JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably, SHO just helped me understand internet forums.
Thanks man.
Only took 20 years.
I suppose the online forums classifed thing is just the latest iteration of the dog-eat-dog ambiance of the former gun show scene.

Re. the poor, confused widow scenario. Not everyone is equipped to look gun stuff up on the internet. These people really need help, shouldn't be thrown under the bus, so take heed for your own futures. Have some consideration for loved ones and leave instructions behind.

Sometimes a sale isn't about getting max value, I've sold multiple guns under their market value.
Why you might ask, because it leads to a quicker sale, sold in a few days to one or two weeks at undervalue price or sell for full market value in several months.
Completely valid viewpoint. BUT: Most of us understand priced to sell vice a license to steal.

I don't know Ted from Kesselrings, probably some richie rich place that over charged you for the privilege of doing business with them. I'm thinking of the 4 Rossi model 92's I've had the 357 and 44-40 were both bought used at a guns show back in the day for about the same as the add price point. The 45 Colt I paid extra for because it was the 24" barrel and the 44 Mag I currently have I bought brand new for my wife because she liked the look of the stainless steel and reddish wood.
Kesselrings? Richie rich?! Your ignorance is showing LOL!

Some of you guys (generic, not aimed at anyone in particular) complain if the prices seem too high, and complain if the prices seems too good/low ? :rolleyes: really. It's rather interesting we have a 4 page thread about something priced "too far below market". I don't read that at all on car forums or art forums or other forums that have active B/S/T subforums.

I've paid $300 for a car with 82k miles, an anemic Iron Duke TBI 4 cylinder, a soft pillow interior (man, those seats can put me to sleep) and the inability to get much higher than 55mph :rolleyes: but KBB and Edmunds values says it should have brought $1,500 at the bare minimum :rolleyes: I killed the engine somehow, and sold it for $275 to a junkyard guy I believe. Only "lost" 25 on that after 5 ish years and adding 60k+ miles to that car. 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 2 door with the plush Brougham interior, in that particular 1980s shade of brown with a 2 tone brown and light grayish brown exterior. That was a fun, sedate sedan lol. Dad had gotten $200 for his Rossi 62SA back in 2011 I think it was, at the Rickreall summer gun show, and used that $200 to get a 1950s JC Higgins Model 20 12ga.

I didn't see the ad because I don't linger around all day. I also don't think people should be bashing anyone else for stating their own opinions on whether one way or another. Last I knew everyone agreed to being excellent to each other. I get the point of the OP and also the point that seller asked a price and people responded. I don't truthfully think that someone would sell something nowadays without at least taking a quick look at average asking price. I bought a few things from people that just wanted it gone for whatever reason.

But it's still a general rule "BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER!" With that said don't also immediately take offense or circle around someone else like a pack of vultures. I have said my $0.2 and will probably have 9 more comments about this thread by morning at a minimum. Good luck!

I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
Integrity, either you have it or you don't.
Here is a distillation of the first 3 pages, to the best of my understanding:

• Moral outrage that someone came on the forum and was ignorant, only to be subject to vultures looking for a good deal: Every episode of Pawn Stars for people who bought something unique at a garage sale…
  • Someone justifies buying from an ignorant seller.
  • Memes…
  • "Hey, they screw us or we get to screw them."
  • More justification: "I got screwed over for being stupid one time. It was just someone else's turn."
  • "Could have been a shady sale. Buyer beware and sometimes the buyer scores!"
  • "Sometimes you get screwed and sometimes someone warns you of getting screwed. Art of the deal. Live and learn."
  • "I've bought high and sold low. Sometimes life sucks."
  • "Bought cool guns for cheap that ended up being crap shooters."
  • "Never correct a fool for failing to do research."
  • "I normally take deals, but once in a while I have a heart and tell them what it's really worth."
  • "I made a trade and got better in the deal, but the other guy really wanted what I had. No regrets."
  • "Some people don't care about money. But be an adult and own your decision."
  • "I tried to warn the seller. Other people tried too."
  • "Deals a deal. I don't owe the 'community' a community bid!"
  • "I'll pay the cheap price, but if asked about value, I won't lie about what it's worth."
  • "I've over bid before because the seller didn't really know what they had, but sometimes you bid the price the fool is offering it for."
  • "Being cheap is not a moral sin."
  • "I've gotten good stuff for a cheap price before. But someday it will be someone else's when I die."
  • "What comes around goes around. I ain't rich, but find good deals sometimes. My return value is being a good person in other ways."
None of us are perfect. We are biased, flawed individuals who will justify our indulgences like anyone else. And I'm not better than any of you. I am a shooter, a gun enthusiast and proud to be one of you scoundrels!

Great discussion!

