Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is the AR panic buying slowing down?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 9MilMan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

Is it my imagination, or do I see ARs beginning to sit in the classifieds for two days instead of two hours, especially those that are, shall we say, optimistically priced?? Am I too optimistic to think that the supply and demand situation is getting better?

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I think it has to do with demand getting weaker due to the 'optimistically' priced AR's. People are finally waking up and realizing the value has been artificially inflated and it is just not there. Those that bought at the highest prices are now seeing them fall are probably kicking themselves in the azz (or someone is doing it for them). Waning popularity for any new restrictions, ammo and components starting to dribble back in - you get the picture.

3. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

It's definitely slowing, my FIL is a FFL, he just ordered two new dpms Oracles for well under 700. My local Fred Meyer got a new one in too that sold for 700....I see parts and pieces showing more and more online too.

4. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

Not down here in Eugene. I just went to a shop I usually enjoy going too and they had two S&W M&P 15's that MSRP at $1100 for sale at $1300. Guess I'll have to continue to be patient.

5. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Snohomish County, WA Active Member

Walmart in Lynnwood got in an M&P 15-22 that had a $447 price tag on it. I think some of the "gougers" are either going to take a loss (if they bought for an inflated price) or they are going to have to sell for more reasonable prices in order to sell. I think the larger issue is going to be getting ammo, at least for awhile, without paying inflated prices.

Glock Jock and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Glock Jock

Glock Jock Wilsonville , OR Well-Known Member

I am waiting for the ammo.

Netspirit, mouse, Zeshio and 7 others like this.
  7. WildWillie

WildWillie Boston New Member

:)

8. hawmanai

hawmanai SW OR Member

Russ1590 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Truenorth

Truenorth Pacific Northwet Active Member

I have imagine more than one poor fellow's significant other is just now seeing a huge family credit card bill with $3,000+ charges from Cabelas, Sprotco, Buds guns, Etc.

10. Glock Jock

yep. and the classifieds should be filling up as well

11. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

:funnypoint::rofl1: Yep, and those that speculated, well they may just be stuck holding for awhile:eatpop:.

12. ur6an

ur6an Everett New Member

Just some of my observations of online auctions

Sig Sauer 516
    MSRP: $1,666
    Pre Sandy Hook: $1400-$1500
    December: $2800-$3200
    Early February: $2,200-$2500
    Now: $1850-$2300

Looking at those prices I'll be ready to buy early April.

Some of the smaller manufacturers were already back ordered before the scare. So finding those rifles and parts will be no different then before. While the prices will be a little lower the availability will probably be the same. If people want it now for peace of mind or whatever reason they'll pay for it in cash.

-ur6an

13. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I went to Rapid Fire in Sandy Oregon today and they had about 15 AR's and another 4 or 5 'Assault Type' guns behind the counter, supposedly they received most of the AR's yesterday. They had a nice selection of handguns and and some used handguns and long guns on hand. They had .308 ammo and most pistol ammo. No 5.56

Good knowledgeable crew there!

14. RVTECH

Anyone catch the the $600.00 1979 Mini - 14 on the Outdoor Trader Classifieds today? Appeared to be in good shape.

15. tfbit

tfbit Eugene, OR Active Member

Cabelas in Springfield had a couple of Bushmaster Carbons a couple of weeks ago that didn't get snapped up immediately.

16. RVTECH

AND don't forget the AR's that were probably bought 'secretly' and eventually get discovered by the less than accepting wife....

wayoutwest, mouse, Glock Jock and 5 others like this.
  17. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Picked up my 3rd for $200 less than the MSRP.

18. Glock Jock

I bought an Arsenal 4 days after the Sandy Hook shooting here in Oregon city:

Arsenal SLR-101S: $1075, Dec 18th 2012
    4 days later $2500-$3000
    stayed between $2000 and $2950 until last week
    Gunbroker had one for $1299 BUY IT NOW last week, and it took a couple days to sell.

Scvette and (deleted member) like this.
  19. I-Shoot

I-Shoot Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'd say its slowing down, but (like others have said) its pure economic reality -- people are running out of money to buy with. Same reason prices are coming down -- if you want a local sale, you can only get what the local economy can support.

The often quoted "Gunbroker.com selling prices" are based on national purchaser potential, there are literally millions of potential buyers, so practically speaking those prices don't apply to local sales. Selling within a few hours drive of your home is a whole other market, and if you actually need some money, you'll come down on your price until you hit the sweet spot. (If you live in a larger city, you might get more, but get away from urban areas and I'm not seeing the wealth-base to pay over the top prices.)

This whole thing feels a bit like "musical chairs" to me, and when the music stopped (within a week of Newtown) you'd better hope you had all the rifles, ammo, and magazines you want, because getting more at this point is an uphill battle. I can't really imagine a scenario in which things turn around quickly -- or in other words, go back to the way they were any time soon. There are still too many unknowns, and if the battle drags out on the federal level, it will probably drag out the shortages and extend the craziness.

20. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Fishermans in janzten beach has some off brand ARs with magpul gear for $1199.
    Had about 6 of them on the rack.