JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Couple of things to point out here! Bears, and especially Grizzlies have the bet sense of smell of any animal on the planet, and they can smell death or struggling of other critters from Miles away! Bears have ZERO fear, and when they are in eating mode, nothing is going to stop them! Add in a pair of hungry cubs and this wasn't going to end well!
I have read that the hand gun was stashed in a pack with out a loaded chamber and it took time to find it and get it out, and once it was out, the hunter tossed it short and ran off! These two made a number of fatal mistakes, and while I am sad that a man lost his life, He should have known better, and being an experienced guide doesn't make you safe, it means your more likely to encounter a large and dangerous predator! I always say it, and will so again; When you step 1 foot in the wilds, YOU are NOT the Alfa Predator, you don't even make the top 10 list! If you carry a gun, make sure you have it within reach instantly, and you have a round chambered and YOU have a plan to use it! BEAR SPRAY isn't even close enough to rely on as a substitute for a gun, in fact, bear spray isn't even as strong as regular pepper spray, it's only advantage is capacity and range! Don't let the so called "experts" tell you other wise, Bear spray is a piss poor substitute for a gun!

Last Edited:
No, not really.
I would say that a nice starting point would be a .375 Ruger Guide Gun.
Same power as .375 H&H but in a handier package.
300 grains of fast moving, angry lead.

I don't archery hunt and if I was elk hunting in griz country I'd carry my 30-06AI, but would probably long for the Ruger 375 Hawkeye African I used to have. Anyone who says the 375 H&H, Ruger, or any other 375 this fast or faster can handle the job at hand, no matter where ya go, I believe is right! Cartridges in this class are capable of stopping charges with any animal.
When I used it I shot 260 or 270gr bullets for elk and that's what I would have used to cover my butt with a bear, because I believe it would have done the job. If I was hunting bear not elk, I would select a 300gr bullet.
I bought this one new and probably shouldn't have traded it away.
African.jpg

I'm 100% with ya on the .375! I have had mine since the age of 18 and wouldn't even thing of selling or trading it off! I have killed several coastal browns, and few grizz, and several Elk with it, and it continues to serve me well to this day! It's a 10 pound bruiser, and when danger is bad breath close, it's comforting to have in hand! I also will never part with my Marlin .45/70, arguably the best all around woods gun in predator country! Especially with the extended magazine! Now we need to have a sit down with ether @Velzey or Jon @NWCustomFirearms to have a brake and bayonet lug added and get ceracoating coating done to take the shine off of it! We also have that stalking rifle 1903 Springfield that needs finishing, will be a stunning woods rifle once it's up and running!:)

Well Old Hugh did survive....
For all who enjoyed that movie , I urge you to look up all you can of Hugh Glass ...and understand that most of that movie is Hollywood BS.....
Andy

Yeah, that scene is some Hollywood BS at its finest. Bears are fast, but not that fast.

Last Edited:
Don't care.... that bear attack scene is sheite your pants INTENSE!!
:s0095:

OK, I do care about fact from frak.... but I need to go "recompose" myself first. :D

Well I am glad you all enjoyed the movie...
To be honest there was way too much BS before the attack , for me to care about a bear....
I think i would have enjoyed the movie if it wasn't supposed to be about Glass and other real people , places and events....
Andy

Bears not that fast? Dude, I watched a Grizzly take down a Bull Moose at a dead run, and Moose ain't slow, especially with a 1200 pound set of teeth and claws after it's azz! I saw that same Grizzly swat a crow while laying down, crow never knew what hit him, just woke up in crow heaven wondering what happend!

Bears not that fast? Dude, I watched a Grizzly take down a Bull Moose at a dead run, and Moose ain't slow, especially with a 1200 pound set of teeth and claws after it's azz! I saw that same Grizzly swat a crow while laying down, crow never knew what hit him, just woke up in crow heaven wondering what happend!

He was thinking, "there I was flying around being all squawky and obnoxious, then the next thing I know I'm a bear turd laying on the side of a trail!"

Watch the opening scene again fellas. I'm not saying bears can't get to those speeds....but in that short distance no way.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top