JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
Integrity, either you have it or you don't.

Last Edited:
I like this post.

Also, I am somewhat politically active.

Unity. Either we have it, or really unintelligent people will continue to steamroll us.

2 cents.
Thx.

It's not taking advantage. Seller sets a price, if I like it for that price, I'll buy it, if I don't I won't. It's the sellers responsibility to research the value of the item. Maybe they paid less than market value for it, maybe they need quick $$ and need a quick sale, maybe they are too lazy to research the value. None of that gives the buyer a responsibility to up-haggle.

Did you talk to the seller and let them know of the items worth? Did you ask them why they were willing to let it go so cheap?

I don't see any comments from you on that thread.

1663779770464.png

Aloha, Mark

PS........and we're off.
1663779891402.png

Then LOL......

1663780038595.png

It works both ways I see a lot of Benchmade and microtech fakes posted as legit for legit prices. If they set a price and you're willing to pay it that's fair, If you take an item that you don't know the value of and somebody offers you a fraction of its actual value Then that's pretty shady.

I get what the OP is trying to get at but even with very little computer experience it is pretty easy to hit the search bar and look at what other similar items are listed as or sold for to get an idea of what the items value may be.

Needing fast cash, not wanting the ad to sit forever, not even needing the money are all valid reasons to sell something on the cheap.

We aren't supposed to comment on someone's ad price of its is excessively high and some noob buys it but we are supposed to to the opposite on good deals? You can't make that a one way street and the admin took away our ability to out people who are taking advantage of the system (partly why y'all haven't seen me in a couple years).

If someone is going to get a great deal I'd like it to be me cuz if not there are hundreds of people in line.

Literally 2 and 3 min after that ad was posted it was responded to - that's just the way it goes.

I got a great deal years ago on CL for an enclosed trailer that was new minus a guy driving from Montana with his Harley in it. I lived a few blocks from him, caught the ad minutes after posting, called him and said I needed to hit the bank for cash and I'd be there in 15 min.

He said when I got there, "We'll I guess your getting a good deal cuz I've had 30 phone calls since I talked to you". He had no regret or malice and didn't raise the price to see if he could get more for it.

I'll end with I sold a torch/welding setup that was easily worth $800-900 for $300. I sold it in a couple hours with cash in hand cuz I needed money bad. Do I wish I still had it? Yup. Would I do it differently if I could, maybe, but at the time that's what I had to sell and it is what it is.

In a perfect world we would all be excellent to each other and money wouldn't exist.

Just my 2 penny's

They set the price. If both parties are happy after the transaction does it really matter?

How do we know the seller in question is a guy? Maybe it's a soon to be divorced wife? The cheating no good son of a ,,,,,..... husband left her and the kids? Told her to sell his collection and send him the money?

I get the OP's point and it really would be nice if folks in our community didn't take advantage of each other, but it's kind of a fact of life these days. When money is involved, decency and honor go right out the windows for most. "Handshake deals" don't mean much, lowball everyone... someone might say yes, and look at all of our members that were more than happy to price gouge ammo throughout the pandemic just to make a buck for themselves.

Not cool, but everyone has free will and it is what it is. You can't do anything about it except choose not to participate in it. (Which is in part why I haven't bought a single bullet from our classifieds.)

They set the price. If both parties are happy after the transaction does it really matter?
Not especially, but if a guy had some dignity, he might tell the guy I'll take it, but I know what it's worth and I would feel guilty if I didn't pay you a leasy a huny on top of what you're asking.

Right?

I did't see the ad to know what he was selling or asking for it, but it sounds like there was some room in there where it could still be a good deal for a buyer even if he offered to pay a bit more over asking.(?)

FWIW Maybe 6 years ago I bought a very nice German Gew.98 from an old timer for $500. The guy was liquidating a large collection of Mausers. His son (who was there) told me his dad paid $20 for them back in the day. The cash in his hand put a smile on his face. Someday 30 years from now I will sell it for half of what it's worth and still make 500% profit. And I will be happy about it, because as life changes priorities change.

The only thing that irritates me is when people get a good deal on a gun and then flip the gun. I would always rather a good deal go to the shooter than the middle man. Especially now everything is so expensive.

Last Edited:
People are people. I gave up on them on a long time ago.
As to the pricing thing, any number of reasons why it was priced as a good deal.
Pissed off significant other. The price represented the value that the person had on it. Maybe they got it for free themselves and were flipping it.
Who knows.
Sometimes gift horses are told to go right back out the door that they came in....

If someone comes on stating their case of woe or ignorance (take for example a family member that inherited or a widow..etc) and made note that they were unsure what the going prices were and clearly makes mention of that in the ad, then I agree it is taking advantage if a buyer comes in and tells them the price is much lower than what they are asking..or tries to dupe them in any way.

HOWEVER Ive commented on a few ads and PM'd some folks where I had thought they made a typo and it turns out they did in fact pick that enticing price to sell ASAP.
Ive ran into many on the forum that simply price an item below market norms to rapidly move the item and sell it, And it works.

So while I can see the good nature in the OP's message, at the same time some folks know what they are doing and just want an item gone. Not everyone tries to milk that last cent from an item to get every pennies worth so its fairly subjective as to how you perceive all of this.

Certain things will sit foreeeeeever at a realistic, or " fair" price. I've bought cheap and sold cheap. I've paid full price for things I really wanted, but I have almost never realized a " full price sale". When it's time to let something go , hot prices get it gone.
This is my hobby, not a business.

I agree with the sentiment, but this looks like a quick sale done right.

So then?

How many of us have purchased a used firearm and later found that it wouldn't shoot worth a dammm?

Yeah.....Carry on.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
True confessions

I am one of the offending miscreants who made a post on that sale. When I did, (several had already posted) the rifle in question I believe was already sold (about 10 minutes after it was posted). I assume this because as we all know the prices on many items here and elsewhere are artificially high. (Thanks in no small part due to the panic being created by shiester politicians).

So the OP here feels that offering to buy an item at posted price is somehow "immoral" compared to the site's standards and his values...so be it.

Let me point out that fousting your sense of morality on others here is below contempt. The seller was attempting to sell a firearm. That means he/she, whatever, is assumed to be a responsible adult by doing so, and therefore needs no unsolicited value opinions from others. If he was unsure of the value of the item, he could have asked for oppinions by posting on the rifle forum.
Since the OP has expressed his disapproval of certain members here....I invite him to make me the first when he pushes that ignore button. It will be painful for me, but I think I will survive.

Last Edited:
We see a lot of people join just to sell something. So whatever the price was, it was more than they would get at a government buy back

Due to forum rules we are restricted to say/question a price that is too high.

But we're expected to advise when a price to "too low"………

Can't have it both ways.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

No you dumbass, charge me more. Yeah right. :s0140:

Bottom line, if one is too damn lazy to do a little research on what they are selling (not just firearms) that is 100% on them, but feel free to put me on your ignore list and rest assured you're not the only one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top