JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same with the new Rifle Dynamics rifles after the Jim Fuller departure. I see parts kits built by their shop selling for almost $5,000.

Like my grandfather used to say, "A fool and his money soon part."
man, I love the Quick Hatch they now offer but at over $3k I'm thinking its a pipe dream. Hell, even some Arsenals are approaching this price point!

I have a buddy in the cerakote business with connections who's a total gun snob. I have shot his sr25 That is some special Kak low production no production pieces from knights with ridiculously expensive optics with ridiculously expensive optics on top of that and although it was one of the nicest shooting guns I've ever shot I wouldn't trade half to 2/3 of my collection for what he claimed the value was.

man, I love the Quick Hatch they now offer but at over $3k I'm thinking its a pipe dream. Hell, even some Arsenals are approaching this price point!
I have a Arsenal SAM7 that I purchased from a member here for a good price and then shipped it off to RD for their Arsenal package. This was back when Fuller still owned the shop and Casey was working customer service. They did the work for a relatively good price and my whole experience was very positive. I think I had a wait time off about 3 months. Now the prices are astronomical and the wait times are like a year, plus their parts kits are stupid pricey.

I agree with you on the Quich Hatch, I'd love to have one.

I will say… after working at Radian and shooting/handling higher end rifles there is definitely a difference in quality, materials, cosmetics, and the smoothness in function/cycle/etc.

Not to say you can't build a AR at home with QUALITY components that will keep up with a higher end AR. But out of the box your S&W, aero, bushmaster, DMPS, etc. don't compare. Sure they all go bang. The higher end guns do have a cult following, higher instagram likes, and a few more cool guy "operator" points. I personally would rather build my own. But if you got the cash… have at it.

If you have never shot one, you wouldn't understand. They defiantly are not worth $4,500, but they are the top of the line. Fit, finish, tolerances, coatings, upgrades, etc., they just work, over and over again. Yes, I know your PSA works too, but it is different. At the sub 3k price they can be found at (when in stock), they are worth it. Have you seen the prices on a DD lately?

If I were given $4500 and told to build a rifle from available parts warehouses (palmetto, midway, Brownells, primary arms etc) and I MUST spend all of it, I'm not sure I could. Even buying the most expensive stuff I'm not sure it's possible. Unless of course you "cheat" and put a $4k optic on it. If it's not possible to build a custom gun for that, I'm not sure it's reasonable to buy a factory gun for that much. Not my money, though. People willing to drop that much coin can probably just grab the edge of the toilet real hard and push more dollars out any given Tuesday

If you have never shot one, you wouldn't understand. They defiantly are not worth $4,500, but they are the top of the line. Fit, finish, tolerances, coatings, upgrades, etc., they just work, over and over again. Yes, I know your PSA works too, but it is different. At the sub 3k price they can be found at (when in stock), they are worth it. Have you seen the prices on a DD lately?
Daniel Defense DDM4V7 is $1503 at gun zone deals fwiw.

it beats a $250,000 ride to the titanic and the sub you are in suddenly goes missing.
Reading a little about this and one part is somewhat disturbing:

CBS News "Sunday Mornings" correspondent David Pogue joined the crew of the vessel, along with a small group of intrepid tourists, for a journey to see the world's most famous shipwreck last year.
As he got situated in the vessel, which he said had about as much room inside as a minivan, Pogue said he "couldn't help noticing how many pieces of this sub seemed improvised, with off-the-shelf components," including a video game controller that was used to pilot the sub.

I'd like to think this thing has more sophisticated components than what this guy saw.

Daniel Defense DDM4V7 is $1503 at gun zone deals fwiw.
Going off MSRP (because sale prices are all over the map) The DD4 RIII, which is "comparable" to the KAC SR15 E3 Mod2, is $2324 vs $2765. For an extra $440 you get flip up sights (some of the best on the market), 2 stage trigger, and a MUCH improved bolt design. Oh and a nice MD.

So just like any firearm there are top tier models. Why spend extra on an older colt anaconda over a newer? Why spend the extra on a Ga precision, Gunwerks, Surgeon or etc over a rem 700 with a custom trigger and stock? Why a bennelli super black over a stevens S1200? They do the same more or less. For some though it's the collectors stand point, others the fact that they want the best or what they think is the best. You don't see a lot of guys who own one talking bad about them and trading them for 3 or more medium tier AR's.. To me KAC is worth every penny. The listed price is high and everyone has said that. Supply and demand.

Nevertheless, if I buy what I believe to be the best upper on the market, I will go the SR15 route all day long. I personally prefer the LMT Mars lower. However, I wouldn't trade a KAC for one. As far as guys decking them out with higher end optics and peq's / mawls yep guilty.

