JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why bury and deal with moisture, roots, etc...and will still be easy to find with a metal detector. Hard to check, slow and hard to access, hard to add to.

Check the local junkyard/recycler and get an old transformer box, copy stickers from a nearby real box (so if someone checks it'll seem to be genuine and on the local utility company's list). metal detector will show nothing that is unexpected or out of the ordinary.
Authorities/criminals won't initially show up with a Lineman to check it out.
Just don't place it where the local electric Company might see and try to service it.

1709160400338.jpeg 1709160479370.jpeg
1709160722276.jpeg

Last Edited:
Lets say hypothetically that some of you dont entirely trust your government :s0112: or just want a backup stash of useful items in the advent of disaster or house fire.

If you were burying a stash somewhere that would include basics like firearm, ammo, food, water, fire starters, valuables, etc.
what else would you throw in there?

Gold coins? Blow up doll? 10 pounds of gummy bears?
whatcha got?

lets say 10 years which limits battery operated devices (radios, etc)

View attachment 860199
When you start thinking it is time to bury your firearms. :rolleyes:

It's time to start digging them up. :s0012:

You could let the FBI/ATF dig your garden, like Vinnie did while he was serving time... :)

Dad to Son,

I am feeling pretty sad, because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. I know if you were here my troubles would be over. I know you would be happy to dig the plot for me, like in the old days. Love, Papa

A few days later he received this letter from his son:

Dear Pop, Don't dig up that garden. That's where the bodies are buried. Love, Vinnie

At 6 am the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left. That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Pop, Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances. Love, Vinnie

I wonder if mylar bags could be sealed in the field with vicegrip clamp heated with mini torch.

Likely, but if you have a regular wall plug, when your wife is out shopping, simply borrow her clothes iron (or your kids snowboard waxing iron) and with a metal straight edge underneath, iron it closed. If you choose to do this, please keep my name out of it if your wife asks how you came up with this harebrained, but effective, idea:)

But it does work, you can ask both my wife and my son. I was ironing all the mylar bags to seal rice and beans. The kids swix snowboard iron had a receipt in the box, likely in case he'd ever return it. $106! for a snowboard waxing iron! Kid hadn't learned about Goodwill at that time apparently. Now that he's out on his own that's all he does. LOL

Here is my plan for my first stash. I will put AR parts (minus barrel and stock), tools and some ammo in 50 cal ammo can. The ammo can will then be stuffed into 6 gallon 90mil bucket. If opening diameter of gamma seal allows 50cal ammo box to fit, I will use it. If not I will use a normal lid. A 16" nitrided barrel will be wrapped individually and stuffed into barrel along side the ammo box. The stock will be laid on top of ammo box. Any extra space will be filled with sealed ammo packets. The top half of the bucket will be covered with pond liner and sealed with 14inch stainless hose clamp. Once sealed the bucket will be buried on a slope or high point of the landscape, covered with a few inches of top soil. A rock will be laid over the top. I might open this every other year and fire a few rounds before resealing it. Ammo can be refreshed as needed. If bucket stays dry after the first couple of years, I may add a pistol to the mix.

Here is my plan for my first stash. I will put AR parts (minus barrel and stock), tools and some ammo in 50 cal ammo can. The ammo can will then be stuffed into 6 gallon 90mil bucket. If opening diameter of gamma seal allows 50cal ammo box to fit, I will use it. If not I will use a normal lid. A 16" nitrided barrel will be wrapped individually and stuffed into barrel along side the ammo box. The stock will be laid on top of ammo box. Any extra space will be filled with sealed ammo packets. The top half of the bucket will be covered with pond liner and sealed with 14inch stainless hose clamp. Once sealed the bucket will be buried on a slope or high point of the landscape, covered with a few inches of top soil. A rock will be laid over the top. I might open this every other year and fire a few rounds before resealing it. Ammo can be refreshed as needed. If bucket stays dry after the first couple of years, I may add a pistol to the mix.
A regular .50 can will fit into a 5 gallon bucket, but I don't think a "Fat .50" would (I don't feel like trudging thru the snow to get one from the shop to try) - but it might be worth trying as a regular .50 fits inside a "Fat" .50 - if you wanted double protection. I will try to remember to grab one next time I am out there.

