JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm ready! The wife on the other hand has lived under the "my husband is my rock and shelter principle." So I guess I will just get rid of her and go solo. Simple solution to a simple problem.

a lot of talk about storing food and what weapons to have.
but what about your physical condition? what if you had to bug out on foot? could you run 5 or more miles without stopping? wile loaded down with 3 days worth of supplies?

lets face it odds are your body is not ready for a SHTF event.

so what are you going to do about it if anything?
what places do you need improvement on most?

I'm not in the military where they make me do this on a regular basis
I'm not a iron man

Really,unless you are military or in the Ironman competitions,how many people do you know that can run 5 miles with any type weight on them.

I'm sure you can count them on your fingers.

I CAN go to my truck and start it and drive over all those who can run with a 50lb pack on them.

I'm not in the military where they make me do this on a regular basis
I'm not a iron man

Really,unless you are military or in the Ironman competitions,how many people do you know that can run 5 miles with any type weight on them.

I'm sure you can count them on your fingers.

I CAN go to my truck and start it and drive over all those who can run with a 50lb pack on them.

Even though this is the USA, home of the fat and proud, there are still a decent number of people who are in shape and can hike/jog for numerous miles before needing a pit stop.

Even though this is the USA, home of the fat and proud, there are still a decent number of people who are in shape and can hike/jog for numerous miles before needing a pit stop.

Yes I could at one time also.But not run 5 miles with a 50# pack on my back
Few ironman types could run 5 miles with 50#s on their back.
Like you said there are a "decent" number of people who could "hike/jog" (you didn't say run) numerous miles (2?3?) before needing a pit stop
I bet you can name the ones you know in about 2 seconds too
I can go numerous miles without a pit stop.Do it every morning.Not running and not with a 3 day supply of food and goods on my back.

Again,it isn't the norm to be able to RUN 5 miles with 3 days (around 40-50# pack) of goods on your back

Just sayin'

I work out 6 days a week, so I'm in pretty decent shape. I'm not much of a runner because I get shin splints, but I can walk for a couple hours without stopping. My survival supplies (ammo, food, etc...) situation sucks, but hoping to get that in order asap.

Perhaps I may be so bold as to suggest a better question would be, is your MIND ready for SHTF?? It will be your decisions that determine the outcome...and how you use all your tools,including your body.

SHTF im staying home and fighting. Unitl Im dead. I have food water and alot of bullets, house is in a good spot, some woodsy areas for hunting... Fucxk it, im not running away from bubblegum.

Im fluffy. I couldnt RUN 1 mile let alone 5.

A fortified bunker is prob. imn the works tho

Good question OP. It's why one of my favorite scenes from "one second after" was the fat dude keeling over dead after trying to push his BMW. It made the point. Most focus on training and gear and neglect getting into shape. To answer your question, I'm halfway there...at the right weight, exercise regularly, can carry a heavy pack when needed, etc...but always more to do. Survival is about being independent...so that starts with our body. Thanks for reminding us.

For real. Great book, and good reading if you think something like that is plausible (which I do). I'm reading a lot of good points on here. Someone already said it here, but a good diet and a little exercise goes a long way. Why, just yesterday over the span of 16 hours I did a little over 300 hip to mouth cigarette curls. :s0114:

For real. Great book, and good reading if you think something like that is plausible (which I do). I'm reading a lot of good points on here. Someone already said it here, but a good diet and a little exercise goes a long way. Why, just yesterday over the span of 16 hours I did a little over 300 hip to mouth cigarette curls. :s0114:

Might want to pace yourself.....don't want to peak too soon... :s0114::s0114:

"It won't take very much, I'm telling you. It will not take much for people to hit the panic button. The amount of convenience that people rely on based on electricity alone. You start taking out electricity and satellites, and people are going to lose their noodle. People don't have maps anymore. People use their iPhones or GPS systems, so if there's no electricity, nobody has maps."

Ashton Kutcher In Men's Fitness: Preparing For Armageddon (PHOTO)

Interesting reading

"It won't take very much, I'm telling you. It will not take much for people to hit the panic button. The amount of convenience that people rely on based on electricity alone. You start taking out electricity and satellites, and people are going to lose their noodle. People don't have maps anymore. People use their iPhones or GPS systems, so if there's no electricity, nobody has maps."

Ashton Kutcher In Men's Fitness: Preparing For Armageddon (PHOTO)

Interesting reading

SOME people don't have maps anymore. I do. And I can use a compass and altimeter with a topographic map to fix my position farily accurately. But more importantly I KNOW the area I will need to survive in. But you are dead right about the dependence on electronics.

SOME people don't have maps anymore. I do. And I can use a compass and altimeter with a topographic map to fix my position farily accurately. But more importantly I KNOW the area I will need to survive in. But you are dead right about the dependence on electronics.

7 1/2 or 15' maps, how many areas & what do you use for declination?

7 1/2 or 15' maps, how many areas & what do you use for declination?

7.5s, (the whole state has been broken to that scale now) and I have a 1:250k for overview. I have enough to cover the op area I have in mind for a bug out, (privately owned, family held) I use the values on the bottom of the map and keep them updated. It is around 17E in my area

7.5s, (the whole state has been broken to that scale now) and I have a 1:250k for overview. I have enough to cover the op area I have in mind for a bug out, (privately owned, family held) I use the values on the bottom of the map and keep them updated.

Be very very careful with the values at the bottoms of maps, some were done off surveys preformed in the 50's. But keeping them updated is a great idea.
The best of luck to you. :s0155:

Be very very careful with the values at the bottoms of maps, some were done off surveys preformed in the 50's. But keeping them updated is a great idea.
The best of luck to you. :s0155:

True..but the variation computations are pretty stable in open country unless you are near man-made sources of deviation. I have checked fixes made by compass against those obtained with GPS and they are close enough. I am planning on operating on land I have hunted for years and know very well also.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top