JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uh oh, turns out the viewport window is only rated to 1300 meters, or about 1/3 the depth of the titanic. Can you say Woops! This owner kind of sounds like a charlatan maybe. Guy that worked for him tried to say it's unsafe and got fired over it.

9F8C36FE-48D8-43E6-A3E6-E1289499FAC4.jpeg

From the article:

A submarine expert who worked for Oceangate – the company that operates the missing submersible – warned of potential safety problems in 2018, according to US court documents.

David Lochridge moved from Scotland to Washington state to work for the firm. In a BBC interview in 2017 he enthused about the mission and said it was "destined for the sea".

But less than a year later he warned his bosses that flaws in the Titan's carbon hull might go undetected without more stringent testing, and urged the company to have an outside agency certify the vessel.

He said his verbal warnings were ignored until he wrote a report and was called into a meeting with several officials - including OceanGate chief executive Stockton Rush, who is aboard the missing submersable.

Oceangate responded by firing Lochridge. The company sued him for revealing confidential information, and the submarine expert countersued for unfair dismissal. The lawsuit was later settled. Through his lawyer, Lochridge declined to comment today.

Court documents also state that Lochridge learned that the manufacturers of the Titan's forward viewport only certified it to a depth of 1,300 metres. The Titanic wreck lies 3,800 metres below the ocean surface.

That submarine company is based in Everett, WA. IMO there will be nothing left of that company after these billionaires learn he knew window was only approved for a depth 1/3 of what they were diving. No wonder he didn't want the sub to be tested by any third parties. Not good.

IMO there will be nothing left of that company after these billionaires learn he knew window was only approved for a depth 1/3 of what they were diving.

This is assuming the billionaires will be around after the fact - which they most likely will not be.

I was thinking of the families.
They likely signed their life away prior to the dive, similar to waivers when you go skiing or sky diving. Even if the family decides to sue, the company is a corporation, and it's one asset is the sub. The sub is gone, so there's really nothing to sue.

They likely signed their life away prior to the dive, similar to waivers when you go skiing or sky diving. Even if the family decides to sue, the company is a corporation, and it's one asset is the sub. The sub is gone, so there's really nothing to sue.
IMO in this case it appears he misled everyone, saying it's safe, developed with help of NASA etc. His own employee warned of the safety problems, the submersible standards body urged him to have third party testing and there could be catastrophic results, and the glass is rated for 1300 meters, not 3800.

Here's the standards board letter:

IMO in this case it appears he misled everyone, saying it's safe, developed with help of NASA etc. His own employee warned of the safety problems, the submersible standards body urged him to have third party testing and there could be catastrophic results, and the glass is rated for 1300 meters, not 3800.

Here's the standards board letter:

I'm not sure that anybody bought in that it was safe. It's a bunch of ultra rich dudes that wanted an experience that only money can buy.

Apparently the navy is picking up banging on the hull in 30 minute intervals. So they must be stuck on the bottom somewhere. Supposed to be about 30 hours of air left. Not sure what they can do if they find them. French ship with a robot sub is supposed to be arriving tomorrow.

Apparently the navy is picking up banging on the hull in 30 minute intervals.
Initially this was reported by the Canadian Coast Guard being heard from a plane via Sonobuoys and first revealed by CNN and Rolling Stone Magazine from a Email supposedly sent to the Dept of Homeland Security.

Sounded pretty sketchy when first mentioned yesterday and I suspect the US did not initially comment on it possibly due to not being sure exactly what the sounds were, and maybe not wanting to get hopes up too high but maybe there is some validity to it.

Last Edited:
Apparently the navy is picking up banging on the hull in 30 minute intervals. So they must be stuck on the bottom somewhere.
This was my first thought. A Navy vessel from somewhere knows. Ours, or NATO. Those subs have better hearing than whales. However the methods are secret and they are extra careful about revealing their capabilities to our adversaries.

Also, this is the greatest thread drift in recent memory.

This was my first thought. A Navy vessel from somewhere knows. Ours, or NATO. Those subs have better hearing than whales. However the methods are secret and they are extra careful about revealing their capabilities to our adversaries.

Word on the street is some new guy is planning a tourist dive to visit the titanic wreck plus titan sub wreck for $500,000 a head.

(J/k)

I think you are right about navy. We know navy is there and listening (according to coast guard). But coast guard is saying the navy is trying to figure out what the sound is coming from (ie a cover). It's been reported in several places that the banging is every thirty minutes and the navy diver on board the sub knows the protocol which is bang like crazy for 3 minutes every 30 minutes (according to expert I read anyway).

Uh oh, turns out the viewport window is only rated to 1300 meters, or about 1/3 the depth of the titanic. Can you say Woops! This owner kind of sounds like a charlatan maybe. Guy that worked for him tried to say it's unsafe and got fired over it.

View attachment 1440778

From the article:

A submarine expert who worked for Oceangate – the company that operates the missing submersible – warned of potential safety problems in 2018, according to US court documents.

David Lochridge moved from Scotland to Washington state to work for the firm. In a BBC interview in 2017 he enthused about the mission and said it was "destined for the sea".

But less than a year later he warned his bosses that flaws in the Titan's carbon hull might go undetected without more stringent testing, and urged the company to have an outside agency certify the vessel.

He said his verbal warnings were ignored until he wrote a report and was called into a meeting with several officials - including OceanGate chief executive Stockton Rush, who is aboard the missing submersable.

Oceangate responded by firing Lochridge. The company sued him for revealing confidential information, and the submarine expert countersued for unfair dismissal. The lawsuit was later settled. Through his lawyer, Lochridge declined to comment today.

Court documents also state that Lochridge learned that the manufacturers of the Titan's forward viewport only certified it to a depth of 1,300 metres. The Titanic wreck lies 3,800 metres below the ocean surface.

Listened to a navy vet talking about this yesterday…short of it is: people likely dead.

Guess we'll see.

Listened to a navy vet talking about this yesterday…short of it is: people likely dead.

Guess we'll see.

Heard one interview with guy that went to titanic in Russian sub. He said an underwater current slammed them into the titanic propeller. Stuck for 2 hours they all thought they were going to die. Pilot eventually got it freed in that case. If they are on bottom seems to me only hope is robot to jar them free (if stuck). supposedly has a time activated auto surface mechanism that auto deploys if passengers unconscious so makes me think stuck, imploded, or maybe zero power.

Only 10 hours of air left. But that one guy is 77 and super experienced diver and sub operator. I bet he had them breathing slow and shallow since the start. It wouldn't surprise me if they extend the expected o2 time by 35% or more (WAG). That's if they are able to though. If they lost power and life support is all controlled by the computer for example there may not much they can do to alter the flow of O2. If they are alive that would be absolute hell being in there.

Interesting story of sub lost on Bottom but recovered with survivors here. They regulated their breathing and flow of O2 to survive.

Last Edited:
It's only money.
I bet the people on that submarine.
To view the Titanic.
Have 4 or 5 of those ARs .
Hell they spent 250 grand to go see a skunk ship.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top