JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At what age does one qualify for the Pioneer License?
According to the 2023 regulation booklet, Pioneer is 65 years old and 50 years residency. There is also a category for Senior and it is 70 years old and 5 years residency but I don't know if they get any special treatment on preference points.

My hunting buddy had a preference point the year after we drew our first-choice elk unit. My son and I didn't. Now I know why. He had a Pioneer license.

According to the 2023 regulation booklet, Pioneer is 65 years old and 50 years residency. There is also a category for Senior and it is 70 years old and 5 years residency but I don't know if they get any special treatment on preference points.

My hunting buddy had a preference point the year after we drew our first-choice elk unit. My son and I didn't. Now I know why. He had a Pioneer license.
I'm 60 with 60 years residency. I thought there was a residency requirement, too. Unfortunately my birthday is during October, and I won't be able to take advantage of it in '27.

I'm 60 with 60 years residency. I thought there was a residency requirement, too. Unfortunately my birthday is during October, and I won't be able to take advantage of it in '27.
61 & 61 for me. The way my luck runs, I anticipate they will discontinue the Pioneer program in 2026. :s0124:

You are eligible for a Pioneer license the year you turn 65, so even though you won't be 65 until October you can still purchase a Pioneer before the draw that year. I did this year and my B-day is in Aug.

Dad was still getting his free before he died nearly 7 years ago. What he thought was stupid was the fact that every year he had to get a new license.

Dad was still getting his free before he died nearly 7 years ago. What he thought was stupid was the fact that every year he had to get a new license.
I had one customer several years ago that had a permanent Pioneer. He had not hunted in years but his grandson wanted him to put in for draws that year. I'd never seen one before. As I remember it indicated there was no expiration date. Unfortunately he still had to pay the $6 and get a new one to apply for hunts.

I had one customer several years ago that had a permanent Pioneer. He had not hunted in years but his grandson wanted him to put in for draws that year. I'd never seen one before. As I remember it indicated there was no expiration date. Unfortunately he still had to pay the $6 and get a new one to apply for hunts.
When I was a young lad growing up in Douglas County in the early seventies, some of my older family members would talk about some crusty local characters that had "Calapooya licenses". They were free, good for life, and entitled the holder to multiple tags on every species. It took me a year or two to realize they were really talking about poachers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top