JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In an old Outdoor Life magazine I remember reading about a hunter that was killed by what was thought to be a grizzly.
They said that as they picked up the remains, the bones were crushed like only a wolf could.
According to the writer, the wolf can apply much more jaw pressure than a bear can.
They said that the guy's remains were carried out in a 5 gallon bucket.

The author would be incorrect, grizz generate more bite pressure than a wolf by about double.

Edit, I looked it up to make sure I wasn't talking out my arse and the grizz actually generates 3 times the bite force of a the wolf.

Last Edited:
In an old Outdoor Life magazine I remember reading about a hunter that was killed by what was thought to be a grizzly.
They said that as they picked up the remains, the bones were crushed like only a wolf could.
According to the writer, the wolf can apply much more jaw pressure than a bear can.
They said that the guy's remains were carried out in a 5 gallon bucket.

Well, but in this case, there was both an eye witnesses, and also overwhelming physical evidence. So there really is no doubt to the identity of the animal responsible.

I doubt that there is a more aggressive animal to be found in nature, than a sow Grizzly with a cub. If you encounter one in the wild, you are in really big Doo Doo.

Last Edited:
This report down below from this morning confirms that a handgun was recovered from the scene, and that it had not been fired. No details, though, regarding the make, model, or caliber of the handgun.

I find it difficult to understand why the client hunter did not attempt to use the handgun, and instead tried to throw it to the guide. I guess that the handgun must have belonged to the guide.

If I had been the elk hunter, I would have come back the next day still carrying my rifle. It is not just that the guide did not feel that he needed a rifle, but the hunter left his own high powered rifle behind, too.

Officials kill two grizzlies after fatal attack on hunting guide

One of my high school buddies worked in a fishing camp in Alaska right out of high school. They were all required to carry a magnum pistol for protection. The first summer that he was up there they were back in camp cleaning the day's haul and a Grizzly came into camp smelling the fish.

He told me it sounded like world war three because all five guides unloaded and the damn thing just kept coming. The owner stepped out of his hut and shot the Grizzly with a large caliber rifle (can't remember what caliber) and killed it. He still lives in Alaska but says he never leaves his house with out a rifle.

Probably some kind of story behind this one.....
bearhuntergun.jpg

I live in Grizz country, and I can tell you first hand just bow big and mean they can become! I have a 6 year old boar that lives on my Ranch, he is about the most magnificent animal i have ever seen! I watched him take down a bull moose from about 800 yards off, it wasn't even a struggle, that bull just died right where that grizz nailed him, likely from a broken neck! Even all the way out, I could hear that kill! That grizz sat there and ate until there was nothing left for the buzzards! I drove my Cat down to take a look at the remains, those bones had all been shattered and the marrow sucked out! As big as he is, he is quite skillful at using his paws to get at things, and in the early days, he could unlock the latch to the gate before I built the bear fence! I would not ever trust him even though we "Know each other" as he is a wild animal and is likely to act like one if I were ever to miss step! If he can do what he did to the Moose, just imagine what he could do to a person!:eek:

.44 Magnum as a minimum. Ideally a shotgun with slugs or something similar to a 45-70.

Larger caliber handguns are harder to control than a .44, so several well placed shots with a .44 or one or two with a .454 or .500. I will stick with the .44 with bear loads, the shotgun or 45-70.

Cc is better tactically anyway.

Oh I agree with that! If they don't know you have a firearm, they don't target you for one to steal. But I carried open on my backpack and my daypack, never cared what other hikers thought about that.

I would love to!!!!!!! Too bad it is illegal for a land owner to harvest the meat from game that drops dead on their land... and a huge no-no to kill game on their own land!

Landowner preference points as well as landowner hunts as well as landowner damage permits.

That probably just mad the Bear hopping mad, I would imagine. In any event, it appears that a can of bear spray is not an effective deterrent against an enraged Grizzly.

Possibly enraged, but very much aggressive mama and wanting to take that kill for herself and cub!!

I find it difficult to understand why the client hunter did not attempt to use the handgun, and instead tried to throw it to the guide. I guess that the handgun must have belonged to the guide.

Maybe the client watched enough movies where he didn't want to accidentally shoot the guide.

I checked the mileage from where this attack occurred to where we elk hunt and it is 100 miles as the crow flies. We stopped going early season mostly because of the bears not being denned up. We still are very vigilant in the later season especially on warm years.

In my A.O. the only season you don't really have to worry about Bears is late Elk Muzzle Loader season, starts in December and runs through the middle of January! My Bear dosnt usually den up until late Nov. And comes out about March! He is super cranky when he comes out of hibernating, and is likely to get upset at the smallest critter that crosses his path! Takes him about two weeks to calm down and get back to his groove, which is taking naps and eating and walking around being baddazz!

Last Edited:
I would actually kill to live where I had grizz around. Way easier to deal with than the human degenerates most of us are used to. You are a lucky man Ura-Ki!

I would actually kill to live where I had grizz around. Way easier to deal with than the human degenerates most of us are used to. You are a lucky man Ura-Ki!
Thanks! I had been warned that there were bears, wolves, and all sorts of other critters in the area, but I made the mistake of believing that I wouldn't be seeing very many if any, boy was I wrong! Funny thing is, it's the little guys that cause the most trouble, mainly Fox, those little bastages get into every thing and are the world's best thieves! Then we get Skunks, Beavers, and all the raptor, including a serious Bald Eagle pair who are constant pests, much worse then crows! They are always fighting with the Owls and Hawks and chasing all the other critters around! It's quite a Doctor Doolittle story down there, all the critters seem to think the Ranch is some sort of sanctuary!
More often then not, I'm awoken at Sun up by some critter making a racket out side, or my dogs making a racket about some critter close to the house! Intresting problem to have, wouldn't trade it for any thing, but if I had known what I was in for, I don't know if I would have bought the place!

Awe, who am I kidding, he'll yea I would have bought knowing what I was in for!

I watched the news interview of the client. He said the bear attack him. From the marks on him it looks like he fell down running away. I can't imagine not using the gun and leaving the guide. What a piece of Sh--.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top