JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Re: Dayton where not to go
5 years ago

The Oregon District is a funky sort of area and that's attractive to many. But safe? Think again. I visited the area (I'm a native) with my visiting niece and I didn't feel threatened, but I didn't feel like going back. And that was during the DAY.

This is a horrible story!

Condolences to the deceased victims family and friends. May the wounded victims survive.

I was reading the news elsewhere and a link popped up regarding this breaking news story. You can listen to the police scanner online.

Cate

We have seen this at Portland strip clubs. A guy gets thrown out and comes back shooting. Usually a bouncer is carrying and puts the guy down.

At first I thought this was a 2am "let out" fight. Those are common in Urban areas.

[/QUOQUOTE
Re: Dayton where not to go
5 years ago

The Oregon District is a funky sort of area and that's attractive to many. But safe? Think again. I visited the area (I'm a native) with my visiting niece and I didn't feel threatened, but I didn't feel like going back. And that was during the DAY.

The D will be using this 24 Hour period in their debates etc . And get the Anti all pumped up . A few ruin a good thing for all

1 minute reponse vs 6 minute response. Kudos to Dayton LEOs for quick response and saving the justice system a lot of resources.

Last Edited:
Anybody else starting to think somebody's priming these nutbars and cueing 'em when to go off for maximum messaging effect?

Yes yes and hell yes!!! NO one can tell me that the elections around the corner and these shootings don't have something in common. If the general public can't see it then people need to open there damn eyes to what is happening in this world and what is coming!!!

In this country it's young white males fired up by a racist president with no limits on their ability to access firearms that are doing the killing. Non whites do their share of killing each other but these mass shootings all seem to follow the same pattern. Loner wanna be young white male who gets sucked up into racist radical dogma . Potus needs to take a stand and show some leadership. If he doesn't, others will. This has all gotten way beyond acceptable and has to stop. If I have to give up my 30 round magazines so be it. It is time to roll. Enough of this kind of madness.

Wow, troll much?

Whenever there is a shooting...

It is not the fault of :
The gun , ammo or the magazines capacity...
So called "Easy" access or availability of firearms...
The vast majority of gun owners...
The President....whoever it may be at the time...

It is the fault of the shooters....their actions , their decisions ...made them do this.

Evil comes in many forms...no one group has a monopoly on it.
Andy

It is not the fault of :

It is the fault of the shooters....their actions , their decisions ...made them do this.

Andy
Wise words Andy!

Nope local guy. I own more guns than you'll ever hope to. Not trolling. Just throwing down. First amendment and all.Okay with you?

Certainly feels like there is something bigger going on here. I am not a "Tin Foil Hat" person, but hard to believe this increasing intensity of heinous acts is coincidental.

Stay safe out there.

Looks like there was a little thread cleaning already. @Oya, you're free to give up whatever you like if it makes you feel better. Just understand that there's plenty of the rest of us who aren't givin' up sh!t. Thanks for dropping by to point fingers and spread misinformation.

It is not the fault of :

Andy
There is a serious lack of personal responsiblity among the people in our nation these days. People need to own their actions.

And for all here....lets not turn this into another "great Left vs. Right " debate...

We here in America , the day after a mass shooting have yet another one.
America is more than a simple case of Left vs. Right..
Just as I said in my first post here...
No one group has a monopoly on evil...no one group has a monopoly on good either.

The problems we all face , are our problems...bickering , pointing fingers ....arguing : "My guy is better than your guy"...
Do nothing to help move us forward together.

Are there "group problems" ...? Yes.
By group problems I am talking of :
The extremes of both sides , taking over and making the extreme seem the "norm"...
Meanwhile the folks in the middle get squeezed out and are forced to side with one extreme or another.
People "feeding off the actions " of others and then have that influence their actions...
Overall lack of individual lack of thinking and the "towing the line " of thinking , that one party or the other espouses...

With that said ...
Painting broad brush strokes and using blanket statements ...does not help at all....
The misuse of facts both actual and those spun to push an agenda , also play a huge role in harming us all.

We as individuals can still act...we can still be accountable and powerful...
E. Pluribus Unum...Out of Many , One....that is our country's motto...Lets get back to it.
Andy

Anybody else starting to think somebody's priming these nutbars and cueing 'em when to go off for maximum messaging effect?

There's a reason why these happen in rapid succession, but it isn't some kind of conspiracy:

Mass Killings Inspire Copycats, Study Finds

Police have said so for years and now scientists have measured the effect: Mass shootings and school attacks do inspire copycats.
As many as 20 to 30 percent of attacks are set off by other attacks, according to researchers at Arizona State University and Northeastern Illinois University. The effect lasts about 13 days, they write in the report published Thursday in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS ONE.

How the Media Inspires Mass Shooters
And 7 ways news outlets can help prevent copycat attacks.

...Journalism can be a powerful force for change, and news organizations should not flinch at reporting on mass shootings. But what the Daily News editors didn't realize was that this sensational approach can possibly do more than perturb or offend. Such images provide the notoriety mass killers crave and can even be a jolt of inspiration for the next shooter.

The next one struck just five weeks later, in Oregon. The 26-year-old man who murdered nine and wounded nine others at Umpqua Community College last Thursday had posted comments expressing admiration for the Virginia killer, apparently impressed with his social-media achievement: "His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems like the more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight."

Since the 1980s, forensic investigators have found examples of mass killers emulating their most famous predecessors. Now, there is growing evidence that the copycat problem is far more serious than is generally understood...

Evidence amassed by the FBI and other threat assessment experts shows that perpetrators and plotters look to past attacks both for inspiration and operational details, in hopes of causing even greater carnage...

This was premeditated, just like El Paso (shooter was wearing body armor and was going for maximum casualties). Police responded quickly and shot the suspect dead in less than a minute, but even "good guys with guns" can't prevent another 10 bodies from piling up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top