JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thing with Space X. Isn't what Elon Musk is doing now what NASA has already done years ago? I mean, how many times do we have to learn how to fire rockets?

Isn't firing rockets into space World War Two technology? Musk likes to talk about sending rockets to Mars. Okay, it takes something like six months for a rocket to get from Earth to Mars. And, because of the need to time the launch when Earth and Mars are closest to one another, there is a limit to the ideal window for launch. So, Musk may be building "the biggest rocket ever," it's still a rocket and limited by physics as to what it can do.

Somewhere along the line, NASA lost it's way in space exploration. They got bound up in space shuttles flying to useless orbital space stations. Then there is the politics of the issue. The public in general may have lost interest in space exploration, once the thrill of the moon landing faded away. The public, and therefore politicians, may have lost the will to spend the large amounts of money that are involved. I think the current doctrine of the government is to have private enterprise make the next moves.

Which leads me to wonder, is Musk's real motivation in space travel just a means of milking contract money out of the government? He has some big contracts connected to Space X. Musk poses as "the idea guy" who overcomes barriers to innovation. So why is he pursuing WW2 technology at Space X? Shouldn't he be working on new tech beyond rocketry that will get vehicles to Mars in less than six months? Maybe he should watch Star Trek for new propulsion technology ideas. If he sticks with rockets, he will forever have the problem of low payload, long time in flight, and too expensive for sustained, regular flight.

Another thing about Musk. He seems to be apt to dismiss things as extraneous that he doesn't want to pay for. For example, a PR dept. at Tesla. Space exploration is more than firing rockets. There is a huge area of concern, study and research involved with the human factor in space exploration. Why do I get the notion that this is an area that Musk won't spend money on? Yes, granted that NASA has studied this extensively. But I'm sure there is more that needs doing before we start strapping people into a rocket for six months. Bone embrittlement is one thing that comes to mind.

The thing with Space X. Isn't what Elon Musk is doing now what NASA has already done years ago? I mean, how many times do we have to learn how to fire rockets?

Isn't firing rockets into space World War Two technology? Musk likes to talk about sending rockets to Mars. Okay, it takes something like six months for a rocket to get from Earth to Mars. And, because of the need to time the launch when Earth and Mars are closest to one another, there is a limit to the ideal window for launch. So, Musk may be building "the biggest rocket ever," it's still a rocket and limited by physics as to what it can do.

Somewhere along the line, NASA lost it's way in space exploration. They got bound up in space shuttles flying to useless orbital space stations. Then there is the politics of the issue. The public in general may have lost interest in space exploration, once the thrill of the moon landing faded away. The public, and therefore politicians, may have lost the will to spend the large amounts of money that are involved. I think the current doctrine of the government is to have private enterprise make the next moves.

Which leads me to wonder, is Musk's real motivation in space travel just a means of milking contract money out of the government? He has some big contracts connected to Space X. Musk poses as "the idea guy" who overcomes barriers to innovation. So why is he pursuing WW2 technology at Space X? Shouldn't he be working on new tech beyond rocketry that will get vehicles to Mars in less than six months? Maybe he should watch Star Trek for new propulsion technology ideas. If he sticks with rockets, he will forever have the problem of low payload, long time in flight, and too expensive for sustained, regular flight.

Another thing about Musk. He seems to be apt to dismiss things as extraneous that he doesn't want to pay for. For example, a PR dept. at Tesla. Space exploration is more than firing rockets. There is a huge area of concern, study and research involved with the human factor in space exploration. Why do I get the notion that this is an area that Musk won't spend money on? Yes, granted that NASA has studied this extensively. But I'm sure there is more that needs doing before we start strapping people into a rocket for six months. Bone embrittlement is one thing that comes to mind.
Did NASA do this in the past?

I believe SpaceX is focused more on lowering cost of delivering products to space. Government run programs are rarely efficient.

The thing about NASA is that their project expenses stimulate the U.S. economy and produce invaluable technologies applicable to far more than space travel.

The other fella just wants to charge billionaires for a 67 mile journey into the thermosphere and back down. That's only 14,527,999,933 miles less than Voyager 1, not too shabby!

Things need to happen incrementally. Initially improvements come in big leaps but when you're nearing the top The improvements come in little tiny slivers. We might be nearing the end of what is possible with our current metallurgy and energy sources. Things are so far away in space and our lives are so short in comparison I don't see rockets and propulsion progressing enough to get us out of our solar system anyway. it would be something where they actually figured out time and space and are able to bend it to bring things closer sometime way way in the future

Things need to happen incrementally. Initially improvements come in big leaps but when you're nearing the top The improvements come in little tiny slivers. We might be nearing the end of what is possible with our current metallurgy and energy sources. Things are so far away in space and our lives are so short in comparison I don't see rockets and propulsion progressing enough to get us out of our solar system anyway. it would be something where they actually figured out time and space and are able to bend it to bring things closer sometime way way in the future
Voyager 1 and 2 have both left our solar system, but perhaps you were referring to manned trips.

So far, rockets have been the only affordable way to get things into orbit without turning humans into jelly...

Rocket propulsion, not just ICBM type of ballistic rocketry.

Ever since the late 1970s, NASA and aerospace companies have been trying to come up with Single Stage to Orbit spacecraft (Spaceplane projects) and every one of them have had contracts canceled or didn't get off the drawing board,for whatever reasons... usually starting in Congress :rolleyes:

There so far is no such thing as a single-stage to orbit aircraft as far as I know. Every spacecraft that has gone up, or even broached the 62+ mile altitude.. have been lifted up by either a carrier aircraft, or a couple+ stages of powerful rockets.

What SpaceX is doing, is bringing costs of orbital insertions down, and developing the technology to get things up there, to keep humans safe, and prevent them from becoming jelly or ashes.

What NASA is doing.. is bringing in research money, using bureaucracy, investing in technology, losing contracts, and rely on Apollo level of designs writ large for Mars missions, because Apollo is proven therefore no need to improve other than materials and costs.

The thing about NASA is that their project expenses stimulate the U.S. economy and produce invaluable technologies applicable to far more than space travel.

The other fella just wants to charge billionaires for a 67 mile journey into the thermosphere and back down. That's only 14,527,999,933 miles less than Voyager 1, not too shabby!
There is NOTHING that private initiative and industry cannot do better and cheaper than the government! The stimulation of the US economy and advances in technology have always been better in the private sector. I might mention Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Alexander Graham Bell, Tesla, and the folks that made Snicker Bars & M&Ms. And don't forget the Kentucky rifle, Colt Pistols. Marlin Firearms, Savage, etc......

There is NOTHING that private initiative and industry cannot do better and cheaper than the government! The stimulation of the US economy and advances in technology have always been better in the private sector. I might mention Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Alexander Graham Bell, Tesla, and the folks that made Snicker Bars & M&Ms. And don't forget the Kentucky rifle, Colt Pistols. Marlin Firearms, Savage, etc......
NASA is in the game of research and discovery. SpaceX is for profit and profit only with a very narrow vision in the grand scheme of space exploration.

Apples and oranges, really.

X is building up the technology to travel, and come back, to other planets. Government gave up on space travel so it's good to see private enterprise working on space travel.

I just can not comprehend something with no end.
1700626259878.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top