JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets say hypothetically that some of you dont entirely trust your government :s0112: or just want a backup stash of useful items in the advent of disaster or house fire.

If you were burying a stash somewhere that would include basics like firearm, ammo, food, water, fire starters, valuables, etc.
what else would you throw in there?

Gold coins? Blow up doll? 10 pounds of gummy bears?
whatcha got?

lets say 10 years which limits battery operated devices (radios, etc)

View attachment 860199
Seeds, lots of seeds. No, not those seeds, vegetable seeds. I once hunted in the same area year after year and I would return after the last chance of frost in the early summer ( High elevation) and I would plant seeds along side a few springs. I planted onions, green onions, radish, potatoes, carrots even asparagus and come fall when I returned to hunt, I had some fresh garden produce, surrounding it with big cat dung from Wildlife Safari proved useful in keeping the deer away but even without that I still had a harvest. So yes lots of seeds.

I have been building a long term Whiskey Geocache for both of my kids' 21st birthdays. I usually use a 50cal ammo can, multiple plastic bags, a fifth of higher end whiskey, a proper glass, and a dated letter. Im aiming for 21 bottles each. Lattitude and longitude are both logged, and the date buried. I have whiskey in most of the western states, Mostly in the mountains, and all in hard to reach locations :) and it should realistically take them years to get them all. Cork side is always facing up, and I choose whiskey with a synthetic cork to resist long term degredation :)

20210320_204546.jpg

Last Edited:
I have been building a long term Whiskey Geocache for both of my kids' 21st birthdays. I usually use a 50cal ammo can, multiple plastic bags, a fifth of higher end whiskey, a proper glass, and a dated letter. Im aiming for 21 bottles each. Lattitude and longitude are both logged, and the date buried. I have whiskey in most of the western states, Mostly in the mountsins, and all in hard to reach locations :) and it should realistically take them years to get them all. Cork side is always facing up, and I choose whiskey with a synthetic cork to resist long term degredation :)

View attachment 897125
That's a pretty gosh darned good idea, thanks on the share!

if im going to bury anything, im going to bury everything...literally. theres gonna be so much metal in the ground that after the 20th brake rotor someone digs up they'll stop looking. even the government radar planes will only give a once over.

:s0156:

:rolleyes:

If I were to bury a stash, I would do it in one of my anti-gun neighbor's yards...no one will ever look there. And if they do, it'll look like they stole my guns and will get charged for theft and unlawful possession.

If I were to bury a stash, I would do it in one of my anti-gun neighbor's yards...no one will ever look there. And if they do, it'll look like they stole my guns and will get charged for theft and unlawful possession.
Just to be funny here but hiding an old bb gun under the area they set up an above ground pool would be hilarious.?..ok I am not funny or nice :confused: :s0140::confused:

People keep saying that.

And yet, the Founding Fathers hid their arms.
Indeed! Paul Reverse's ride was specifically to warn John Adams that the guns Adams had been squirreling away needed to be moved STAT! Got that tidbit from the Paul Revere house tour in Boston. Still there, built in the 1600's.

Oh, and CVTs advise on a Navy box is sound, BUT, remember that stuff is often surplussed from the military because it is non-functional. If you are going Navy/Army surplus, look it over very very carefully pre-purchase to verify functionality. Even then, plan on water infiltration. Gravel bed under the box, items Cosmolined (or whatever you choose) put in a sealed VCI bag (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor = VCI) and up off the bottom of the Navy box.

The Mossberg JIC (Just In Case) containers would do the trick as well but are too small for most things, however, they would fit a pistol, ammo and a bunch of other things as well. Be aware that the Mossy JIC shotgun grips are made smaller than most pistol grip shotguns, and yours might not fit, so measure first. Ask me how I learned this fact after buying 2 of them (case only) and finding out they are too small. (insert sad face here).

52340JICMariner.png

Last Edited:
I have more than enough firearms now to risk losing a few to underground elements.

My latest idea to bury an AR15 is to use a harbor freight storage container like this for all the components minus the barrel.

The barrel could be put into sealed mylar bag then stuffed into sealed pvc pipe section.

How long would mylar bags hold up buried underground?

The reason for stashing a firearm should influence how you store it.

I am doubtful we will experience a zombie type of apocalypse where all law and order has broke down. A more likely scenario is that Tyrants will take over and take away your firearms and your right to acquire new firearms. In that case you may want to have a taste of freedom stashed away for reminiscing.

If you are planning on accessing your stash on a semi-regular basis and using it away from prying eyes, then location will be important. It will need to be in a remote location where gunshots would not alarm anybody who might be within hearing distance. The stash should be readily accessible and resealable in the field.

I wonder if mylar bags could be sealed in the field with vicegrip clamp heated with mini torch.

Or use the waterproof tapes to seal the mylar bags.

Last Edited:
If it's time to bury your guns, it's time to start using your guns.
I have heard that but in the case of an individual trying to save a shred of his firearm freedoms, he probably won't have much luck using his guns to get that freedom back.

Tyrants taking your firearm freedoms can happen fast. I know from experience helping someone get a pretrial release. Firearms had to be removed before the person would be allowed pretrial release.

If the person had stashed some firearms inawoods, the person might be able to reminisce a little. If not, I guess they can get a bb gun.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top