JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only time I've ever OC'd is at the range, and even then I prefer to practice from my CC rig- since it's far more applicable to any circumstance when I'd possibly need my pistol. Not too many criminals would be dumbass enough to try to knock over a gun range...

Some of you folks may recall that several months ago I network of gangs were operating (I think in the SW) that would follow and mark cars that left gun ranges and follow the car to a parked location. Then they would break into the car and steal the firearms.

From my point of view open carry is defiantly OK and its OK for folks to be a little nervous cause any bad guys are going to be really nervous the more people there are around that open carry. We all know that there are many people that conceal carry, we just don't know who they are. I would venture a guess if you go out in public much there are at least half a dozen people behind you at some point that are carrying concealed.

Could the type of firearm and holster one OCs also influence on how people around you react? For instance, a full size like a 1911 v. say, a mouse gun (LCP) or 38spc snubby?

If you OC a Glock/SIG/HK -type "black gun"...or a snub revolver... people might assume you are an off duty or plainclothes cop. Since the police do not generally carry 1911's cocked and locked, that would be a giveaway that the person carrying was a civilian.

Philosophically, I support the right of others to OC, but its not a choice I will ever make unless I'm in the woods or at the range. I have a CHP and my preference is to be low key and not draw any attention to myself.

[/B][/B]

Some of you folks may recall that several months ago I network of gangs were operating (I think in the SW) that would follow and mark cars that left gun ranges and follow the car to a parked location. Then they would break into the car and steal the firearms.

No sure if it was real or not.heard conflicting stories on this one.

I see business owners up here,carry all the time.Not a big deal.
We don't see much open carry,even out on the west side of the lake.

But I don't see any advantage of open carry,except for the idea of getting people used to it.
I do believe you will be the first targeted in a robbery.I know I would go after the civilian posin' with the gun.Two or three may change my view,but one gives me another weapon.

I don't like being around hunters I don't know with guns.I like to know the people around me with guns
But that's just me.

I'll keep to conceal carry,thanks.

I have open carried many times without even the slightest problem, and actually it usually starts a conversation. I have guided people to NWF for more information for those that were interested.

I see alot of you may OC but I personally think it is stupid. Let's say you are in a store in line to get something and a criminal walks in with the intention of robbing the place. The first thing he is going to do is take out the guy with the gun on his leg or size him up and make an attempt on the firearm. I personally do not want to give the criminal any sort fo advantage.
Just my take,

I see alot of you may OC but I personally think it is stupid. Let's say you are in a store in line to get something and a criminal walks in with the intention of robbing the place. The first thing he is going to do is take out the guy with the gun on his leg or size him up and make an attempt on the firearm. I personally do not want to give the criminal any sort fo advantage.
Just my take,

Same exact scenario could happen if you run across someone's illegal pot grow in the woods. They see you with a firearm, and they might shoot first.

This is my problem with OC. Even those who are used to being around guns may be nervous around a stranger with a gun. I know OC people will start up about their rights but it has more negative impact on our 2nd amendment rights than good IMHO. OCing to me, other than hunting/camping, is just "Hey look at me" attention whoring.

Funny, why would you OC hunting or camping?
Seriously, why aren't you concealed in the woods?
Not all places in the wilderness are free of humans.

A very liberal family on a picnic runs across a guy with a pistol on his hip, with no cellphone coverage that family might panic.

I believe the reason you think OC'ing is okay in the wilderness, is for the same reason people OC in public: (holster and) draw speed.

I do not know - I was in a market the other day there was a couple buying food with their kids. BOth were open carry. Found out - neither were cops. He goes - look around - there are more in this store. Sure enough - saw a few more people.
No one was running around with their heads cut off worried about it.
I guess in states with a more pro gun environment - it is not a major issue

I wondered if the market gets more business since it is friendly to gun owners?
MAybe they feel safer?
No signs posted restricting guns.

Well, does the "Location" in your profile mean Prescott, Arizona? If so, then OC is common there (or, at least, it was when I lived there 15 years ago.) I saw OC in convenience stores, fast food joints, and in banks on a fairly regular basis. Nobody thought anything of it.

This is my problem with OC. Even those who are used to being around guns may be nervous around a stranger with a gun. I know OC people will start up about their rights but it has more negative impact on our 2nd amendment rights than good IMHO. OCing to me, other than hunting/camping, is just "Hey look at me" attention whoring.

