JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TC IDPA is on the 2nd Sunday of the month. The next match is May 12, 2013.

See tc-idpa.org for match announcements and scores. A day or two before the match the MD usually posts the round count and more information about the match.

Registration Opens at 8:00am
New Shooter Briefing at 8:15am
Start Shooting at 9:00am

I am going to toss an IDPA question in at the end of this thread and appreciate the answers? I just learned of the existence of USPSA and IDPA and want to shoot both. Long before thinking for competing, I bought a Ruger SR40 as a defensive gun. It has a Chicklet sized safety button that if never used, leaves the gun as safe as a Glock. If I shoot USPSA or IDPA, do I have to use the safety? My read on the IDPA rules is that it's shooter's option.

Hello,

I was in squad 3 and the one shooting the sig with the sport cap, long Kakis and grey vest.

I was list as participant #14 on the roster.

It was nice to see the scoring so quick. I think my main goal for next time is to slow down and take more measured shots, although it was fun blasting away at the steel from the mattress.

Cheers

Oh yeah, I know who you you are. Im the dude with the chick who was taping all the targets. We were on the same squad in a previous match.....

Totally, you shoot really well. I went up to log land the day before and was doing some run and gun and it really helped. I've been thinking about getting some steel to make it a little easier to set up targets. Best part was being able to run both a rife and pistol over about a half mile section I set up. Definitely makes you work under a stressful situations.

I am going to toss an IDPA question in at the end of this thread and appreciate the answers? I just learned of the existence of USPSA and IDPA and want to shoot both. Long before thinking for competing, I bought a Ruger SR40 as a defensive gun. It has a Chicklet sized safety button that if never used, leaves the gun as safe as a Glock. If I shoot USPSA or IDPA, do I have to use the safety? My read on the IDPA rules is that it's shooter's option.

From the rulebook:
C 15. Pistols must start from the mechanical condition of readiness appropriate to their design and be loaded to division capacity

And later in the SSP section
H. Begin hammer down for selective DA/SA pistols.

For SSP, if it is a DA/SA then hammer down. For ESP, you can be cocked and locked. There is a discussion on the semi official forum regarding the necessity of putting the safety on when the hammer is down. There is no clear answer so I would ask the RO at your first match.

From the rulebook:
C 15. Pistols must start from the mechanical condition of readiness appropriate to their design and be loaded to division capacity

And later in the SSP section
H. Begin hammer down for selective DA/SA pistols.

For SSP, if it is a DA/SA then hammer down. For ESP, you can be cocked and locked. There is a discussion on the semi official forum regarding the necessity of putting the safety on when the hammer is down. There is no clear answer so I would ask the RO at your first match.

Thanks Unibrain. My Ruger has no hammer. It's basically a Glock with a safety. I hope I can leave it off.

It was my first ever IDPA or competitive firearm match of any sort Sunday, and I had a great time. Didn't DQ myself and wasn't the absolute slowest on most stages.

Two of them, though, I mindf*cked myself and froze up. Once on account of target engagement, and once a reload caught me by surprise and I sent my extra mag tumbling to the ground.

Just a matter of getting the muscle memory down and being ready to keep operating the mechanical parts, right?

Glad I went and am looking forward to improving my skills in the months to come.

Thanks Unibrain. My Ruger has no hammer. It's basically a Glock with a safety. I hope I can leave it off.

For USPSA, you need to 'show clear and hammer down'' at the end of every stage. That means that you will need to dry fire. Ruger doesn't recommend dry firing the SR40 without a magazine in place so it's best to remove the magazine disconnect. Since mag disconnect removal is allowed, you won't be breaking any rules. As far as the safety, if the gun is equipped with one, you need to use it. In all divisions, except for open, safeties must remain intact.

The nice part about USPSA is that everyone must attend a 4 hour safety class prior to their first match so you get a great opportunity to get acquainted with the rules.

"Dude with a Chick" - is that some kinda of Tacti-Cool accessory

It is. Although it may not be completely IDPA legal, Ill have to confirm with the new rule book. If you wish to use one I advise you double up on hearing protection. The sound coming from it could be loud and annoying sometimes. (I wonder if YHM could make me a can for that!?!) You also might want to keep a close eye on it and not leave it alone. Its possible it could get stolen...;)

@Will - A great many competitors have a fantastic, perfect even, plan and then, the buzzer goes off.

Glad you had a good time - come back.

Something that helps me, is even though we can not "Air Gun"
You can think thru the shooting positions, counting your shots and reload places.
And, think about the failure points - what if the steel doesn't fall?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top