JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with you on shot placement. But that can be hard to do against a charging bear especially when you weren't expecting him to charge or didn't see it coming. Now if you are hunting and have the drop on him and he doesn't see you then yes a lesser caliber with good shot placement would do the job. Just my .02 brother. ;)
That's also why I have at least a 10mm on my person as well as a Bowie knife! Believe me, when your butthole is puckered, you can run a Mauser action faster then any one would think possable! Same with a Pump shotgun or a Lever! And you can drop the long gun when things get real sporty and go to your side arm(s) and knife! My neighbor carries a M1 Carbine as his S.D. rifle and he carries a pair of .45s for side arms! When I say .45s, I'm talkin the big ones loaded to rifle specs! I always said he was nuts to carry a M1 Carbine, but that's his choice! He said I can pick it off his corpse after he is done with it! Lol:confused:

That's also why I have at least a 10mm on my person as well as a Bowie knife! Believe me, when your butthole is puckered, you can run a Mauser action faster then any one would think possable! Same with a Pump shotgun or a Lever! And you can drop the long gun when things get real sporty and go to your side arm(s) and knife! My neighbor carries a M1 Carbine as his S.D. rifle and he carries a pair of .45s for side arms! When I say .45s, I'm talkin the big ones loaded to rifle specs! I always said he was nuts to carry a M1 Carbine, but that's his choice! He said I can pick it off his corpse after he is done with it! Lol:confused:
I think he just wants to get 'im mad with that carbine and then drill 'im through an eye socket with the 10mm.
Bad mofo right there.

My uncle was a hunting guide .
In Montana . Nevada .and part of Wyoming.
Elk .deer .bear .you name it .
Had a bunch of pack horses .
And different camps all over the place.
And now back on the topic.
I REMEMBER HE ALWAYS HAD A SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 29 IN A SHOLDER HOLSTER .
when he was in the woods.44 mag

I would be more confident with a .44 Mag revolver, 45-70 lever action or pump shotgun. There would be very little time, if any, to clear a jam on a semi-auto depending on distance. I have never had a jam with my good, broken in, defensive pistols, auto rifles or shotguns, but that wouldn't be the time to have the first. The exception would be if there were more than a couple of armed hunters with you.

I realize that military, forest service, wildlife management and law enforcement depend on semi-autos, or autos every day, but they usually have others as backup. I am also sure that many members have complete confidence in their semi-autos, but why do we do tap, rack, clear drills?

Last Edited:
I would be more confident with a .44 Mag revolver, 45-70 lever action or pump shotgun. There would be very little time, if any, to clear a jam on a semi-auto depending on distance. I have never had a jam with my good, broken in, defensive pistols, auto rifles or shotguns, but that wouldn't be the time to have the first. The exception would be if there were more than a couple of armed hunters with you.

I realize that military, forest service, wildlife management and law enforcement depend on semi-autos, or autos every day, but they usually have others as backup. I am also sure that many members have complete confidence in their semi-autos, but why do we do tap, rack, clear drills?

!2ga Mossberg 500 with extended mag... and for backup... another 12ga Mossberg 500 w/mag extention.

I think he just wants to get 'im mad with that carbine and then drill 'im through an eye socket with the 10mm.
Bad mofo right there.

Dude carried a M1 Carbine through 2 tours in Nam, said it was far better then that damn plastic fantastic M-16! I might have agreed with him had I not switched to really good ammo as a civilian!

Last Edited:
For a handgun as a backup I would take the most powerful one that I shot well . I had the Ruger Bisley hunter .44mag. But it was single action , heavy and I couldn't shoot it as accurate as my 1911s. It was no fault of the pistol, just me. Plus I can run the 1911 one handed. But would a p226 loaded with 21 rounds of Buffalo boar be a better choice ? Your wanting good penetration of the vital areas. I think if you can put shots on target fast with a .44 mag or larger , that would probably be you best choice. My dad used to one hand his .44 Blackhawk with full power loads , but we're all different.

Ruger 44 mag carbine. 5 shots semi-auto. if that doesn't work then I'm screwed. Also doesn't weigh a ton if I'm going to be doing things that attract predators. Like packing out elk or say fishing in bear infested rivers.

Fishing in bear infested rivers... apparently you use elk meat as bait.

This is what us gen X fish for.

bear-shark-1.jpg

I have to admit that since I wasn't there I can't say for sure what happened or how I would react, but I'd hope to God I wouldn't toss him a gun and run. I can't see letting go of a gun if I happened to need one!
I used to always carry a handgun when I was rifle hunting, but decided it could be left behind as long as I was carrying my rifle. If I wasn't carrying my rifle, I had my handgun. If I was in an area known of the big hairy/nasties, I would carry my 12 gauge pump. This one stays loaded with alternating rounds of 00 Buck and slugs. I carry this one muzzle down. It's really quick to roll it off of my shoulder and bring it onto target.
Mav88.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads