JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what you need. I found this photo online, but it's exactly as I remember. Ten years, submerged, and not even a hint of moisture inside.

Anything that will leak, even slightly over time, isn't good enough.
1619558391860.png

I wonder about using the rolls of vacuum sealer bags like for the FoodSaver. Toss some O2 absorbers in after sealing one end to the length you need. Slide in VCI wrapped greased gun already in a VCI bag and then vac seal other end. Then start with the mylar sealed bag and continue as @The Heretic said above. Been a while since I read this thread, may have been mentioned before.

The thing to think about is that a well protected long term stash is not going to be easy to grab and go. Even if you can grab it, you are going to have to unwrap, clean, and possibly assemble things to get it ready to use. Otherwise you have too little protection and risk it being a rusty pile o' junk when you get to it. Always trade offs.

This is what you need. I found this photo online, but it's exactly as I remember. Ten years, submerged, and not even a hint of moisture inside.

Anything that will leak, even slightly over time, isn't good enough.
View attachment 872002

I don't know. It seems to me that such boxes would not be as strong as a one piece tube, and the seam around the edges of the lid would be more prone to leakage. Not to mention that many of those are metal, which corrode over time.

I don't know. It seems to me that such boxes would not be as strong as a one piece tube, and the seam around the edges of the lid would be more prone to leakage. Not to mention that many of those are metal, which corrode over time.
The particular can that I have experience with is pretty heavy duty, thicker steel than a regular ammo can. I'm sure it could rust through eventually, but it held up surprisingly well for being buried in the damp Oregon woods, submerged in rainwater for a decade. I'm sure a properly designed plastic container would be just as good or better, but I was impressed by this old Navy ammo can.

The rifles inside were not prepped in any way, other than a light coat of gun oil, just laying in the can. Pop the hasps on the lid, pry the lid off, and they were ready to go. Makes me wonder what they would have looked like now, had we not dug them up back then. I think it would be about 30 years now. Based on condition after 10 years, I'd have a pretty high degree of confidence that it would go 30.

I still look back and chuckle at the thought that a couple SKSs are some scary contraband that needed to be hidden away. I think they were $75 guns back then. Soon after being dug up, they were unceremoniously sold off for cheap. I wish I'd have bought them myself.

Like what?
Nearly any option you can imagine that avoids water. As a lot of the posts above show, a huge concern is moisture, and rightly so. The ground has a lot of moisture in it. Maybe if we were in a dry part of New Mexico or something, ala Breaking Bad, it would make more sense. Here, in the Pacific Northwest, I may as well be planning to sink it into a lake for a decade or two. Vacuum bags and seals fail. Containers corrode and develop leaks. Ground can physically move and cause the container to be compromised. I'd go with nearly any other option first, personally.

Just my opinion.

Just a note from someone who has had forest thinned and clear cut; the ruts the equipment make are deep - some above my knees. Also, slash piles will burn as deep into the ground as those ruts, possibly deeper, they burn for days to weeks and burn very hot. If you do not have direct control over the land you have no control over the stash.

Hypothetically if I was to bury something I would not hypothetically say anything about it in a hypothetical situation that was created on an open forum that would hypothetically have people who could hypothetically be monitoring said hypothetical questions and hypothetical scenarios... hypothetically speaking of course :D :s0140:

I heard say it's a good idea to bury a cache, were there a need, along a going railway right of way that has good and common reference markers and whatnot.

I heard say it's a good idea to bury a cache, were there a need, along a going railway right of way that has good and common reference markers and whatnot.
I'd figure offset along a power easement as well. Would have been mentioned by the same folks. Easements which could be used as alternate routes.

Had someone mentioned anything, that is.

Lets say hypothetically that some of you dont entirely trust your government :s0112: or just want a backup stash of useful items in the advent of disaster or house fire.

If you were burying a stash somewhere that would include basics like firearm, ammo, food, water, fire starters, valuables, etc.
what else would you throw in there?

Gold coins? Blow up doll? 10 pounds of gummy bears?
whatcha got?

lets say 10 years which limits battery operated devices (radios, etc)

View attachment 860199

Sorry. Nope.
She's my emotional support doll. I need her close by me. You know.....for if/when the SHTF.

Sex-Doll-Photo-from-www_sodahead_com_.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS....with or without batteries.....IT'S ALL GOOD.

Nearly any option you can imagine that avoids water. As a lot of the posts above show, a huge concern is moisture, and rightly so. The ground has a lot of moisture in it. Maybe if we were in a dry part of New Mexico or something, ala Breaking Bad, it would make more sense. Here, in the Pacific Northwest, I may as well be planning to sink it into a lake for a decade or two. Vacuum bags and seals fail. Containers corrode and develop leaks. Ground can physically move and cause the container to be compromised. I'd go with nearly any other option first, personally.

Just my opinion.
But you said there are better options. When I asked you said nearly any option is better. Like what? Specific examples, not just saying anything....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top