JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While it okay to disagree with someone...
Attack their position taken...not the forum member who posts.

NWFA has rules in regards to posting...please review them.
Andy
I said we, as in us as a community. If every gun owner is scared to exercise their rights then they gave up on those rights. If you can't pick up a bat you can't hit a home run. That's all I implied

I said we, as in us as a community. If every gun owner is scared to exercise their rights then they gave up on those rights. If you can't pick up a bat you can't hit a home run. That's all I implied
I don't think anybody is suggesting that they're "afraid" to exercise their rights. There are plenty of ranges that host competitions, and I'm sure they would be open to BBQ afterwards if they don't already do that.

To most on the forum, safety is paramount. I don't even like shooting in the woods due to the unknown people out there.

I'm not sure if you have a range membership, but I usually see at least one violation at our local range whenever I go out. Now add the complexity of taking rando's and have them run around. No thank you.

Last Edited:

That might be so.
Thank you for your clarification.

However...
Wording is important...and many times posts may read like one thing to the fella who posts it...
Yet read like something else to others.

In any event....
While you are swinging for the grandstand...to use your analogy...
Keep in mind that there are more strikes ...than home runs in the game .
Andy

Really good idea honestly. Doing so on public land will be a challenge for a multitude of reasons mentioned. This would have to be a private land deal… orrr get a group of close friends and be able to set up and take down a small course (targets/stands, small obstacles, and barriers) and do it in a lesser known spot as to not piss off the locals who want to plunk targets flat footed. I have several such silhouettes and stands that I set up and shoot when I happen to get to my spot before anyone else. Really challenging and fun to shoot and move, setup scenarios, etc. I don't bother with it if others are around.

Surprised at the lack of enthusiasm from others on this. Shooting and moving fast is hard and should be practiced. Cardio is incredibly important!

Also, I believe everyone took you beers and burgers thing way out of context. What's wrong with shooting, putting all your stuff away including guns then enjoy a beer and some grilled food on the tailgate after? Do it all the time after a day of bird hunting.

The "Public Land" part of this discussion is very important.

Public land gets lots of use...so when using public land , one needs to be mindful of others.
Others who may want to use it...perhaps that very spot that you are using.

I often shoot on public land...and when done shooting , have been known to go to a spot with a pretty view...
And enjoy a cookout with coffee or yes , even a beer...But always afterwards , never during shooting.

The two main concerns I have here with the OP are...

Safety...
Since it is public land...and others may be there or show up while the style of shooting , as desired by the OP is going on...
A system of safety for those involved as well as those who ain't needs to be in place.

And...
Understanding that what is being asked in the OP...can seem like someone taking over a public area for their own use and enjoyment.

In any event...
I am out of this thread as well....best of luck to the OP.
Andy

Last Edited:
Oh goody, another newbie here to tell us we are doing it wrong. Take a step back and think about what you are saying. Just because some here (me) don't want to play your game doesn't mean we're (me) not exercising our 2A rights. I'm a competitive shooter and have been for about 40 years across a wide spectrum of disciplines. Here's the rub, public land for public uses, how does what you are thinking of help or hinder our 2A rights when Joe Mushroom picker and his family see a bunch of tacti-cools running and gunning thru their secret mushroom patch and then all standing around all strapped up drinking beer and eating Q? How are they going to vote in the next election and what will their next letter to their congress critter say?

Just because some here (me) don't want to play your game doesn't mean we're (me) not exercising our 2A rights.
Ditto this.

I have been shooting on public land (regularly) for over 40 years and for me (and many) shooting is a sport, hobby and pastime - and something I find relaxing - and not something that needs to be turned into a stressful, physically demanding 'game' - at least for me anyway.

First, this is a really bad idea, way too many people traveling through that area, bad things are sure to happen when you get a bunch of hillbillies with booze and guns all shooting and hootin in the same area at the same time! Second, OREGON has made ANY sort of training with firearms into illegal Militia Training and you WILL be arrested and charged! Doesn't matter what YOU think about exercising your rights, the STATE has made it illegal to train in any capacity, sanctioned or not, so yea, go ahead and train all you want and enjoy those rights, right up until the OSP shows up and arrests you!

First, this is a really bad idea, way too many people traveling through that area, bad things are sure to happen when you get a bunch of hillbillies with booze and guns all shooting and hootin in the same area at the same time! Second, OREGON has made ANY sort of training with firearms into illegal Militia Training and you WILL be arrested and charged! Doesn't matter what YOU think about exercising your rights, the STATE has made it illegal to train in any capacity, sanctioned or not, so yea, go ahead and train all you want and enjoy those rights, right up until the OSP shows up and arrests you!
Thank you, that's exactly what I was getting to in post #4! You just stated it better.

Tough crowd. Unfortunate thing about the gun community. At least you got some useful and constructive criticism/ideas. Most folks idea of firearm training is standing at 7 yards motionless.

Tough crowd.
Well, yea. Should it be passive and bendover?
Unfortunate thing about the gun community.
What is unfortunate about it? A lot of us were gun owners/shooters/reloaders etc. long before the 'WEB, forums and before gun ownership took a turn toward the 'tacticool', 'black guns' and all the 'defensive posturing' gun ownership seems to be dedicated to these days. Some of us might be just a little 'jaded' by what we have experienced over time.

BUT, before you criticize, or judge my opinions I owned an AR 15 before a lot of newer, 'gun owners' were born.

I had a 1978 Colt AR 15 A1 Sporter - and wish I still had it.....

Last Edited:
Tough crowd. Unfortunate thing about the gun community. At least you got some useful and constructive criticism/ideas. Most folks idea of firearm training is standing at 7 yards motionless.
It has nothing to do with adding physical exercise and stress. I do that on a regular basis. Everyone should. It has everything to do with safety and not trusting who's standing on the line behind me.

The fact that someone owns a gun, is part of a forum or claims to be pro-2A doesn't validate them as "quality."

ORM.

Most folks idea of firearm training is standing at 7 yards motionless.
Well then maybe they should expand their horizons.

A lot of us of us are 'woods walkers' and shoot at 'catch as catch can' targets. Or maybe hike the desert jackrabbit hunting with a handgun for sport (me) ? How about just benchrest shooting a nice rifle or handgun we enjoy for some relaxing target practice?

Gun ownership ain't all about 'training'. Is a certain amount of 'training' necessary? Of course it is - for new gun owners and those who are maybe unfamiliar with certain concepts, guns they are unfamiliar with or a variety of issues but far too many people have a narrow minded belief that owning guns is all about 'self defense' and are limiting their scope of understanding about how guns have played an important role in history, but better yet, the intro to the show 'Tales of the gun' says it well:

THE GUN HAS PLAYED A CRITICAL ROLE IN HISTORY.
AN INVENTION WHICH HAS BEEN PRAISED AND DENOUNCED...SERVED HERO AND VILLAIN ALIKE...AND CARRIES WITH IT MORAL RESPONSIBILITY.
TO UNDERSTAND THE GUN IS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HISTORY"

I guess I am missing the point.

If you want to shoot, go shooting.

If you want to exercise, then go run, or to the gym, whatever.

I like to fish but I'm not out swimming bank to bank while my fishing pole is stuck in the holder on the boat.

Regardless, keep this on 'your side of the hill' please....
Yup.

Been thinking about getting some of those weight training vests to get some weight bearing cardio in.

While smoking /jk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads