JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've come across some great deals in the past and will tell or say to them that this deal is more than fair and give them an out. Only once did they not say that they just wanted it gone. The one time I felt so bad and even showed them the going price that I paid them well over asking price. I'm not a monster but do enjoy a good deal here and there.

I've come across some great deals in the past and will tell or say to them that this deal is more than fair and give them an out. Only once did they not say that they just wanted it gone. The one time I felt so bad and even showed them the going price that I paid them well over asking price. I'm not a monster but do enjoy a good deal here and there.
I traded a buddy a mutt 1942 M1 (Springfield sub 1M serial) for a really nice 90s stainless Python. I told him my M1 was only a mutt and not worth the python value, but he really wanted the M1. He later took full advantage of me byselling me his other garbage in his collection.

To some, the $ don't mean much. Perhaps they compute things in a different way.
Yes, it takes about 12 seconds to ballpark the price of any given artifact but some might figure/remember what they paid for it 20 years ago and then factor in all the enjoyment same gave and zen a number right up that makes them happy.
No skin off my choad eaither way.
Most people are big boys and girls that can make their own decisions without second guessing them.

I can think of only one occasion here in which a seller was so wildly low on the price that I private messaged him. He replied he already knew, was fine with the very low asking price, but thanked me for my concern.

While I can't read that seller's mind, I have on many occasion listed items of my own (sometimes here, but more often Gunbroker) below market value. Sometimes significantly so. Why? I want it to move and if it has gotten to the point of jettisoning an item, I really don't care at that point at all, beyond minimal time investment to be done with it. Fast sale now for a little less is better than it languishing at auction forever. Others may be working with different parameters.

So, yah, a seller may not know what they have and are setting themselves up for a loss. But maybe others simply don't give a rip and just want to dump it.

Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF

FWIW, I believe I was the first to reply to him via PM and notified him I paid $600 for one over a year ago. He told me he was fine with the $250 price he listed.

Perhaps more people may have notified the seller but via PM so it is not seen on the classified thread itself.

There is no "we" here. This is a public forum with no real qualifications. I don't damn anyone for jumping on a good deal, but likewise if someone wanted to speak up and let them know that they have I have no issue with that either.

Think about this like a garage sale. If you find something that is worth $100, but they are selling it for $1, most people won't stop and tell them that they should be selling it for more. Trust me, if someone were to offer a $100 fermentor for $100 I wouldn't say a darn thing other than "take my money!"

I should say though, that I will not prey on someone's desperation. No one should.

I saw this ad and wondered how many people sent the seller a message, telling them their price was too low and offered $350?

You know, "in an effort to do what's right," and help a fellow gun enthusiast out. And what someone else might call, "a bid," to try to buy the rifle out from under someone who had messaged the seller first.

If you think someone is selling too cheap, send them a private message. This forum has a bad reputation for people making comments in sale ads. I and I know many others do not use these forums much for selling things because of it. I typically use other forums that have a better classified culture or rules.

I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
Integrity, either you have it or you don't.
I took 2 deals on here that were too good to be true. In both cases, I offered an extra amount of cash to bring it to market value. In both cases, my money was refused. And we are talking I offered them an extra $200 or $300 on the day of purchase. I didn't mention it, beforehand, and in both cases they were wanting to get exactly what they paid for it. So yeah, I might jump on a low price, but you might not know what I might actually do. Just food for thought.

I submit that the classifieds "community" here isn't all that warm and fuzzy. Just as the old gun show scene was not. "Fish" come along without knowing what they've got and most gun enthusiasts who are constantly adding to their holdings will jump on it. While paying the least amount of money they must. Including doing anything they can to ace out other "members" of their gun "community."

Decades ago, I found an unusual rifle in a pawnshop. When I got home that night, I called up a supposed pal of mine to see what he thought about it. I made the mistake of telling him where I found it. He went down the next day and bought it before I could get back to the store. It's that kind of "community." It's my experience that most gun collectors are an acquisitive, avaricious lot, in general. As are people in many such materially-oriented pursuits. Sure, there are a few saints out there with a sense of values.

My compliments to the OP for having a rare sense of fair play, but he's whizzing in the wind.

I didn't see the following possibility mentioned above. There is always the chance that underpriced merchandise might be stolen and that is the reason a quick sale is desired.

I submit that the classifieds "community" here isn't all that warm and fuzzy. Just as the old gun show scene was not. "Fish" come along without knowing what they've got and most gun enthusiasts who are constantly adding to their holdings will jump on it. While paying the least amount of money they must. Including doing anything they can to ace out other "members" of their gun "community."

Decades ago, I found an unusual rifle in a pawnshop. When I got home that night, I called up a supposed pal of mine to see what he thought about it. I made the mistake of telling him where I found it. He went down the next day and bought it before I could get back to the store. It's that kind of "community." It's my experience that most gun collectors are an acquisitive, avaricious lot, in general. As are people in many such materially-oriented pursuits. Sure, there are a few saints out there with a sense of values.

My compliments to the OP for having a rare sense of fair play, but he's whizzing in the wind.

I didn't see the following possibility mentioned above. There is always the chance that underpriced merchandise might be stolen and that is the reason a quick sale is desired.
Acquisitive

Beautiful word. I'm adding this to my undercover insult vocabulary.

Acquisitive
The alternative choice for this word was "greedy" but I chose a more diplomatic course. Acquisitiveness is a common human trait and I fully admit to having had my share of it as a gun enthusiast. As I've gotten old, the fires of that kind have burned very low. There is the realization that it is only "stuff" and soon someone else will get it. That's why you never see a U-Haul trailer behind a hearse.

The alternative choice for this word was "greedy" but I chose a more diplomatic course. Acquisitiveness is a common human trait and I fully admit to having had my share of it as a gun enthusiast. As I've gotten old, the fires of that kind have burned very low. There is the realization that it is only "stuff" and soon someone else will get it. That's why you never see a U-Haul trailer behind a hearse.""
"Avaricious" covered that.

I commented in the sale post that this was larceny. It was meant as a light hearted comment. But, is it ever OK to take advantage of someone? Well, no. But, maybe the rifle has a "questionable ownership history" or maybe it has been beat to shyt running it in SASS… Perhaps there's more to the story.
I don't know, don't want to know, but sometimes we make out like a bandit and have to live with ourselves. I've gotten ridiculous deals before. Just doesn't happen often.

Last Edited:
I get out of life what I put out to it.

What comes around goes around etc.

Karma if you want to label it.

The gun community I've had the privilege of meeting are usually salt of the earth people, but I only choose to surround myself with those types of people anyway.

I have been gifted and given to more then I feel I deserve, I constantly try to pay it forward anytime I see an opportunity. Often times all I can give is my time and effort as I rarely have disposable cash but sometimes people appreciate that more then monetary gifts.

I guess it comes down to if you can sleep at night having made the choices you made.

I think the OP is just pizzed he wasn't first on the deal. Go a head and put me on ignore, it'll have the effect as those that put a write-up paper in my employee file back when I was a working man.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top