JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just my opinion on this past month. Not an argument, not a "final word", just my opinion on it all. I am not an FFL, nor do I work for one anymore.
I find the infighting within the firearms community fascinating. Folks are beating up FFL for not releasing firearms under the "3-day rule".
Customers want the firearm NOW! They bought and paid for that firearm, so they now own it. $300, $500, $900, $1500 firearm should be released to the customer NOW.
They shame the FFLs who will not release said firearm, and praise the ones who will. Consider, the FFL has much more on the line than the "small" amount tied up in your firearm.
Their entire business is at stake. FFL does not release your firearm to you, their reputation is trashed. And they lose business. They release the firearm under the rule, take a very real risk of something going wrong.
Keyboard warriors say there is no risk to the FFL... Tell that to the press, the DAs, the other keyboard commandos, if something does go wrong.
There have been many FFLs ran out of business, even though they did everything right.

An FFL wants to release the firearm in 3 days, great. The FFL does not, great. Maybe folks should have bought your firearms you wanted before now. Maybe you should have fought harder to defeat 114. If we as a group had spent a fraction of the money we have spent in the last month on firearms, to defeat 114. It would never have passed.

Yup. If I was an FFL I wouldn't be playing the games my customers wanted me to play. It really shows the selfishness of people. Trashing FFLs that won't release, along with other threads angling to somehow get around the system at the expense of the FFL.

Selfish, plain and simple. I hope our members and the FFLs remember who was trying to screw them just to get ahead.

I don't understand why sone people think they are so special that they trash FFLs here, offer ridiculous "deals" where they get all the advantage and otherwise. It really shows the true colors of some people. I for one won't forget this.

Just my opinion on this past month. Not an argument, not a "final word", just my opinion on it all. I am not an FFL, nor do I work for one anymore.
I find the infighting within the firearms community fascinating. Folks are beating up FFL for not releasing firearms under the "3-day rule".
Customers want the firearm NOW! They bought and paid for that firearm, so they now own it. $300, $500, $900, $1500 firearm should be released to the customer NOW.
They shame the FFLs who will not release said firearm, and praise the ones who will. Consider, the FFL has much more on the line than the "small" amount tied up in your firearm.
Their entire business is at stake. FFL does not release your firearm to you, their reputation is trashed. And they lose business. They release the firearm under the rule, take a very real risk of something going wrong.
Keyboard warriors say there is no risk to the FFL... Tell that to the press, the DAs, the other keyboard commandos, if something does go wrong.
There have been many FFLs ran out of business, even though they did everything right.

An FFL wants to release the firearm in 3 days, great. The FFL does not, great. Maybe folks should have bought your firearms you wanted before now. Maybe you should have fought harder to defeat 114. If we as a group had spent a fraction of the money we have spent in the last month on firearms, to defeat 114. It would never have passed.
Well said.

I have watched this here time and time again. For a month now. One member particular likes to really stir the pot and get members worked up against FFL holders.
You cannot expect a 3 day release from any big box store.

The question that I don't know the answer to " is it legal to release a firearm after three days?" If it is I don't think the FFLs are supporting the gun community.

Yup. If I was an FFL I wouldn't be playing the games my customers wanted me to play. It really shows the selfishness of people. Trashing FFLs that won't release, along with other threads angling to somehow get around the system at the expense of the FFL.

Selfish, plain and simple. I hope our members and the FFLs remember who was trying to screw them just to get ahead.

I don't understand why sone people think they are so special that they trash FFLs here, offer ridiculous "deals" where they get all the advantage and otherwise. It really shows the true colors of some people. I for one won't forget this.

Well said.

Agree with all the above posts. This entire issue was a slow moving disaster that EVERYONE could see coming. The FFL's are just as screwed (if not more) as those who waited to buy their wares. You don't get your gun RIGHT NOW (because you procrastinated), the FFL's livelihoods are at stake both on the front and back end of this situation.

I didn't need to buy anything but I made sure to buy a new AR just because my FFL released firearms on the 3 day rule. If the ATF gives them any grief I'll be happy to join them and help weld armor on the komatsu.

The ATF and now OSP is the true enemy after all.

I have watched this here time and time again. For a month now. One member particular likes to really stir the pot and get members worked up against FFL holders.
You cannot expect a 3 day release from any big box store.
Agree. Also the fact that this was coming and people saying "buy what you want now, don't wait until November" was said over and over since July (especially from @Alexx1401). Buyers that chose to wait cannot expect ffls to fix an emergency due to poor planning. I feel for the buyers, but at the same time it's not the FFLs fault that they waited.

Last Edited:
The question that I don't know the answer to " is it legal to release a firearm after three days?" If it is I don't think the FFLs are supporting the gun community.
That is not without risk for the FFL. That's why most all FFLs did not use this so called 3 day loophole before this "emergency". I applaud the FFLs taking the risk to help out people who waited, but I would not expect any FFL to take that risk.

Exactly! The answer is that it is legal to do so when a background check has been put on delayed status.

That rule was put in place so that whatever agency is running background checks could not just sit on them indefinitely and have a de facto ban on firearms.

I understand FFLs choosing not to follow this rule, but is there actually any case history of an FFL getting in trouble exclusively for releasing a firearm under the 3-day rule?

I'm not going to say that it's a fair reason to write off an FFL entirely, but acting like it's completely unreasonable for a citizen to be upset that an FFL won't follow the letter of the law—when you have given them hundreds or thousands of dollars for a product—is disingenuous.

I didn't need to buy anything but I made sure to buy a new AR just because my FFL released firearms on the 3 day rule. If the ATF gives them any grief I'll be happy to join them and help weld armor on the komatsu.

The ATF and now OSP is the true enemy after all.
20200819-dozer-03.jpg

Was this a D8 ?

This is short-sighted. Although it's (currently) legal, this state would legally harass an FFL for it should a bad-actor do something bad after that 3-day limit happened, not to mention civil lawsuits by family members and "tax exempt" entities.

FFL's are a business, they're not a "support structure" for the "gun community", they provide goods and services under the regulations (and realities) that are set.

Put the blame where this belongs, on all the jack-wagons who've voted for candidates of a certain political party where all of this that's happening RIGHT NOW are the very LOUDLY stated planks (for quite some time) in their political platform. If you (or anyone else for that matter) voted for anyone in that party in at LEAST the last 10yrs because "you vote on other issues besides the 2A", go look in the mirror and point a finger about not supporting the "gun community".

And in turn I will remember those that chose to make it more difficult to obtain firearms by choosing not to follow legal precedence. Those dealers like J & B should be praised for thier stance on the 3 day rule.

It is one thing for Joe Private Citizen to break a law , ban or whatever...
If he is smart...he could go about doing so for a long time...or perhaps not ever get caught.

However a FFL is under a lot more scrutiny.
He runs a higher risk of getting caught.
He also has a more at stake than many others.

Until you have been there in those same shoes , so to speak...
Or run the same risk versus reward....
Bashing those that choose differently that what you would like is not going to help or change anything.
Andy

Agree and not just bashing the FFLs but also bashing the online webstores who are shutting down gun and magazine sales.
As if the FFLs and stores had anything to do with 114 but 114 has everything to do with them going out of business for not following the BS law.

Makes me wonder how many of these panic buyers that are bubbleguming at FFLs voted for any of the politicians that supported 114... would be interesting to learn.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top