JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im looking into buying some waterproof (read goretex) outerwear for hunting coming up in november.

I also work outside a majority of the time.

My question is, would it be an ok idea to wear the same jacket for hunting and work. Or should I really try to keep my hunting stuff separate in a container due to smells and whatnot?

I'm not made of money, so buying 2 medium to high quality jackets is out of the question at the moment.

What do y'all think?

Im looking into buying some waterproof (read goretex) outerwear for hunting coming up in november.

My question is, would it be an ok idea to wear the same jacket for hunting and work. Or should I really try to keep my hunting stuff separate in a container due to smells and whatnot?

I'm not made of money, so buying 2 medium to high quality jackets is out of the question at the moment.

What do y'all think?

I'm no pro but I'd rather have one really good jacket then 2 ok ones.

You will most likely have a backpack and a orange vest on so most of the camo is covered if your doing modern firearm season.

The scent cover up should take care of any smells your worried about.

You will most likely have a backpack and a orange vest on so most of the camo is covered if your doing modern firearm season.

That seems reasonable. This will be my first attempt at hunting, and with the abundance of info out there, it's a lot to take in and know what I should listen to

I agree. Just don't buy black. Its the most unnatural color. Nothing is totally black. Scent covers are ok, but not a substitute for staying downwind. You might be scentless, but your rifle or binoculars, etc won't be.

If you use it for work, you will wear it out a lot faster, and you will also loose it's water repellentcy sooner, Depending on the quality! I would invest in the good stuff for Work, and use what ever is left over for good hunting! Depending on the type of work, Helly Hanson would be my first choice for work wear, but there are others that are also good! Columbia Sportswear Platinum are pretty damn good as well, and would serve you well!
For hunting, its a toss up on what you value, the best camo isn't worth anything as you need to wear hy-vis to keep from getting shot by stupid people trying to hunt, so I wouldn't bother with the latest and greatest camo or sent blocking and all that! A good rain jacket and a layer system is what I use and you can adjust as needed through out the hunt!

If you use it for work, you will wear it out a lot faster, and you will also loose it's water repellentcy sooner, Depending on the quality! I would invest in the good stuff for Work, and use what ever is left over for good hunting! Depending on the type of work, Helly Hanson would be my first choice for work wear, but there are others that are also good! Columbia Sportswear Platinum are pretty damn good as well, and would serve you well!
For hunting, its a toss up on what you value, the best camo isn't worth anything as you need to wear hy-vis to keep from getting shot by stupid people trying to hunt, so I wouldn't bother with the latest and greatest camo or sent blocking and all that! A good rain jacket and a layer system is what I use and you can adjust as needed through out the hunt!

To piggy back on this, You want rainwear that won't rip easy or won't puncture easily. At the same time, the heavier it is, the less versatile it will be. Layering makes you more adaptable to conditions.

My Sitka gortex hunting gear does not feel durable enough to wear everyday or for work. It is gortex and waterproof but it is not as quiet as non-gortex when I am in the woods. On the other hand if it is raining that is not usually a problem. I have an older Columbia waterproof jacket, not gortex, but something else, that keeps me pretty dry, not as good as gortex, but which is a lot tougher, so you could look at Columbia. Kryptek is supposed to be tough clothing but I don't have enough experience to know if they are tough enough for regular outside work.

I'm not too worried about the camo thing due to having to wear hi viz.
I figured I'd go for an olive for brownish tone.

Basically, I'm a supervisor at costco, but I push carts a lot. So besides staying dry, I just need something that will breathe a hair (which is why I'm thinking gore tex. I was thinking something more along the lines of a quieting shell vs. A heavy warm jacket.

That's your answer... get yourself a decent jacket for work that keeps you warm, then get one of the "quiet" rain shells to wear over it.

For duck hunting I wear a red down jacket with a Max-5 camo pattern rain shell over it and insulated Max-5 chest waders. If it gets too warm I can dump the red jacket and just wear the shell, if I need to "be seen" for any reason I can take off the shell and stand out like a hooker's red painted lips in church. I have been in outright monsoon rains on the Columbia River and stayed dry as a bone... which has nothing to do with a hooker's red painted lips.

Also, deer and elk are color blind, so you can wear bright plaid or "orange camo" to break up your outline and still be seen by the two-legged fools out there with rifles.

When I worked for Air Life of Oregon, I was outside with people a lot and had a Columbia goretex coat with the removable plush lining... I love that coat but the nylon outer coat is too noisy for the woods!!

When I was building houses, I wore Carhartt jackets or cheap knockoffs. I do NOT wear the brown/tan colors in the woods as they look just like an elk! And I'll wear an orange vest when hell freezes over... there are other options that aren't as dufus.

When I hunt deer/elk, I wear a variety of coats/jackets. I like a short waisted noisefree jacket when walking because I carry a lot on my belt and a fanny pack so I have easy access and nothing interferes. In warmer weather I've been known to wear an orange hoodie. I also have a long waisted noisefree warm coat for sitting and for keeping my backside warm and draft free (I'm getting a little long in the tooth). I have a soft noise free rain shell that is not expensive that I bought at BiMart. My hunting wear is my hunting wear, it gets put away between seasons and I don't spend megabucks on something exposed to sticks, sharp blades, chainsaws (campwood), elk blood, etc.

