JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 30-06 is a in between caliber. There are better calibers for deer and antelope. I f I am going after elk or bear I will normally grab a larger caliber or a magnum. I feel the 7mm magnum is also a in between caliber. For a one rifle one cartridge I love the 30-06 and have three. The 06 is the jack of all but I do not consider it the master of any

View attachment 1880397
My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle.
Hands down my favorite rifle.
The target shown is three shots touching in a rectangle the size of a playing card.
50 yards off hand.
I have taken:
Grouse
Coyote
Antelope
Deer
Elk
And bear with this rifle.
If I have a shot I need to make this is one of my rifles I would choose.
Andy
That right there is a nice rifle! One could certainly do worse...

:s0013:
Not able to make a single choice, this being 'Murca and all.. It would depend on my situation... whether I'm allowed to use my stacks 'o ammo or have to rely on scrounged stuff..
As it stands I would probably go either my 7.92x57 rifle(s) or .30-30 Marlin. Stacked 8mm Mauser deep when all that Ostblocke surplus hit the market some years ago. Grew up on the 8mm Mauser and have a few around the place. OK, so that's one... Otherwise, the .308 would be a logical too, I have a few rifles in both mil and commercial and a few cases of ammo plus reloading supplies... common caliber here in the States and powerful enuff for anything I am likely to hunt... logic would dictate the 7.62x51.... Likewise, the .30-30 is another one that is handy, reloadable, commonly available, and there's a bit of it around the place.. while it's a bit light, it will do the trick for me and my hunting needs.
So... 7.92 Mauser rifle(s), heeavily sporterised German K98k, BLR .308, or .30-30 Marlin, pre-safety, straight-grip stock. All things considered, it would *probably* come down to my old BLR, depending on the situation in general- for HUNTING... I existed on one or another of these at various early times in my life when things were tight, and any would do the job for HUNTING.
Heck, when it came down to it I could do worse than my old 870 12 gauge, altho that was a better choice growing up in Michigan than it might be here in Colorado... but a wide selection of modern 12ga ammo and replacement barrels make the ol 870 a decent "One gun forever" type of scenario.

Personally, I never had much use for the .30-06. Ended up with four.

1715983146735.jpeg

Awesome pic! Nice buck and nice old Enfield! Good shooting!
'03 Springfield. My uncle's only big game rifle that he bought at Fred Meyer in the '50's.

Hunted with it his whole life. Handed me "The Ol' Springfield", as he called it and said go kill something with it before I die. (Leukemia).

The buck was Montana State Record for that year. Uncle got to see the mount before he passed.

'03 Springfield. My uncle's only big game rifle that he bought at Fred Meyer in the '50's.

Hunted with it his whole life. Handed me "The Ol' Springfield", as he called it and said go kill something with it before I die. (Leukemia).

The buck was Montana State Record for that year. Uncle got to see the mount before he passed.
Nice! Cool story man I'm glad he got to see it before he passed!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top