JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I signed up but am a newbie. I also sent the newbie email to the appropriate person listed on the website. It has been over two weeks and so far no contact. I have a sneeking feeling I am giong to show up this weekend to only be told that I can't shoot because I havn't taken a class or something. Any thoughts folks?

He's been distracted the last couple of weeks (still hasn't posted the scores from the shoot on the 10th). The only challenge you'll have if he doesn't respond to you in the next couple of days is getting in the gate. If you can get in they'll let you shoot, just get there early enough for the safety briefing.

I would use the contact form to ask for information on getting into the shoot if you aren't a TCGC member.

Soooo, howd everyone do? I know how you did Puk. What bout you Drlove? What squad were you in? 4 of the 8 of us got DQ in our squad, me included. Broke 180. Bums me out. Last stage 2nd to last target. Was doin great before that I think. Damn buzzer and truck...... Hit me up Puk and we'll figure out something for shootin.

Soooo, howd everyone do? I know how you did Puk. What bout you Drlove? What squad were you in? 4 of the 8 of us got DQ in our squad, me included. Broke 180. Bums me out. Last stage 2nd to last target. Was doin great before that I think. Damn buzzer and truck...... Hit me up Puk and we'll figure out something for shootin.
Man, that sucks!! hold on, don't tell me, you where in Alex's squad? I wouldn't be surprised, this guy has issues in my opinion!!

I did fine, it was fun, sorry to hear about the DQs!!

Problem is, if one SO is that strict and another is not, final scores will be very skewed against this specific squad. Anyway, I'm not saying he's not cool but I've seen him in 3-4 matches, highest # of DQs given, highest # of procedurals given.

I think the reason he has te highest number of DQ's is that he purposefully takes the new shooters. I have to say that all 4 DQ's today, incluing mine were legitimate. I really benefitted from havine him as our SO instead of a less strict SO. He really took the time to make it a corrective action instead of punitive. I spoke with him for several minutes and received a lot of tips on how some of the way I do things causes unintended gun handling issues.
That said, getting DQ's sucks! I have a lot to practice before the next competition.

When I saw the truck stage, I told someone: "People are going home on this one."

One person from our squad, swept himself opening the drivers door.
Someone else got talked to, it was close but not for certain and the SO wanted to be safe - as they must.

So far I have 3 things that send up the red - alerts
- Sitting. Especially if you have to shoot to weak side - too easy to sweep legs / feet.
- Near 180 - while there is no 180 rule in IDPA, you can point the muzzle past the safe point.
And, if you are doing a reload, the kant can get you.
- Number one -- DOORS. All doors - if you have to reach forward to get a knob, lever or whatever, you have to be doubly careful where the muzzle points.

Getting DQ sucks - Getting shot, however, no comparison.

I think the truck stage was set up poorly. I think the whole stage should have been rotated a little bit clockwise. The way they had it set up, a small error had you pointing your gun up range. Had it been turned just slightly the risk of sweeping up range would have been greatly reduced. At a minimum they should have had the boundary cones set out to give you something to visually clue you in. I think that DQ upsets me more than my own. They shouldn't be setting up stages where a minor error has you sweeping the crowd.

Rick,

I have one other red flag that I look for on a stage in addition to the ones you've listed.
- Anytime I shoot over something I make sure I don't "fish" with the gun. On this stage it was after opening the drivers door and shooting through the gap.

This stage stressed muzzle control and, for me, it was a slow and deliberate stage. My suggestions for this course design:
- Turn it slightly to make it harder to pass the muzzle safe point (suggested by Puk)
- Ditch the seatbelt. It was easy to get caught it in if you drew before releasing the belt
- No cover for this one. It was easy to get your cover garment caught on the draw

I was on Rick's squad (at least I think I was) and got to shoot the opening of the stage twice because of a stage malfunction. It was just has hard the second time.

I've seen many people say that you can have the best plan in the world but then the buzzer goes off. I have to say that while that can be true, it isn't always the buzzer. For me on the truck stage it was the damn swingers. I was doing very well up until those damn swingers tripped. They started swinging and I just got dumber. I think the best thing to learn from all of this stuff is practicing remaining vigilant despite distracting, adrenalin-triggering surprises.

I enjoyed the truck stage. It's always good to get a feel for a real world situation when no one is shooting back. As such, always think safety, then accuracy, then speed. Why get flustered when you have time on your hands. If it wasn't for TCGC IDPA I/we would not have the opportunity to get this close to a real life scenario.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love it too. I'm just saying if you're going to enforce a 180 rule, you shouldn't set up a course that requires someone to fire to within 5 degrees of that angle. That's a very narrow margin for error. Yes, you want to enforce muzzle control, but it shouldn't be a 'test' that puts other people in danger.

Oooh. They finally got the results posted from the 3/10 Classifier. It'll be interesting when they get the 3/30 shoot results up to see how many others DQ'd. I know we lost half our squad that day.

I asked Shawn for a copy of my score card so I can compare all other stages. Been thinkin about that truck stage ever since I DQd.... Buggin the PISS out of me. Last target of last stage, UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top