When I hunt Upland Birds, I wear a shotgun vest and an orange hat.

Aaaaand, I love Options!!!

Last Edited:
That's your answer... get yourself a decent jacket for work that keeps you warm, then get one of the "quiet" rain shells to wear over it.

For duck hunting I wear a red down jacket with a Max-5 camo pattern rain shell over it and insulated Max-5 chest waders. If it gets too warm I can dump the red jacket and just wear the shell, if I need to "be seen" for any reason I can take off the shell and stand out like a hooker's red painted lips in church. I have been in outright monsoon rains on the Columbia River and stayed dry as a bone... which has nothing to do with a hooker's red painted lips.

Also, deer and elk are color blind, so you can wear bright plaid or "orange camo" to break up your outline and still be seen by the two-legged fools out there with rifles.

Yea...I was just hoping to only buy one jacket, but that may not be possible reading everyone's replies. O well. I like spending money on stuff related to this website.

Depending on your size - the longer you wait the better the sales are for hunting wear.

I picked up a coat and pants at fisherman's for 75% off a few years ago which made it very reasonable. I think I got it the first week of October.

I've had good success with Filson tin cloth coats, they take a serious beating, then wax them twice a year and theyll remain waterproof. YMMV

For scent blockage on my hunting clothes , I just wash them with the "quick wash" setting and no soap....then hang dry.
I generally just wear a "earth tone" flannel and Carhartt type pants when hunting...adding orange when needed.

No Gore-Tex for me while hunting...I find it too noisy....I layer and wear wool.
Andy

I've never had issues with smell and hunting. Then again I'm not really a smelly guy. If you stink as is, yes, worry about it. If you don't carry a tremendous odor naturally, don't worry about it. Health is a big factor to smell, the more unhealthy you are the more you tend to smell. Camo is also very over rated in my opinion. Depending on what you are hunting and where, sometimes it is best to be more visible to other hunters vs invisible to that of which you are hunting.

When I worked for Air Life of Oregon, I was outside with people a lot and had a Columbia goretex coat with the removable plush lining... I love that coat but the nylon outer coat is too noisy for the woods!!

When I was building houses, I wore Carrhart jackets or cheap knockoffs. I do NOT wear the brown models in the woods as the color looks just like the rear end of an elk! And I'll wear an orange vest when hell freezes over... there are other options that aren't as dufus.

When I hunt deer/elk, I wear a variety of coats/jackets. I like a short waisted noisefree jacket when walking because I carry a lot on my belt and a fanny pack so I have easy access and nothing interferes. In warmer weather I've been known to wear an orange hoodie. I also have a long waisted noisefree warm coat for sitting and for keeping my backside warm and draft free (I'm getting a little long in the tooth). I have a soft noise free rain shell that is not expensive that I bought at BiMart. My hunting wear is my hunting wear, it gets put away between seasons and I don't spend megabucks on something exposed to sticks, sharp blades, chainsaws (campwood), elk blood, etc.

When I hunt Upland Birds, I wear a shotgun vest and an orange hat.

Aaaaand, I love Options!!!

Wearing orange is dufus.... says the guy who JUST ADMITTED to wearing a fanny pack! o_O:rolleyes:

:s0140:

Check out Gall's on SW Barbur Blvd. They sell police and EMT jackets that are waterproof and warm for $100 +\- for your everyday wear in winter. They have quality coats and good sales too

I figured I'd go for an olive for brownish tone.

Basically, I'm a supervisor at costco, but I push carts a lot. So besides staying dry, I just need something that will breathe a hair (which is why I'm thinking gore tex.

Your plan sounds fine.

Don't get too obsessed with camo. 90% is remaining still with something behind you to break up your outline.

What do y'all think?

goretex outerwear for hunting is a joke, its way too noisy, goretex is WAY over-rated for "breathability" and way more expensive than other membrane alternatives... (sorry Sitka fans...)
Check out a softshell jacket treated with DWR finish for breathability and water resistant in most conditions. If its raining harder than your sweating, then sure use a goretex jacket but your gonna sweat up a storm at that point everyone has to just tough it out. I usually reserve heavy rainy days for more still hunting stands.

I would buy a cheap rain jacket for work and layer under it for warmth if needed, then spend the money on a nice hunting jacket. Any hunting jacket should really be reserved for hunting only, you will wear it out quickly if used for work or other. While out hunting, you want your gear to work, especially clothing which would keep you alive in any emergency in the woods, especially overnight. Baby your hunting gear and it will last many years.

Ive had great luck with Killik brand rain pants for hunting, super quiet for a breathable membrane and with leg zips it breaths as much as I want. I haven't tried their jackets. For hunting I have a cheap camo softshell I bought off MidwayUSA.com house brand (about $50 bucks). Works great in most wet conditions, breaths 100% and sheds light mist, drizzle. After that I use a membrane hardshell as needed. You dont want to get wet out there.

Regarding camo, sure if you can get that but avoid solids in any color. Solids is what deer see, at the least get something to break up your profile, you dont need camo for that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top