Last Edited:
Kesselrings
A quick OT comment. Oh, how I miss that business. An old-timey fun gun shop, with lots of guns out in racks to handle. Had been in biz since the 1940's. I've bought several guns there over the years. Smith & Wesson dealer with actual revolvers to sell. Oh for the days.

Here is a distillation of the first 3 pages, to the best of my understanding:

• Moral outrage that someone came on the forum and was ignorant, only to be subject to vultures looking for a good deal: Every episode of Pawn Stars for people who bought something unique at a garage sale…
  • Someone justifies buying from an ignorant seller.
  • Memes…
  • "Hey, they screw us or we get to screw them."
  • More justification: "I got screwed over for being stupid one time. It was just someone else's turn."
  • "Could have been a shady sale. Buyer beware and sometimes the buyer scores!"
  • "Sometimes you get screwed and sometimes someone warns you of getting screwed. Art of the deal. Live and learn."
  • "I've bought high and sold low. Sometimes life sucks."
  • "Bought cool guns for cheap that ended up being crap shooters."
  • "Never correct a fool for failing to do research."
  • "I normally take deals, but once in a while I have a heart and tell them what it's really worth."
  • "I made a trade and got better in the deal, but the other guy really wanted what I had. No regrets."
  • "Some people don't care about money. But be an adult and own your decision."
  • "I tried to warn the seller. Other people tried too."
  • "Deals a deal. I don't owe the 'community' a community bid!"
  • "I'll pay the cheap price, but if asked about value, I won't lie about what it's worth."
  • "I've over bid before because the seller didn't really know what they had, but sometimes you bid the price the fool is offering it for."
  • "Being cheap is not a moral sin."
  • "I've gotten good stuff for a cheap price before. But someday it will be someone else's when I die."
  • "What comes around goes around. I ain't rich, but find good deals sometimes. My return value is being a good person in other ways."
None of us are perfect. We are biased, flawed individuals who will justify our indulgences like anyone else. And I'm not better than any of you. I am a shooter, a gun enthusiast and proud to be one of you scoundrels!

Great discussion!
sewing-2.jpeg.jpg
Sewing circles gonna Sewing circle.

This too. I know it seems like a contradiction of the first quote, but I don't think it is. Some people are helpful and generous, some are stingy and "all about the dollar", and most are somewhere in between. The "community" part is personal. I've had people help me over the years in many ways, typically because I was sincere and shared a common interest. I learned to avoid the guys who will take you at the gun shows.
Sometimes even the "avaricious" type will cut you a break and treat you right once they know you. Most of us will give a better deal to a friend or relative than a stranger.
My hunting buddy (not a member of this forum) is all about THE DEAL. Man, he absolutely lives/loves to get a good bargain. On the other hand, he often ends up giving away whatever he "scored" on to someone who needs it. He's also the guy that will pick up an extra meal at the Mickey D's drive-thru to hand to a homeless person, and the first guy to offer a cold drink out of his lunch cooler to a dehydrated hiker on the PCT. All those things make him happy.

I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especial

integrity.png

I was one of the first to contact the seller. I did tell him that was a stupid good deal and that I wanted it.

Turned out he wanted to sell it under the table to someone that was willing to break the law and not go through an FFL.
Yahtzee!!!

Call me jaded from a former profession, but this is what I always think when I see a price too good to be true (i.e., stolen or some other nefarious reason for the low price).

Actually after wandering through four pages, I've seen many posts supporting that there are very good folks in this community who do try and do the right thing usually in private while no one is watching. That defines integrity to me.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.
If we can't b***h about a high price in the classifieds we should not be forced to correct a low one.

30 seconds on Google search will give you a market-ish price on pretty much anything in the world that has ever been for sale.
That said, I have been known to PM someone when a price is an obvious mistake.

Last Edited:
I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
Integrity, either you have it or you don't.
Please be excellent to other members...

As Momma always said, "If you can't say anything nice or positive, don't say anything at all".

If we can't beotch about prices, then we can't beotch about members not trying to correct those prices... even when such prices are on the stupid side.

This is an interesting comment.

I joined arfcom in 2003 and got banned in '14.
I always wanted to think of a gun board as a community of like-minded gun owners.
In the early years, arfcom kind of was.
I wasn't on NWFA until '16, so I don't know whether or how this board has evolved.

No matter what board you are on, you can always find people who say, "This board ain't what it used to be."

Maybe the idea that "There is no we here." explains why the most common occurrence on any type of internet forum is disagreement.

Probably, SHO just helped me understand internet forums.
Thanks man.
Only took 20 years.
Everyone is an individual and no two people are going to agree on everything. The reason politics get people motivated is that politicians understand that. Boil an issue down to something even an idiot can understand and slather your opponent with that sticky residue and tell your minions to attack.

I'm looking at you, Patty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads