JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know someone that ODFW shows as having one point after filling his tag. Shouldn't he have zero points? This is not a data entry error as it happens every time he draws a tag.

The preference point system has always been somewhat confusing to me.
Looking forward to someone putting it all in layman's terms.

After a certain age Oregon always starts you off with one preference point. Younger people when they draw their first choice go to 0. Old people get to start with 1 point. I don't remember the age. 75????

After a certain age Oregon always starts you off with one preference point. Younger people when they draw their first choice go to 0. Old people get to start with 1 point. I don't remember the age. 75????
Well, then the guy I know is me and I just happen to be 75!

When I was in my teens and 20's. old guys were 60+. I'm 60 now, but feel far from old. The guy in the mirror? Not sure who that old fart is! Looks can be deceiving, I guess...

Read my comment above yours
No offense, but your comment didn't actually answer his question. (not referencing the age post :) )
I wouldn't mind clarification, if you can?
I know that you're supposed to receive one point for not getting the draw you applied for, but that's about all I know.
Is there a threshold for points guaranteeing a draw, or is that dependent on how many tags vs. how many applicants?

Also, do the points transfer between hunts, or stay on the hunt one applied for?

Theres only 2 ways...
He drew a second choice tag
He did not get any draw tags but filled a general season tag.

They dont give a point for age. Points are species specific.

Theres only 2 ways...
He drew a second choice tag
He did not get any draw tags but filled a general season tag.

They dont give a point for age. Points are species specific.
I agree with Koda.

One small (technical) correction. Points are series specific. There are seven controlled hunt series and preference points can be accumulated for five of them. Both series 100 (buck) and 600 (doe) are deer and you can accumulate points separately for each series.

100 ā€“ Buck deer
200 ā€“ Elk
400 ā€“ Antelope
500 ā€“ Bighorn sheep (no preference points awarded for sheep hunts)
600 ā€“ Antlerless deer
700 ā€“ Spring black bear
900 ā€“ Rocky Mountain goat (no preference points awarded for goat hunts)

Useful links

Agree with @BigGame but to go even "smaller technically", only deer are series specific. The rest are species specific.

@joken what tag did you fill last year?

Last Edited:
I just checked my preference points and have one point for Antelope. I killed an Antelope last season, in August 2022.

I just checked my preference points and have one point for Antelope. I killed an Antelope last season, in August 2022.
Im confused now on which tag you thought you used up your preference points but if you drew a controlled tag last year that was your first choice you shouldn't have any preference points this year.

Unless as @North Plains mentioned above then its true they issue a point for people over a certain age?

From ODFW website:

• Drawing a first choice hunt within a hunt series takes the successful hunter's point total back to zero whether or not they purchase the tag, except for those hunters with a Pioneer Angling/Hunting License (Pioneer licensees are reset to one preference point). Hunters who successfully draw second or lower hunt choices still receive a preference point for future drawings except in the case of a first hunt choice that is cancelled. See page 15. Their existing preference point total will also carry over. Hunters who indicate a Point Saver number, one ending in 99, will receive a preference point that will add to any existing points for that hunt series.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top