JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up a pair of snowboarding pants at an estate sale and they are the most comfortable to wear, easiest to put on, super quiet and very water proof.
I use them for pressure washing jobs and I've never felt dryer, no matter how hard I'm working.
They were made by Columbia Sportswear. I tried on the bottoms at the sale and when I went to try on the matching top, some guy had reached over the rack and walked off with it.

Last Edited:
I really appreciate the input from everyone. I think (if I can get the wife on board) I'll just go with 2 jackets.
If I had the money to burn, I'd go with some fancy camo patterns, but having 2 kids on (currently) one income, that's a laughable thing to think about (ask my 3 ar "builds" sitting in the safe)

I mainly want something quiet that will keep me dry and safe. I've got a sportsmans near by and enjoy dragging the wife to cabelas (like a form of torture I suppose)

You can get by with a work coat if you need to. I have gone on many after work hunts in Carhartts and steel toes. Don't worry how your clothes smell. Deer dont care if you smell like grease and sweat or if you just hopped out of the shower with clothes that have been outside to air out and use "scent blockers". You will ALWAYS smell like a human to them, regardless of how you think you smell. If they smell you, it's game over. Pay attention to the wind and always keep the wind in you face.

Wearing orange is dufus.... says the guy who JUST ADMITTED to wearing a fanny pack! o_O:rolleyes:
:s0140:

No, I wear orange... I said an "Orange VEST". :rolleyes:

:oops::oops::oops: I'd wear a daypack, but those straps look like horns to a number of dufus hunters! :rolleyes:

I also have a tactical web harness with the water bag thingy.... Looks kinda mall ninga to me!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So who goes out in the woods w/o out any way to carry extra gear? I got jungle money, candles, firestarter, light sticks for marking trail to get back to the downed animal in the dark, headlamp, firestarter, wire saw, waterproof matches, mini=maglite, water, small rope hoist, non-latex surgical gloves, plastic bag for heart/liver, etc... but most importantly... Tommyknocker!!! :D

I've never had issues with smell and hunting. Then again I'm not really a smelly guy. If you stink as is, yes, worry about it. If you don't carry a tremendous odor naturally, don't worry about it. Health is a big factor to smell, the more unhealthy you are the more you tend to smell. Camo is also very over rated in my opinion. Depending on what you are hunting and where, sometimes it is best to be more visible to other hunters vs invisible to that of which you are hunting.
You can get by with a work coat if you need to. I have gone on many after work hunts in Carhartts and steel toes. Don't worry how your clothes smell. Deer dont care if you smell like grease and sweat or if you just hopped out of the shower with clothes that have been outside to air out and use "scent blockers". You will ALWAYS smell like a human to them, regardless of how you think you smell. If they smell you, it's game over. Pay attention to the wind and always keep the wind in you face.

I stand in a campfire prior to the hunt. Often when big game hunting, especially in the morning, I build a small fire where I am sitting out in a good spot... I've had animals walk within 5' of me while I was holding very still. They don't see all that well and rely on scent a lot. Note: I had the biggest Idaho six point muley, Western count, I've ever seen scent me and take off before coming out of a gulley. We were eyeball to eyeball and he snorted and left!!!

Regarding pants, I bought military surplus wool pants from various mail order and locally too. They are extremely quiet and stay warm even when wet.

If I had the money to burn, I'd go with some fancy camo patterns, but having 2 kids on (currently) one income

From what I observe, newer hunters latch onto a lot of the gear talk, thinking that's what's necessary to hunt. I did too. There's nothing wrong with listening to the talk, as you can learn a lot, but keep some perspective. A lot is about process and technique. Don't let gear hurdles keep you from getting into the field, as being in the field will teach you a lot as well. For example, you might think you need to spend $200 on a full camo settup, but after spending a few days in the field you'll realize that that $200 is better spent on a good pair of waterproof boots with firm sole and good ankle support. You'll still keep the camo setup on your wish list and pick up things here and there, but don't put the gear must-haves before the experience. Build your gear piece by piece from the type of hunting you're doing, not the other way around. Don't be afraid to go our there with very little to start.

Very soon you'll have more gear than you know what to do with. I'm not sure that correlates to the animals you put into your freezer, but of course it's fun nonetheless.

Last (haha) question. Being in washington, I HAVE to wear blaze orange (which id wear some anyways)
BUT, if I should be wearing something to break up my outline, then proceed to put a solid orange vest (or similar) over the top....does that defeat the purpose of the jacket in the first place?

Last (haha) question. Being in washington, I HAVE to wear blaze orange (which id wear some anyways)
BUT, if I should be wearing something to break up my outline, then proceed to put a solid orange vest (or similar) over the top....does that defeat the purpose of the jacket in the first place?
yes, if the jacket is camo or otherwise breaks up your pattern. Large solids are what deer see easiest.

They make hunters orange camo vests though, to break up the pattern.

yes, if the jacket is camo or otherwise breaks up your pattern. Large solids are what deer see easiest.

They make hunters orange camo vests though, to break up the pattern.
I found a kryptec (hey, i do like to spend money) jacket that looks like it would do the trick, but putting a solid orange blob right over it kind of seems silly to me i guess. I suppose I'll have to look around the internet for an orange vest that isn't just solid orange....? lol

I found a kryptec (hey, i do like to spend money) jacket that looks like it would do the trick, but putting a solid orange blob right over it kind of seems silly to me i guess. I suppose I'll have to look around the internet for an orange vest that isn't just solid orange....? lol

Actually you don't have to spend a lot of money. You can get a cheap orange vest for under 10 bucks. A good one for around 20 and a camo one for under 50.

I got a friend into hunting once and he didn't want to spend a lot of money while trying out hunting. He got a cheap solid orange vest and used a black sharpie to draw and color in a camp pattern. Took him 5 minutes. Ugly AF but it works... I have this vest now and use it myself occasionally if hunting on drives.

Here are some online links, but I think BiMart has cheap orange vests.

on sale for $8.79

$24.99

$34.99

400 cubic inches i believe. Unless It's a santa hat, I doubt it will be that big.
is that for all hunting or just rifle? here in oregon, orange isnt required for anyone older than 17. its not smart or worth it to not wear orange during rifle season. when i archery hunt, no one wears orange.

No, I wear orange... I said an "Orange VEST". :rolleyes:

:oops::oops::oops: I'd wear a daypack, but those straps look like horns to a number of dufus hunters! :rolleyes:

I also have a tactical web harness with the water bag thingy.... Looks kinda mall ninga to me!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So who goes out in the woods w/o out any way to carry extra gear? I got jungle money, candles, firestarter, light sticks for marking trail to get back to the downed animal in the dark, headlamp, firestarter, wire saw, waterproof matches, mini=maglite, water, small rope hoist, non-latex surgical gloves, plastic bag for heart/liver, etc... but most importantly... Tommyknocker!!! :D

You lost this debate at, "fanny pack".... stop talking. :rolleyes:

;):s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews