JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Russian bear damage
pE2qO4ee.jpg
I'm thinkin' .375 H&H or better for the bear gun

Then there is this little bastage, he has caused all sorts of trouble and has made his den under the front porch, along with his Ol'Lady and three kits who are also a royal pain in the azz!
toz12437l.jpg
Careful what you wish for, wild animals can be a real pain! I have been really close to ending this little bugger, especially when he got into my shop and went through every thing making a serious mess!
13f8cccd706961c753572f12e6d713d7.jpg

Actually the only reason I let him hang around is he kills all the mice and other rodents that get into things, plus, when he is around, no snakes or spiders, so, he IS actually quite helpful, when he isn't helping his self to stuff he shouldn't! Wife says he would make a most excelent collar, I threaten to make him into a hat, even showing him pictures of hats on my lap top! I think he thinks is its a game!

Just like when there is a widely posted self defense shooting...
The folks in the OP will be second guessed and judged seven ways to Sunday , by people who weren't there.

I would like to think that I wouldn't have cut and run and left a guy in the lurch...
But while I have seen , been in and done some stuff , in combat , I have never been face to face with a hungry or pissed off Grizzly Bear.

I wasn't there and haven't heard all the "facts" in the story , so no real comments from me , 'bout what was done , not done or should have been done , other than :

Remember that when you go out in the wild , you are not the one with thick fur , claws and fangs , you do not live in the wild ....But you are where the wild things are , where they live , play and eat...Be alert at all times....
Andy

Any handgun is sub-optimal for dealing with a bear attack (like - DUH! on that) and a .44 Mag is the minimum. A 240 gr HP load in a .44 may be the choice for hunting critters that don't regard you as vittles, but for bear a 300 gr hard cast bullet with ogive & 70-80% meplat is more likely what you would want.
I recall an apocryphal story about a group of hunters who were charged by a big grizzly upon disembarking from their pickup (no, I don't have a link). All who had their rifles deployed opened fire (only 2 calibers I remember are .30-06 and 7mm Mag) without stopping the bear. Those who had exited the truck got back in and the bear mauled the truck most expensively before keeling over. The bear had soaked up 7 rds. of serious rifle fire and managed to live long enough to seriously damage the truck.
Iff'n I had muh druthers, my choice of a gun for dealing with enraged bears would be an MG-42 or a FG-42 in 7.92 x 57mm (Bren Gun also acceptable) with full auto turned ON. :D
And no, when it comes to something that wants to kill me I don't care to give it a sporting chance.

You are too nice Andy but I will stand by my comments. The facts are, they were in known grizz country gutting animal with no firearm readily availabe. I have no comments on the clients actions as he was paying the guide for his expertise. As I said before the guide showed a lapse in judgement and he paid for it dearly.

They were not completely unarmed. Besides the Bear Spray, they did have a handgun stored inside a pack. The client hunter did manage to retrieve it. If you go to the link I posted earlier, you will see in the video interview that he attempted to throw the handgun to the guide. But he admitted that his throw was off, and that it landed short, and the guide was never able to retrieve it. The client then ran from the scene for his life.

But honestly, is there any handgun that has ever been made, that one would feel comfortable in using to stop an enraged Grizzly?? Sure seems like a job for a rifle, to me.

Or maybe a shotgun with some deep penetrating slug shells:

View attachment 500190
.500 Magnum maybe? Or a .50AE Deagle?

I have a book about bear stories from Yellowstone. One in particular was a Ranger out on fire watch with his horse and pack mule. They hunkered down due to thunder and lightning, but the mule broke loose and ran off. The next day he found the mule dead from a lightnig strike. The ranger went back to camp and called for help. When the went back to see the mule they found it dragged off, uphill into the trees. They said the mule probably weight 1200+ lbs and a grizzly pulled it uphill into the trees.
I have one about Alaska! One of the stories that stuck out to me was 2 hunters shooting some 30 rounds into a charging grizzly's heart, completely blowing out the heart, and the bear still managed to grab one guy, kill him, and drag him 200 yards.

I wasn't there obviously, but seems like this just brings a even more bright light on Apex animals.
When you have animals that see you as a snack, there has to be lawful ways to lesson the exposure on humans.

I find it interesting, how many people would say, oh poor bears. But would not want a Tyrannosaurus Rex loose running around
if they were here. News flash you do not need a 20ft high animals to kill you, bears do it very well.
I think Nature needs to be kept intact, I also know we need to always see our selves as the Apex Predator, and never let any animal hold that title, we earned that title as the smartest and most adaptable species.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top