JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm up in Montana this week for work. Here once a month. Anyways I was driving from missoula to great falls today, and stopped at a small small town. The gal at the C store had security photos of 2 grizzlys that came in by the store a month ago. Not sure if I'm more surprised at that footage, or the fact that she had security cameras in this town. Population is maybe 45.

Stranger danger!!!

Here is some updated info, including an interview with the surviving hunter.

His main lesson from this ordeal, that he wants to pass on to other hunters, is this:

"have the right kind of ammunition, and the right kind of firearm, with you".

So it does appear that a major miscalculation was made in arming themselves, when they went back to look for the Elk.

Injured hunting client says guide saved his life - services for Uptain Wednesday - Buckrail - Jackson Hole news

Thanks for the more info. I had not seen anything of this before. I am shocked the guide did not have a gun to protect them there.

The large Browns are very capable of this. It would be a horrible death alright. Anyone in country where these animals live need to be aware.

There was an old movie where a rogue griz did just that and more... he even killed a helicopter!!! Wish I could remember the name.

I just can't imagine anyone looking for a wounded or downed game animal in griz country going unarmed... maybe there should be some kind of test before guides get to take dudes out in the woods to be killed or maimed.

We hunt elk in an area of Montana well known for grizz. Hell they have even relocated problem bears to this area we hunt. I think in the 20 years or so we have been hunting there, we are aware of 4 or 5 maulings involving hunters dealing with their kills. At least 2 have been killed. When we get an animal down we buddy up and try to get all hands on deck to get the animal out. Even going back in for another load we all pack our rifles. Around camp even just going to the outhouse or gathering wood the majority of us pack large caliber wheel guns. It is no different than carrying concealed in our everyday lives. For it to be effective you have to have discipline to always have it available. Sad story for sure but hopefully learning occurred.

Thanks for the more info. I had not seen anything of this before. I am shocked the guide did not have a gun to protect them there.

The guide did bring a large can of bear spray, which the wildlife officers found and recovered. The can was completely empty, so he apparently emptied it all onto the Grizzly. That probably just mad the Bear hopping mad, I would imagine.

In any event, it appears that a can of bear spray is not an effective deterrent against an enraged Grizzly.

There was an old movie where a rogue griz did just that and more... he even killed a helicopter!!! Wish I could remember the name.

I just can't imagine anyone looking for a wounded or downed game animal in griz country going unarmed... maybe there should be some kind of test before guides get to take dudes out in the woods to be killed or maimed.

They were not completely unarmed. Besides the Bear Spray, they did have a handgun stored inside a pack. The client hunter did manage to retrieve it. If you go to the link I posted earlier, you will see in the video interview that he attempted to throw the handgun to the guide. But he admitted that his throw was off, and that it landed short, and the guide was never able to retrieve it. The client then ran from the scene for his life.

But honestly, is there any handgun that has ever been made, that one would feel comfortable in using to stop an enraged Grizzly?? Sure seems like a job for a rifle, to me.

Or maybe a shotgun with some deep penetrating slug shells:

MG_4444.jpg

They were not completely unarmed. Besides the Bear Spray, they did have a handgun stored inside a pack. The client hunter did manage to retrieve it. If you go to the link I posted earlier, you will see in the video interview that he attempted to throw the handgun to the guide. But he admitted that his throw was off, and that it landed short, and the guide was never able to retrieve it. The client then ran from the scene for his life.

But honestly, is there any handgun that has ever been made, that one would feel comfortable in using to stop an enraged Grizzly?? Sure seems like a job for a rifle, to me.

Or maybe a shotgun with some deep penetrating slug shells:

View attachment 500190
I would scope the scope though! Lol!

I guess I am surprised the bear spray wasn't more effective but who knows how much the bear really took or if it was out of date. Many variables but ultimately the guide made a judgement error and paid the ultimate price. Washington finally allowed archers to carry a modern weapon for defense a few years back which was a solid move.

I have a book about bear stories from Yellowstone. One in particular was a Ranger out on fire watch with his horse and pack mule. They hunkered down due to thunder and lightning, but the mule broke loose and ran off. The next day he found the mule dead from a lightnig strike. The ranger went back to camp and called for help. When the went back to see the mule they found it dragged off, uphill into the trees. They said the mule probably weight 1200+ lbs and a grizzly pulled it uphill into the trees.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top