JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whatever. :rolleyes:

No you dumbass, charge me more. Yeah right. :s0140:

Bottom line, if one is too damn lazy to do a little research on what they are selling (not just firearms) that is 100% on them, but feel free to put me on your ignore list and rest assured you're not the only one.
I asked to be put 14th line for that Rossi. To be fair I did tell the seller it was a fantastic deal. I think I am going to start telling Safeway that some of their digital deals are priced below market value. They obviously don't know any better.

I get out of life what I put out to it.

What comes around goes around etc.

Karma if you want to label it.

The gun community I've had the privilege of meeting are usually salt of the earth people, but I only choose to surround myself with those types of people anyway.

I have been gifted and given to more then I feel I deserve, I constantly try to pay it forward anytime I see an opportunity. Often times all I can give is my time and effort as I rarely have disposable cash but sometimes people appreciate that more then monetary gifts.

I guess it comes down to if you can sleep at night having made the choices you made.
I don't go past a "like" often. But for me at least, your comments were spot on and worthwhile to read.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

I get out of life what I put out to it.

What comes around goes around etc.

Karma if you want to label it.

The gun community I've had the privilege of meeting are usually salt of the earth people, but I only choose to surround myself with those types of people anyway.

I have been gifted and given to more then I feel I deserve, I constantly try to pay it forward anytime I see an opportunity. Often times all I can give is my time and effort as I rarely have disposable cash but sometimes people appreciate that more then monetary gifts.

I guess it comes down to if you can sleep at night having made the choices you made.
Did not see this until the thread had gone on for a while. The relevant points have been well made. Personally no idea what the "range" for this type of gun is, don't really care. Hard for me to "feel bad" for someone in this day. If they can get on the net to sell they can certainly find the range of price for what they want to sell. Now back before Al invented the net I used to do shows a lot. There I did often see some "strange stuff". I sold a few guns at a price I "almost" felt bad taking the cash for. Almost. I was minding my own, sitting at a table. Some guy comes along and just has to have what I have and was willing to pay me a LOT for it. Ok, I made the sale and was happy. I a few times bought something at really low ball prices because someone wanted the cash NOW and I had cash. One example that still decades later bothers me was one of those Model 29's in the wood box display. Owner needed cash, I did not want the gun but could not turn it down. Having it and not being able to shoot it bothered me so damn much I bought a well used Mod 29 to shoot. Later at a show someone saw that nice one and paid me FAR too much, in my opinion. His opinion was he wanted the damn gun. Later sold the used one as not a wheel gun guy. The well used one is the one I still wish I had not sold as I am a shooter not a collector. Bottom line selling a few guns for a lot, or buying some at a great price? I slept fine after. I did not seek the buyers or sellers out, they came to me. :s0092:

I have probably paid too little for some old guns. There are times I didn't do the research and impulse bought. Strangely it worked out in my favor most of the time. Usually WWI era pistols actually. Around 2017-2018 people were practically giving them away. $79 for a piece of history I can shoot? Yes please. But some of them were undervalued I think, but all were purchased above board, and most of those were at shops, strangely. I stopped at 1 shop where I bought an fn 1910 for a price around $100. I asked them if the price was right and the owner said, yeah, I know it is worth more, but it is harder to move and if I make $100 bucks more on it in 3 weeks when I could have sold 3 guns for more profit than this is worth in the meanwhile, I am out money. I shrugged my shoulders and paid the stated price.

I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
Integrity, either you have it or you don't.
You have a good point.... Wish I'da known the value of a Rem-Rand I way undersold years ago..

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.
Yup!

1000-X-1000-3-1-768x768.png mzp7y.jpg

Speaking only for myself here....

I have often sold or traded a firearm of high worth / value for one of lesser worth / value...
Simply because I no longer had a use for the higher value one...but had a use for the lower value one.
Maybe that was the case here...

In any event...
If both the seller and buyer / trader are happy then it was a good deal.
Andy

There is no "we" here. This is a public forum with no real qualifications. I don't damn anyone for jumping on a good deal, but likewise if someone wanted to speak up and let them know that they have I have no issue with that either.

Think about this like a garage sale. If you find something that is worth $100, but they are selling it for $1, most people won't stop and tell them that they should be selling it for more. Trust me, if someone were to offer a $100 fermentor for $100 I wouldn't say a darn thing other than "take my money!"

I should say though, that I will not prey on someone's desperation. No one should.
This is an interesting comment.

I joined arfcom in 2003 and got banned in '14.
I always wanted to think of a gun board as a community of like-minded gun owners.
In the early years, arfcom kind of was.
I wasn't on NWFA until '16, so I don't know whether or how this board has evolved.

No matter what board you are on, you can always find people who say, "This board ain't what it used to be."

Maybe the idea that "There is no we here." explains why the most common occurrence on any type of internet forum is disagreement.

