choice and they're just across the border. In the name of God, GO, and may your chains set as lightly upon you as theirs do on them...

Last Edited:
This poor guy tried to make a similar point on twitter and has been vilified for it.

Confirmation bias - people don't want to hear anything contrary to their beliefs and will blindly accept anything presented that supports them.

Already rode the same horse on FB yesterday when a niece mentioned the shooting and gave her advice on staying safe with situational awareness, and noting things like defensive barriers and exits.

She and her parents were good with it and my SIL even commented that it was the same advice she had taught them, but others were offended that I suggested personal responsibility for their safety. They will never understand that there is a risk associated with any activity and safety is just an illusion. It's unlikely if you go swimming at the beach you will encounter a shark, but it can happen. It's your responsibility to scan the ocean every so often. These folks would instead demand shark control laws and then expect the sharks to stay away.

And, yes I was F bombed multiple times by people I have never met for challenging their illusion of safety.

This article says it all.
This guy should have never been allowed to buy a firearm.

We don't need more gun laws.
We need more reporting, and communicating between agencies.

People like this should be marked for life and be unable to buy firearms.

Same with all the roaming mental cases in Portland, Seattle, and San Fran.

We need more mental hospitals. Lock these people up and throw away the key if they can't live inside of societies laws and rules

Nope local guy. I own more guns than you'll ever hope to. Not trolling. Just throwing down. First amendment and all.Okay with you?
Well if you are such a tier-1 expert, then you should have the intelligence to understand dumping your 30 rounders in the scrap heap as a means of solving the problem is delusional at best. Anyone with reasonable motor skills can drop a mag and replace it with another 5/10/20/30 rounder in a couple seconds. This is me using my 1st Amendment privileges as well

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews