JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's only money.
This is the part I don't quite understand.

There must be a 'psychological' issue with mega wealthy people who call themselves 'adventurers' and feel the need to spend huge amounts and take huge risks to see something benign as the Titanic.

Heck, personally If were this wealthy I would certainly consider 'adventures' but they would be more along the line of visiting places of historical significance - and on dry ground - and much less expensive.

I am looking into a possible trip to the Island of Kirabati in the South Pacific this winter as it was an area of fairly large WW2 activity and artifacts, vehicles etc. and are still lying around.

There must be a 'psychological' issue with mega wealthy people who call themselves 'adventurers' and feel the need to spend huge amounts and take huge risks to see something benign as the Titanic.

Heck, personally If were this wealthy I would certainly consider 'adventures' but they would be more along the line of visiting places of historical significance - and on dry ground - and much less expensive.

I am looking into a possible trip to the Island of Kirabati in the South Pacific this winter as it was an area of fairly large WW2 activity and artifacts, vehicles etc. and are still lying around.
Us mere mortals won't be able to fully comprehend it. But if you have so much money, why would you do something that the poor's could do? It's the adventure, but also the "bravely go where no man has gone".

There are some eccentric wealthy people. Howard Hughes comes to mind, among others. Some of these people are on the spectrum, like Elon Musk. They are unconventional from the ground up.

Those are exceptions. Most wealthy people I've met just like to work and have no imagination. They're trying hard to enjoy golf but they'd really rather be working. Opposite of most people who clock watch all day.

I think for the Brits it may be different. They have this long line of gentleman explorers exploring the poles, Africa, Amazon, etc etc. it's sort of the rich pioneer "man over nature" thing for some of them. The best modern example of it is top gear/the grand tour.

No joke. I got the opportunity to hike to the top of Mt Suribachi on Iwo Jima when I was stationed in Japan. I'd much rather go see that again than some sunken ship that comes with a high probability of death…..

Saw good interview with guy who put down a deposit to go but backed out. He said company always failed to meet their milestones and took them years to get to 300 meters. Said using construction pipes for ballast, game controller etc concerned him but he said once they were on the path to continuing without any certification that's when he backed out. He was not aware at the time of the employee lawsuit or the safety concerns raised.

Another interview I saw said ceo didn't want to do certifications because they were expensive and company was bleeding $ at the time.

News conference said imploded in water column likely at time of lost contact. Found both ends of sub and other debris 1600 ft from titanic. Guess the employee who spoke up and got fired for it was correct.

Easy, No economies of scale. Smaller companies don't have high production capacity or resources so they can only make so many then they have to use the magic of marketing to look superior to you and command the price. A company for example like Springfield is much larger mass producing and using economies of scale to be able price it lower. Same with Palmetto state. Now quality is a factor sprinkled in there but for the most part its economies scale.

Easy, No economies of scale. Smaller companies don't have high production capacity or resources so they can only make so many then they have to use the magic of marketing to look superior to you and command the price. A company for example like Springfield is much larger mass producing and using economies of scale to be able price it lower. Same with Palmetto state. Now quality is a factor sprinkled in there but for the most part its economies scale.
Except... Knight's Armament Company is considered "medium size" manufacturer with 350 employees and 45 million/year revenue. The majority of which are govt contracts (rail interface systems and SR-25 /M110 SASS rifles among others) :rolleyes:

Springfield Armory has 129 employees and an annual revenue of 222 million.

Except... Knight's Armament Company is considered "medium size" manufacturer with 350 employees and 45 million/year revenue. The majority of which are govt contracts (rail interface systems and SR-25 /M110 SASS rifles among others) :rolleyes:

Springfield Armory has 129 employees and an annual revenue of 222 million.
I'd say that's a pretty good example of quantities of scale. I suspect that Springfield has more automation and overseas manufacturing as opposed to American workers.

Also don't forget the status symbol marketing ... sometimes people perceive and justify they have a superior product because they paid more for it. It works, its good marketing. That is not to say KA isn't quality, of course it is..... however, they can charge that price because status symbol. Meh, not getting my money. I'm a Daniel Defense guy for my big spend and perfectly happy with mid tier priced stuff.

"Flex" on the poors. Like we give a sh!t. Haha. Just cause you have a safe full of KAC, DD, Staccato, etc doesn't make me want to get on my knees and open my throat for you anymore than the guy who owns a single Glock.

Here's a little secret - the MAJORITY of guys who own the super expensive sh!t. Whether it be cars, guns, watches, boats, etc. rarely ever use their stuff. Fear of rain/scratches/abuse/etc. it's for taking photos and getting attention. Other than that they sit in a safe or garage to show off when people come over. Ask them to put actions to words and they fall flat.

I used to get all wrapped up in roll marks/brands/ etc. now I could care less. If it runs that's all I care about.

Flame suit on.

Capitalism is great. Buy what you want. It keeps companies in business.
You give enough of a bubblegum to type a 805 characters response about it to puff up your chest with a little "you think I care, bro?". Yeah. I think you do just a little bit lmao. And cost has zero correlation to use. Roll though the classifieds here or gunbroker and look at all the cheap guns with low roundcounts and little evidence of being used. If there was a way to accurately survey gunowners I think you'd find that the vast majority of them seldom actually go out and shoot. Forums are an echo chambers. We are all here because we are reasonably like minded and care to read the thoughts of others. If you didn't you wouldn't bother reading this thread. Simple as.

You give enough of a bubblegum to type a 805 characters response about it to puff up your chest with a little "you think I care, bro?". Yeah. I think you do just a little bit lmao. And cost has zero correlation to use. Roll though the classifieds here or gunbroker and look at all the cheap guns with low roundcounts and little evidence of being used. If there was a way to accurately survey gunowners I think you'd find that the vast majority of them seldom actually go out and shoot. Forums are an echo chambers. We are all here because we are reasonably like minded and care to read the thoughts of others. If you didn't you wouldn't bother reading this thread. Simple as.
Thanks for counting.

IMG_2776.jpeg

I'm not sure if you're responding to me or know how to respond on here but if its at me, I'm honestly unsure what the hell you're talking about. OP asked a question and HEY THERE WELCOME TO SOCIAL MEDIA where we share opinions and someone asked .........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top