Probably, SHO just helped me understand internet forums.
Thanks man.
Only took 20 years.

I didn't see the following possibility mentioned above. There is always the chance that underpriced merchandise might be stolen and that is the reason a quick sale is desired.
The first 2 that popped in my head were: stolen, and poor little confused widow.

I guess,
In libera foro, venditor cave, caveat emptor.

I always wanted to think of a gun board as a community of like-minded gun owners.
Most of the time, the only thing this community is a like mind of is that they like guns. Outside of that, this is probably the most diverse community possible. That is why I like it, anyway. Plus, guns....duh.

I asked to be put 14th line for that Rossi. To be fair I did tell the seller it was a fantastic deal. I think I am going to start telling Safeway that some of their digital deals are priced below market value. They obviously don't know any better.
I will look to you Sir as an example to reform my evil ways.

I think I posted at about the same time that you did. My reserving a place in line at about one thousand something was an attempt at observing that the seller might want to wake up.
Who knows what was behind this...but certainly no one was at fault as the title of this thread suggests.

I think the OP is just pizzed he wasn't first on the deal. Go a head and put me on ignore, it'll have the effect as those that put a write-up paper in my employee file back when I was a working man.
I have the same exact gun that I bought from Ted up at Kesselrings in the "90's so I do know the value of it right now. Still weighing the ignore option :D

I was one of the first to contact the seller. I did tell him that was a stupid good deal and that I wanted it.

Turned out he wanted to sell it under the table to someone that was willing to break the law and not go through an FFL.

I told him I wasn't willing to do that.

He ended up saying he sold it to a LGS. Probably got more than $250.

But nobody took advantage of him. I think people were up front about that being a low price.

Best!

I have the same exact gun that I bought from Ted up at Kesselrings in the "90's so I do know the value of it right now. Still weighing the ignore option :D
I don't know Ted from Kesselrings, probably some richie rich place that over charged you for the privilege of doing business with them. I'm thinking of the 4 Rossi model 92's I've had the 357 and 44-40 were both bought used at a guns show back in the day for about the same as the add price point. The 45 Colt I paid extra for because it was the 24" barrel and the 44 Mag I currently have I bought brand new for my wife because she liked the look of the stainless steel and reddish wood.

I submit that the classifieds "community" here isn't all that warm and fuzzy. Just as the old gun show scene was not. "Fish" come along without knowing what they've got and most gun enthusiasts who are constantly adding to their holdings will jump on it. While paying the least amount of money they must. Including doing anything they can to ace out other "members" of their gun "community."

Decades ago, I found an unusual rifle in a pawnshop. When I got home that night, I called up a supposed pal of mine to see what he thought about it. I made the mistake of telling him where I found it. He went down the next day and bought it before I could get back to the store. It's that kind of "community." It's my experience that most gun collectors are an acquisitive, avaricious lot, in general. As are people in many such materially-oriented pursuits. Sure, there are a few saints out there with a sense of values.

My compliments to the OP for having a rare sense of fair play, but he's whizzing in the wind.

I didn't see the following possibility mentioned above. There is always the chance that underpriced merchandise might be stolen and that is the reason a quick sale is desired.
I like your posts- always well written and insightful! People are people; they're like this everywhere.

This too. I know it seems like a contradiction of the first quote, but I don't think it is. Some people are helpful and generous, some are stingy and "all about the dollar", and most are somewhere in between. The "community" part is personal. I've had people help me over the years in many ways, typically because I was sincere and shared a common interest. I learned to avoid the guys who will take you at the gun shows.
Sometimes even the "avaricious" type will cut you a break and treat you right once they know you. Most of us will give a better deal to a friend or relative than a stranger.

I bought a couple rifles from an acquaintance some years back. He was settling an estate and there were two that nobody in the family wanted, since they were broken and not very pretty. He offered them to me for $25 each, because that's what the local gun shop offered him "for parts". I told him that they were worth a lot more than that, in my opinion. He didn't care, just wanted them gone: $50 for the pair it was. I fixed them up nicely and still have them.

I was one of the first to contact the seller. I did tell him that was a stupid good deal and that I wanted it.

Turned out he wanted to sell it under the table to someone that was willing to break the law and not go through an FFL.

I told him I wasn't willing to do that.

He ended up saying he sold it to a LGS. Probably got more than $250.

But nobody took advantage of him. I think people were up front about that being a low price.

Best!
I did not buy this but I personally know the FFL who did the transfer today. No laws were broken. Apparently the seller is divesting due to age.

Sometimes a sale isn't about getting max value, I've sold multiple guns under their market value.
Why you might ask, because it leads to a quicker sale, sold in a few days to one or two weeks at undervalue price or sell for full market value in several months.
I've traded multiple guns at gun stores and took a loss to try out rare/uncommon guns.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top