JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Winchester 97 with 16 inch bayonet is the first choice for home defense! I have had to make a few Bayonet charges against those Spiders, and may or may not have taken a good size chunk out of the floor in the kitchen! 2 3/4 high brass "T" shot is the load of choice!
91fdf65f303b0307ba2e017ee36dea23_opt.jpg

Yea, We don't like spiders at all, big or small, they all must die! Lucky we don't have scorpions, its too high up for them, and too freakin cold!

I was sitting on a friends couch in Harbison Canyon, just outside of San Diego, enjoying adult beverages when a scorpion came out from under the door sweep of the front door. Yikes!!! Those bastiges are small but pack a wallop! I think I'd replace that door sweep.

We used to fish Lake Mead and camp overnight. One morning there was a scorpion in my pants, before I put them on. Another time I jumped off the bow to pull the boat onto shore, stepped on a big rock, when it turned over there were about 24 scorpion waited to greet me... instant levitation!!!

For me, it's a good reminder to have the 870 with slugs handy in grizzly country , and be aware of my surroundings at all times.

This was a interesting read. Something is better than nothing. Alaskan Fishing Guide Kills Grizzly with 9 mm - LiveOutdoors

His quote from that article... "I have killed enough bears to know how important shot placement can be, even with large-bore rifles"

It is ALWAYS about shot placement. In a bear charging situation, a lot of shot placement is about keeping as calm as possible (read "poop your pants just a little bit".)

You are right a 9mm is better than nothing. But for me, if I was going to carry the weight of a 9mm, I'd just add the extra weight and carry my dirty harry gun.

.500 Magnum maybe? Or a .50AE Deagle?

Like some have mentioned before those calibers are very hard to shoot proficiently, even on paper targets. You just have to wonder how one would do facing a pissed-off sow in close quarters like the guide did (God rest his soul). My condolences to his family. :s0058:
I don't hunt anymore but when I did I always had hey rifle, even if we went in the next day to retrieve a carcass. The people I used to hunt with all knew the drill, one or two guys working & one guy with eyes in the woods.
I hate to say it but complacency kills.

Last Edited:
Like some have mentioned before those calibers are very hard to shoot proficiently, even on paper targets. You just have to wonder how one would do facing a pissed-off sow in close quarters like the guide did (God rest his soul). My condolences to his family. :s0058:
I don't hunt anymore but when I did I always had hey rifle, even if we went in the next day to retrieve a carcass. The people I used to hunt with all knew the drill, one or two guys working & one guy with eyes in the woods.
I hate to say it but complacency kills.
We shot a S&W 44 Mag Scandium (290?) and then a 500 S&W Magnum.
The 500 was sweet to shoot after that nasty Scandium.
I'm a pretty good shot with a handgun, but I'd be a-wigglin' facing a charging Brownie.
To up your odds, I think the big-bore guide rifle/carbine is the way to go.

.375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan
49827.jpg

Last Edited:
I read once where a guy successfully hunted a griz with a 30-06 and a heavy bullet... sounds good... 200yds and where'd I leave that BAR?

I read once where a guy successfully hunted a griz with a 30-06 and a heavy bullet... sounds good... 200yds and where'd I leave that BAR?
It would be nice to have somethin' where you didn't have to work a bolt.
Just in case you were really shakin' and he was still a-comin'
And no, I ain't doin' the Glock 20.
Well maybe if I was gettin' bear-hugged and I could bring the G20 to bear (so to speak).

I've done some deep thinkin' on this.
Hopefully the nightmares will stop.

:)

Edit:
OK, I'm doin' the .375 Ruger and a G20 in a Diamond D chest rig.

I would want a semi auto. In a situation like that you would want something that becomes second nature.

Like Andy always says train with what you carry and make sure it works for you.

I have never needed a semi auto, but the only charge I ever had was stopped with a Marlin Lever action .45/70! Let me tell ya, that lever was a bluer! LOL

Normally, a Bolt action .375 or even a .338 Win would be plenty of rifle, even on the Humongous Coastal Browns we have hunted, heck, I saw a hunter take one with a .270, so I would say proper shot placement trumps horse pressure!
I could see a Semi auto in .308 doing the job as long as the bullets were heavy enough to punch deep and nail the heart and lungs! When i'm out and about scouting, I'm carrying my FAL loaded with 165 gr Cor-loked, I figure after 20 rounds, If I cant stop him by then, then I deserved what ever I gets!

I have never needed a semi auto, but the only charge I ever had was stopped with a Marlin Lever action .45/70! Let me tell ya, that lever was a bluer! LOL

Normally, a Bolt action .375 or even a .338 Win would be plenty of rifle, even on the Humongous Coastal Browns we have hunted, heck, I saw a hunter take one with a .270, so I would say proper shot placement trumps horse pressure!
I could see a Semi auto in .308 doing the job as long as the bullets were heavy enough to punch deep and nail the heart and lungs! When i'm out and about scouting, I'm carrying my FAL loaded with 165 gr Cor-loked, I figure after 20 rounds, If I cant stop him by then, then I deserved what ever I gets!

I agree with you on shot placement. But that can be hard to do against a charging bear especially when you weren't expecting him to charge or didn't see it coming. Now if you are hunting and have the drop on him and he doesn't see you then yes a lesser caliber with good shot placement would do the job. Just my .02 brother. ;)

If I get charged, I want to be able to unleash as much firepower as quickly as I can. No time for good aiming when you got a bear coming at you at full speed. Just press the trigger until it's no longer moving.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top