JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a great question posed by the OP, and the number of humorous responses that it's eliciting is some indication of how much we'd all rather not think of the honest answer.

There's another side to it: What if it isn't about an emergency bug-out, but more like general hard times, like Russia or Argentina during their economic collapses? Then it's not how fast you can ruck with how much weight, it's more of a combined physical and psychological marathon.

When we moved to our little garden paradise a few years ago, we made a conscious decision to build the gardens, put in the trees, and work the land by hand. There have been many construction projects, more than a few setbacks, and a never-ending string of daily chores. It's not much different from the way I imagine my grandparents grew up, except for the occasional travel to the other side of the world.

It's about expectations. Right now I'm facing a long, hard, messy slog with another FUBAR fix-it fiasco. But what I feel is satisfaction and gratitude that I have a little while yet to sit here in comfort before the fun begins. Dmitri Orlov has plenty to say on the subject, and his recommendation is a low-key, semi-apathetic trudge rather than a warrior's sprint.

Crossfit nearly everyday, a lifetime of climbing, skiing, kayaking in places off the grid and five years of college rowing. It all goes to sh*t when I tore my acl on Wednesday. First major injury in 35 years. Right now I feel like I might as well have a gut and bad lungs.

Richard

Welcome to the club....:s0155:.
Although the lungs are good. :s0114:

I'm fit. I go to the gym around 5 times a week to lift weights and play basketball, but long distance running is not my strong point. I did backpack around western Europe, and I realized my shoulders are out of shape lol, they really take a beating when carrying a backpack.

I'm 25, no telling what kind of shape I'll be in when I'm 35 though. A healthy diet and a small dose of daily exercise really go a long way though.

I'm fit. I go to the gym around 5 times a week to lift weights and play basketball, but long distance running is not my strong point. I did backpack around western Europe, and I realized my shoulders are out of shape lol, they really take a beating when carrying a backpack.

I'm 25, no telling what kind of shape I'll be in when I'm 35 though. A healthy diet and a small dose of daily exercise really go a long way though.

Yeah...staying in shape works up to a point. I'm 57 and every ding and knock I took while younger is starting to show. Terribly poor treatment while leased out to my rich uncle Sam, then as a civilian: Ankle fracture, knee surgery, rotator cuff cutting, motorcycle accident......but **** it was fun getting this banged up!!! I may move slow but I can shoot just as straight!! :s0155:

I have a gut, but I can run a a few miles unencumbered and can make a fast march with 50+ pounds of gear. Conceivably, I'd be the pack mule for my family if we needed to bug out and I can fulfill that role. But I benefit from having had a seriously physical job for most of my 20s (I'm 40) and have been active enough hiking and biking and working out to maintain a pretty good muscle and cardio base.

Good question OP. It's why one of my favorite scenes from "one second after" was the fat dude keeling over dead after trying to push his BMW. It made the point. Most focus on training and gear and neglect getting into shape. To answer your question, I'm halfway there...at the right weight, exercise regularly, can carry a heavy pack when needed, etc...but always more to do. Survival is about being independent...so that starts with our body. Thanks for reminding us.

Lets see, since getting out of the Army in 2005, I have done the P90x a couple times and drank/brewed and drank some 100+ gallons of beer. Nope I can't run 5 miles. It will more likely be the mind set than the physical anyway.

I will outlive all of the "fit" fellows. They will starve and kill each other for the last remaining food. Even the cannibals will make each other sick and die. It will be loud, but it will not last for long.

My secret is that I am so FAT that I don't need to eat for WEEKS! Since I quit drinking, I don't need ANYTHING except my medications. Evolution built me this way for survival. My ancestors made it through the Irish Famine with enough gusto to emmigrate! I'll just hole-up someplace snug for a month and wait for the noise to die down, along with all of the folks fussin' and fightin'. Then I will be so thin that I won't even need the meds!

Alas, life will not be worth living without aspirin and toilet paper. Fortunately, I have no need to survive..........................elsullo :D

No, at this point, not fit. Heck, if SHTF not really sure where I would go if anywhere. Just moved here, have not really had the time to scout out the area, except for the immediate area.
Where I came from, I had a plan all worked out, primarily because I grew up where I would have gone. But, being 900 miles away just does not make that practical.
So, I am attempting to lose a few pounds, just in case. However, considering I only eat once a day anyway, water is my main concern. So, eventually if the event did happen, well, I would be on my way to loosing more pounds that I had wanted to I guess.

No, at this point, not fit. Heck, if SHTF not really sure where I would go if anywhere. Just moved here, have not really had the time to scout out the area, except for the immediate area.
Where I came from, I had a plan all worked out, primarily because I grew up where I would have gone. But, being 900 miles away just does not make that practical.
So, I am attempting to lose a few pounds, just in case. However, considering I only eat once a day anyway, water is my main concern. So, eventually if the event did happen, well, I would be on my way to loosing more pounds that I had wanted to I guess.

:s0155: Yep.

I love to see pictures and videos of so-called survivalists. They all look either very old or about three french fries away from a massive coronary. I give a revolution of these warriors about 3 days. When Wendy's is out of burgers and the wifey needs feminine supplies, these guys will discover a reason they need to be at home.

Stocked to the gills with guns and ammo and no chance of survival.

When your battle cry is, "Honey, where's the remote?" you've already lost the war.

I love to see pictures and videos of so-called survivalists. They all look either very old or about three french fries away from a massive coronary. I give a revolution of these warriors about 3 days. When Wendy's is out of burgers and the wifey needs feminine supplies, these guys will discover a reason they need to be at home.

Stocked to the gills with guns and ammo and no chance of survival.

When your battle cry is, "Honey, where's the remote?" you've already lost the war.

Uhhhhhh.... I guess I need to change my game plan then. Any suggestions? Maybe manually changing channels? :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top