I don't have any 6 gallon buckets - I don't know if they are a larger diameter or not.

I don't know if a Gamma lid is better than a snap on lid with regards to a seal against water or if it is just more convenient. Be sure to tape a lid opener to the top of the snap on lid if that is what you want to use. Maybe use a sealant in the lid?

I don't know if a Gamma lid is better than a snap on lid with regards to a seal against water or if it is just more convenient.

That's exactly the example I was thinking of when I made my post regarding o-rings (post #98). I saw a YouTube video where someone tested a Gamma lid by filling a bucket with water and then checking for leakage. He had significant leakage, and recommended the snap on lids. But since then I have read that over tightening the o-ring lids can cause the rings to buckle and thus leak under the lid. I had a similar experience with a container, not a food bucket, where over tightening made the container less waterproof. I'm talking about lids that screw on, where the rotation of the lid can catch the o-ring seal and drag it. If the lid just compresses straight on, no problem as far as I know.

I guess if you have any doubts do your own test. Fill it with water and then see if it leaks.

Last Edited:
A regular .50 can will fit into a 5 gallon bucket, but I don't think a "Fat .50" would (I don't feel like trudging thru the snow to get one from the shop to try) - but it might be worth trying as a regular .50 fits inside a "Fat" .50 - if you wanted double protection. I will try to remember to grab one next time I am out there.

I don't have any 6 gallon buckets - I don't know if they are a larger diameter or not.

I don't know if a Gamma lid is better than a snap on lid with regards to a seal against water or if it is just more convenient. Be sure to tape a lid opener to the top of the snap on lid if that is what you want to use. Maybe use a sealant in the lid?
Diameter is same on 6 gal buckets but they have the extra length needed for 16in barrel to be stored upright. Thanks for checking those dimensions.

Why not use Seal -A-Meal bags and the sealing device?

You can buy rolls of uncut bags and cut your own to fit whatever.

I use them all the time with fresh meat to freeze. I suspect they would keep moisture out as well.

THEN when you forget about what you buried, have to leave quickly with no time to dig the stuff up the person who might eventually find it might get lucky and find undamaged stuff!

Why not use Seal -A-Meal bags and the sealing device?

You can buy rolls of uncut bags and cut your own to fit whatever.

I use them all the time with fresh meat to freeze. I suspect they would keep moisture out as well.

THEN when you forget about what you buried, have to leave quickly with no time to dig the stuff up the person who might eventually find it might get lucky and find undamaged stuff!
Those bags are not very durable nor long lasting from what I have read.

I use VCI bags, and for smaller items I put the VCI bags inside mylar bags.

Lets say hypothetically that some of you dont entirely trust your government :s0112: or just want a backup stash of useful items in the advent of disaster or house fire.

If you were burying a stash somewhere that would include basics like firearm, ammo, food, water, fire starters, valuables, etc.
what else would you throw in there?

Gold coins? Blow up doll? 10 pounds of gummy bears?
whatcha got?

lets say 10 years which limits battery operated devices (radios, etc)

View attachment 860199
Don't bury your guns. Bury your tyrants.

Check the local junkyard/recycler and get an old transformer box, copy stickers from a nearby real box

I think this is a good idea, but not easy to pull off. I'd have to find and then search a junk yard, and I'd be surprised if I found any. Are lots of these boxes discarded? Copying stickers from a real one is certainly within my skill set, but my yard is so small there would be no place to put it "out of the way." I think I've already got one of these in my yard, I'll check tomorrow, but I don't think my neighbor does. Maybe I can locate it on his property while he's away and trust him to not realize it wasn't there before. :D

Of course, now that this is on the Internet every transformer box in the county will be broke into. :eek:

But I like this idea!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top