There is a purpose for it and even if not what's it matter to you? Think of it this way if you archery hunt, hell hunt in general, or shoot competition. There are a lot of variables that go in to that already. You want to make sure that the doubt of your equipment failing isn't what's on your mind . When you take whatever shot the equipment failure isn't or shouldn't be there. If your good with that bear bow and it works for you awesome. If you want the Mathew's or Hoyt to have that piece of mind it may be what keeps you from the miss. If the bear bow is all you can afford then save or make sacrifices to get that Hoyt if it's what you want. Same goes for KAC. At some point you do start reaching that point of no return in an investment . For people to assume everyone who has a KAC or spends that sort of cash must just throw money around is funny to me. My Mod 1 and 2 / you know my flex on the poor because I'm loaded.

6C7A33F2-0F4E-4022-B47B-FBFD0732E305.jpeg

Last Edited:
Like many things, there's a market for everything. There is however, what seems to be a trend of things getting over priced and/or full on gouging on all sorts of things from cars, guns, homes, you name it.
It's quite annoying and sad that for many of us common working folk, we scrimp and save for something and it's now un attainable because of pricing on said items.

People with disposable income buy Lambos and mansions. I'm sure there is a market for this.
Exactly what I was going to say.

In some ways the firearms market isn't any different than other markets.

Some women will pay $3,000+ for a purse. Some guys will pay $10,000+ for a watch. Are those items objectively that much better than similar items that can be purchased for far less money? In most cases, no.

So why do people buy them anyway? Because they can. And even more important, they often want you to know they can.

Exactly what I was going to say.

In some ways the firearms market isn't any different than other markets.

Some women will pay $3,000+ for a purse. Some guys will pay $10,000+ for a watch. Are those items objectively that much better than similar items that can be purchased for far less money? In most cases, no.

So why do people buy them anyway? Because they can. And even more important, they often want you to know they can.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a watch and thought "man that guy is so cool I wanna be just like him" or a car or any other material bologna. I'm so happy they want me to know they can buy a watch that means nothing to me.

What's that saying? Buying stuff you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like?

Some people have to have "the best". There was a guy that used to walk the firing line at ARPC snickering at everyone's toys. Walking around like peacock. All his gear was expensive. For all that posturing he was only marginally better than the average guy plinking on a fraction of the budget.

I understand if you are building a Mk.12 clone or a thousand yard rifle. Nice stuff helps in those instances. For shooting an empty milk jug at the quarry they are all about the same. I guess to answer the question of whether something is worth it, I would ask if you are capable of squeezing the performance out of it. If you are not, then it is not worth it.

Last Edited:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a watch and thought "man that guy is so cool I wanna be just like him" or a car or any other material bologna. I'm so happy they want me to know they can buy a watch that means nothing to me.

What's that saying? Buying stuff you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like?
"Flex" on the poors. Like we give a sh!t. Haha. Just cause you have a safe full of KAC, DD, Staccato, etc doesn't make me want to get on my knees and open my throat for you anymore than the guy who owns a single Glock.

Here's a little secret - the MAJORITY of guys who own the super expensive sh!t. Whether it be cars, guns, watches, boats, etc. rarely ever use their stuff. Fear of rain/scratches/abuse/etc. it's for taking photos and getting attention. Other than that they sit in a safe or garage to show off when people come over. Ask them to put actions to words and they fall flat.

I used to get all wrapped up in roll marks/brands/ etc. now I could care less. If it runs that's all I care about.

Flame suit on.

Capitalism is great. Buy what you want. It keeps companies in business.

They must have found the "Heart of the Ocean" and took off.
Sounds like there is a UK billionaire on board. That will get their attention. Only 70 hours of air left apparently.

Better call Jacques Cousteau and flippin Aquaman!

Last Edited:
Run whatever makes you happy or can afford. I think you would be hard pressed to find a guy selling a KAC in order to get two or three mid AR's. I'm not a fan of DD as I believe they are over gassed. MAJORITY of guys who are quick to say an item is sh!t haven't ran them. They are fine with whatever they run because it works for them.

Back to the OP: Is it worth what they are asking? (Yes to few, no to most.) How many KAC rifles have you seen in the classifieds within the last year or so? When guys get them they hold on to them. IMPO the KAC is the best upper on the market. I haven't ran the sand cutter bolt but everything else I have.

Nevertheless, I prefer the LMT Mars lower and this is the perfect fit for me. It's hard to put a price on a piece of mind for some and believing in your equipment is one less variable as stated above.

When you replace your battery on your car you may go with a lower end. It works, it does what you want. I'll spend the extra if I'm able to on the optima. I also put high oct in my motorcycle lol. Guess I'm just throwing money away to some.

However, I saved, waited, and I'm pretty frugal, I also sold quite a few other firearms to get them. I'm doing the same thing now with going in to night vision. Four nice AR's I'll go down to two, save, let two go when the market is hot and now I'm in to the night game. If it's what you want get it and everyone else can tell you how you messed up and to spend your money on others. I'm a quality over quantity and beleive that's what KAC offers.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top