JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If it's time to bury your guns, it's time to start using your guns.
200.gif

I have more than enough firearms now to risk losing a few to underground elements.

My latest idea to bury an AR15 is to use a harbor freight storage container like this for all the components minus the barrel.

The barrel could be put into sealed mylar bag then stuffed into sealed pvc pipe section.

How long would mylar bags hold up buried underground?
Put anything metal in a VCI bag. For long term, I would use cosmoline as a coating, then put that inside the VCI bag, then put that inside a thick (9+mil) mylar bag (the mylar to seal it better), then put that inside a rubber waterproof bag, then that inside something like a Pelican hard shell case, but with Kaizen foam, not open cell foam (open cell is more prone to holding moisture). All of that would then go in something like a barrel as the final thing that got buried (I might wrap the barrel/etc. in a thick plastic bag/liner to protect it from water seepage).

You can get a stainless steel barrel - but even SS rusts given long enough and/or exposed to corrosive elements.

I have some VCI bags that I have started to use for my "safe queens".

There was a sci-fi TV show where teens returned to earth after ?generations & found AR type firearms in drums of oil. They worked.

Do that.

The ammunition? Also in drums of oil. Some worked. Don't do that...

There was a sci-fi TV show where teens returned to earth after ?generations & found AR type firearms in drums of oil. They worked.

Do that.
Cosmoline is a better method. A lot of plastic is made from petroleum products. Oil, especially waste oil, can contain moisture. Cosmoline is better in that it is a semi-hard covering meant for preserving metal from corrosion.

Cosmoline is a better method. A lot of plastic is made from petroleum products. Oil, especially waste oil, can contain moisture. Cosmoline is better in that it is a semi-hard covering meant for preserving metal from corrosion.
Yah, would probably make plastic parts turn into some type of "gloop" plastic/oil amalgamation.

Be neat to hear how it turns out in a decade tho, wouldn't it...:eek:

Has literally no one watched the walking dead...? Not necessarily the zombiepocalypse part, although I do feel like that's what we're looking at with our current government...

Anyhow, there's never a need to bury anything. Here's all you need to do in a survival situation...

Just randomly stumble across some other people in your exact a same scenario. Get captured. Once you're seconds from death there WILL be a miracle that'll give you a split second upper hand. Take that opportunity to kill the rival leader and in turn all their goons. Once the dust settles, wipe away the blood and tears and take all their food, water, guns, ammo and a perfectly running 1985 Ford LTD with a full tank of gas.

Do this once a week and you should be just fine.

Yah, would probably make plastic parts turn into some type of "gloop" plastic/oil amalgamation.
Most synthetic "furniture" for guns should be resistant to petroleum - at least on the "incidental" level. Not sure how it would do immersed in petroleum over the period of a decade. I know things like plastic bags don't last but maybe minutes when exposed to gasoline/etc.

Cork side is always facing up, and I choose whiskey with a synthetic cork to resist long term degredation

I think you're okay with a synthetic cork, but the reason wine bottles are stored horizontally in wine cellars is that natural corks dry out over time and crack. By laying the bottles horizontally, the corks are constantly moistened.

Last Edited:
Buckets with screw-on lids that have a loose o-ring (that can lift out) for a seal can be overtightened to the point that the o-ring buckles and has gaps under the ring. So don't overtighten them!

Or so I've read.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top