JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can you just cut the nose of your FMJ to make a dum dum if you need it?

I believe that unless you did it on a lathe with the bullet out of the case you guarantee loss of accuracy. Even then, I'm not sure. If I did that, I'd next chuck up a drill bit and make it a "sort of" hollow point. Then I'd only use it at very close range with no guarantee of results. Bottom line - I wouldn't do it but YMMV. You could try it and test for accuracy, but I'd rather just buy the hollow points to reload.

Can't imagine how to answer the question. I have 24 firearms in 12 calibers

I have FMJ
I have hollow points
I have HPBT
I have flat nose
I have round nose
I have Tracers
I have armor piercing
I have Incendary
I have exploding tips
I have solid dead soft round balls
I have soft lead conicals
I have tissure thin jackets varmit slugs that will explode on a chipmunk
I have plated lead slugs that mush all out almost as good as a HP

In .22LR I think I have 8 different types of slugs alone,

To limit ones self to a single anything is to be limited.

I'm trying to put together a stash of .45 fmj for shtf, as my g30sf is my planned shtf gun. I try to buy at least a few boxes a week from Wally World. A couple boxes of Tula for shooting, and a box or two of brass cased fmj for putting away.

If I should miss, or they find cover the FMJ may help, although .45 ACP has questionable penetration against even a car door.

I came across an old car in the mountains. It looked to be a car from the 50's or 60's so it was a much more robust than cars today. I shot through the door to see how my .45 would do. The round had no problem penetrating through and through.

I try to keep at least a few k of FMJ on hand in .45 ACP, and a couple more than that in 9mm. I just don't think you can go wrong with FMJ.
I performed a layman's autopsy on a deer carcass that had been hit by a vehicle a few years back, and found fresh dead. The animal was not salvageable due to heavy damage to the hind legs. After placing it in an upright position, (yes I know we shouldn't have), Four shots were fired through the ribs/lungs with a .45 ACP @ 25 yrds. All but one of the Speer hollow points were pristine and could have been reloaded and used, the other was dented in on the hollow due to hitting a rib, and none expanded. Three were found just under the skin on the far side and one in the far rib inside of the chest cavity. It opened my eyes to the effectiveness of a hollow point when used in a slow mover. The ammunition was loaded and fired by another member of this site who knows his stuff about reloading as well as anyone. He reloaded these rounds to spec and was as taken back by the results as I was. Just a thought on the subject.

I believe that unless you did it on a lathe with the bullet out of the case you guarantee loss of accuracy. Even then, I'm not sure. If I did that, I'd next chuck up a drill bit and make it a "sort of" hollow point. Then I'd only use it at very close range with no guarantee of results. Bottom line - I wouldn't do it but YMMV. You could try it and test for accuracy, but I'd rather just buy the hollow points to reload.

Ever see the Discovery Channel's documentary on soldiers that reversed the bullets to penetrate the metal plates of tank armor? Also...the "Box 'o Truth" already tested the above...

The Box O' Truth #32 - Dum-Dum Bullets and the Box O'Truth - Page 3

For SHTF, I think FMJ is the way to go--penetration will seem more important. I've been a .40 and 9mm guy, but I seem to shoot better with .357SIG and it has good penetration qualities. It's flatter shooting too. Tougher to find sometimes and more expensive though. I have an M&P40 with 9mm and 357SIG conversions...3 guns for the price of one and half!

A BIG thumbs up..I have built...er I mean I have heard of guys building home built claymores and have heard they are impressive. Properly sited on your property they would be quite effective if unwanted scavengers or zombies showed up.

I knew a guy down in Tulsa that had a little trouble with a federal agency - he apparently got caught with several weapons he bought cheap and they never hit his FFL books - and unfortunately for him they were stolen military property. While they were searching his property he dug his hole a little deeper when they found that the barrel racing layout in his back pasture had barrels filled with pea gravel and... what do you know... down the center were tubes chock full of dynamite and wired to be fired from in the house... Last I heard he has a few more years before he is eligible for parole.

In a WROL situation, I think its going to be about quantity. Ammunition is going to be a big part in currency, and I'm going to guess that a box of bullets would probably get me a nice big bag of rice and a couple lbs of meat. 22lr or 45acp. a bullet is a bullet. and even a 22lr can take down a rabbit to a deer. all about survival at that point and more is better. Stock all that you can get whether jhp or fmj.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top