I disagree with you statement...

Same exact scenario could happen if you run across someone's illegal pot grow in the woods. They see you with a firearm, and they might shoot first.

A very liberal family on a picnic runs across a guy with a pistol on his hip, with no cellphone coverage that family might panic.

I believe the reason you think OC'ing is okay in the wilderness, is for the same reason people OC in public: (holster and) draw speed.

Holster and draw speed is why you open carry? I think it is attention or lack there of. I don't really need to be fast when I am concealed since my opponent has no idea I even have a gun. I think that gives me a significant advantage. I can then use the element of suprise on him instead of him using it on me.

I don't think we should lose our right to open carry only because that is one more right we would be losing, but for gods sake lets use our head and imploy some common sense.

I have been around too many people that shouldn't have guns.......that did have them.
I really like to know the person I am around that is carrying.
After having a woman point a cocked and NOT LOCKED 1911 at my feet
And having a dad take his daughter out to the firing line to set up targets.....without asking me or the other guy shooting there if it was cool.....
I would just like to know that the person next to me,with a gun,has some semblance of intelligence,before he has a gun that I am within range of.
If he is CCing,then I'm non the wiser.
Once it is more prevalent,then most will except it.
I guess being around guns and people that maybe shouldn't have guns,I see it different than some

Kinda,just because you can,doesn't mean you should

As have I been around those same type of people. Doesn't take long to find out either. However, a properly holstered handgun not being handled is a sign of responsibility until proven otherwise. If I see it being removed there had better be a darn good reason why!

Not sure I see the problem with a daughter being taught firearms responibility and training on target setup. Was something else going on?

Apparently you think that only oc'ers lack intelligence? If an irresponsible someone has their sidearm concealed that makes it ok because you are "none the wiser"?

I think the general public has been conditioned to believe guns are bad regardless of whether you are oc or not. Someone has to be an example of responsibility for them. "Once it is more prevalent, then most will accept(sp) it". This can only happen if more responsible people do it.

Holster and draw speed is why you open carry? I think it is attention or lack there of. I don't really need to be fast when I am concealed since my opponent has no idea I even have a gun. I think that gives me a significant advantage. I can then use the element of suprise on him instead of him using it on me.

I don't think we should lose our right to open carry only because that is one more right we would be losing, but for gods sake lets use our head and imploy some common sense.

Significant advantage? Earlier someone said, OC was okay for hunting/camping. What about that case? I'd like to know. Either way, whether it's the city or forest, the police can't be everywhere, so why would one pick and choose which place is okay to carry?

You said OC was stupid, so police should concealed also? You didn't specify which was okay and under what circumstances. From your own commentary it sounds like you want to dictate if OC is okay or not regardless of what the constitution says. I wonder what your basis for comparison on OC is?

Your common sense and my common sense are not the same, therefore neither are common. Again I wonder what your basis for comparison is?

Last Edited:
The right to protect yourself or family is a god given right that should not be stopped or regulated at some border,be it a door or a state/city border on some map.That right shouldn't end there..

Some of you have seen the 2006 e-mail circulated (see below, plus I also posted it in another thread) regarding Costco firearms policy. NWFA members have reviewed the current membership documents published by Costco, and did not find any references to firearms, so I have contacted Costco for clarification. Apparently the person who wrote the 2006 response is currently on vacation, so I got in touch with another person (Kim Sherrod), who confirmed the policy still stands, but was unable to locate any documents supporting such claim. I have requested that my inquiry is forwarded to the legal department, but have not received any additional replies.

Without the documentation and/or any prohibitive signs posted at the Costco Warehouses, it seems like the policy is virtually non-existent, and I will continue carrying there :)

Dear Mr. xxx,

This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
. . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
. . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
[email protected]

That surprises me. I'd expect Costco to sell a big plastic wrapped variety pack of ammo, 20 rounds apiece in 8 different calibers from .32 to .44-40 Win.

On a more serious note, I'm probabably armed in Costco more than not depending on my other stops any given day. Bottom line? No one ever knows it.

really? you go camping in densely populated areas with hundreds of thousands of people? :s0077:

I don't call driving up to a designated spot for a night, camping. If you do more power to you.

Draw speed? really? Encounters with BGs are not usually a showdown at noon. I can draw my weapon just as fast out of a IWB holster as any holster out there. Keep reaching.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top