JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it my imagination, or do I see ARs beginning to sit in the classifieds for two days instead of two hours, especially those that are, shall we say, optimistically priced?? Am I too optimistic to think that the supply and demand situation is getting better?

Am I too optimistic to think that the supply and demand situation is getting better?
I think it has to do with demand getting weaker due to the 'optimistically' priced AR's. People are finally waking up and realizing the value has been artificially inflated and it is just not there. Those that bought at the highest prices are now seeing them fall are probably kicking themselves in the azz (or someone is doing it for them). Waning popularity for any new restrictions, ammo and components starting to dribble back in - you get the picture.

Walmart in Lynnwood got in an M&P 15-22 that had a $447 price tag on it. I think some of the "gougers" are either going to take a loss (if they bought for an inflated price) or they are going to have to sell for more reasonable prices in order to sell. I think the larger issue is going to be getting ammo, at least for awhile, without paying inflated prices.

Just some of my observations of online auctions

Sig Sauer 516
MSRP: $1,666
Pre Sandy Hook: $1400-$1500
December: $2800-$3200
Early February: $2,200-$2500
Now: $1850-$2300

Looking at those prices I'll be ready to buy early April.

Some of the smaller manufacturers were already back ordered before the scare. So finding those rifles and parts will be no different then before. While the prices will be a little lower the availability will probably be the same. If people want it now for peace of mind or whatever reason they'll pay for it in cash.

-ur6an

I went to Rapid Fire in Sandy Oregon today and they had about 15 AR's and another 4 or 5 'Assault Type' guns behind the counter, supposedly they received most of the AR's yesterday. They had a nice selection of handguns and and some used handguns and long guns on hand. They had .308 ammo and most pistol ammo. No 5.56

Good knowledgeable crew there!

I bought an Arsenal 4 days after the Sandy Hook shooting here in Oregon city:

Arsenal SLR-101S: $1075, Dec 18th 2012
4 days later $2500-$3000
stayed between $2000 and $2950 until last week
Gunbroker had one for $1299 BUY IT NOW last week, and it took a couple days to sell.

I'd say its slowing down, but (like others have said) its pure economic reality -- people are running out of money to buy with. Same reason prices are coming down -- if you want a local sale, you can only get what the local economy can support.

The often quoted "Gunbroker.com selling prices" are based on national purchaser potential, there are literally millions of potential buyers, so practically speaking those prices don't apply to local sales. Selling within a few hours drive of your home is a whole other market, and if you actually need some money, you'll come down on your price until you hit the sweet spot. (If you live in a larger city, you might get more, but get away from urban areas and I'm not seeing the wealth-base to pay over the top prices.)

This whole thing feels a bit like "musical chairs" to me, and when the music stopped (within a week of Newtown) you'd better hope you had all the rifles, ammo, and magazines you want, because getting more at this point is an uphill battle. I can't really imagine a scenario in which things turn around quickly -- or in other words, go back to the way they were any time soon. There are still too many unknowns, and if the battle drags out on the federal level, it will probably drag out the shortages and extend the craziness.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top