JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to toss out a few thoughts here...
Luckily for us hunters Deer , Elk or any other game animal do not read reloading manuals or ballistic charts.
They are not going to care:
If they are shot with the newest cartridge developed .
If they are shot with the cartridge that has the most "Killing power" , "knock down power" , Foot pounds , velocity , etc ...
If they are shot with a rifle that is the most high tech or a antique flintlock...

But we as hunters do need to care that we :
Know our rifles , shotguns , pistols , bows , whatever , well enough to make a lethal hit , at a range that we can retrieve our animal.
Use enough gun as the old saying goes.
Now I am not saying the we need to use the biggest gun and cartridge out there ... but that it might be best to use the biggest gun and cartridge combination that you can carry and shoot effectively.
A gun and cartridge combination that you can use in the terrain that you are going to hunt in ... In all weather , when you tired , in all lighting conditions etc ...

Which brings us back to "knowing" your rifle.
Carry and shoot your rifle when you are out scouting for game in the off season.
Bring it with you on a scout in bad weather.
When possible and safely , shoot your rifle when on these scouts ... trying hitting that spent shell casing or odd colored rock. ( Again when it is safe to do so )
Practice shooting in bad weather or lighting ... practice offhand , sitting , with a branch or a log as rest etc...Remember there are no benches in the field.
Know your range limits with your rifle and stick to them ... no need for a Hail Mary shot at a game animal.
Andy

Luckily for us hunters Deer , Elk or any other game animal do not read reloading manuals or ballistic charts.
If they are shot with the cartridge that has the most "Killing power" , "knock down power" , Foot pounds , velocity , etc ...
If they are shot with a rifle that is the most high tech or a antique flintlock...

Know our rifles , shotguns , pistols , bows , whatever , well enough to make a lethal hit , at a range that we can retrieve our animal.
Now I am not saying the we need to use the biggest gun and cartridge out there ... but that it might be best to use the biggest gun and cartridge combination that you can carry and shoot effectively.
A gun and cartridge combination that you can use in the terrain that you are going to hunt in ... In all weather , when you tired , in all lighting conditions etc ...

Carry and shoot your rifle when you are out scouting for game in the off season.
When possible and safely , shoot your rifle when on these scouts ... trying hitting that spent shell casing or odd colored rock. ( Again when it is safe to do so )
Practice shooting in bad weather or lighting ... practice offhand , sitting , with a branch or a log as rest etc...Remember there are no benches in the field.
Know your range limits with your rifle and stick to them ... no need for a Hail Mary shot at a game animal.
Andy

Only problem is usually when I'm scouting the weather is nice and then hunting season hits and its raining harder than he!! and miserable which changes everything. :(

Edit: But I agree with you in every aspect of knowing your rifle and what you are capable of. ;)

All very good points - your primary hunting rifle SHOULD also be a varmint gun, range rifle, offhand field gun etc. One really needs to maintain some level of familiarity with it during the off season. Scouting carry is a great idea - it keeps you 'in shape' for it's particular style and weight as all rifle vary somewhat. Unfortunately far too many hunting rifles get sighted in and shot at a range only a few times a year prior to being hunted with.

You are getting lots of great advice so far
You cannot underestimate boots and Danners are excellent. Topographic maps of the area to study at home. A basic compass.A set of knives. A basic sticker for field dressing. A skinner style blade back at camp. A Victorinox steak knive about $4. Use this to make clean cuts around the south end of your downed game. Then if you want to mount it use it on the north end for caping. If is big and you don't want to mount it you can cape it and sell it to a taxidermist to substitute for a botched hide.
A pack frame to transport quartered game

I started elk hunting in Montana with a .270 Win. My budget demanded a center fire rifle that could preform on all, even crows.
Of course this was not the case. It was great on shooting deer on the plains. Shooting elk with a .270 is a bad idea.
Also noise disipline is critical. I have never worn anything but wool made by Filson.The new fabrics are noise makers. This goes for your backpack as well. A pack can be made quiet with a cover. Look at the materials that bow hunters use.
A good orange vest and pack cover need to be quiet. Good luck.

I'd tend to agree the 270 is an excellent deer round but not for elk. I do not know your shooting ranges, but inside 100 yards the minimum would be 308, maybe the 308 does not work so well with 180 grain bullets???, but 30 06 is much better. I love my 30 06 for elk, but I eventually went with a 338. If I had to do it over again I'd just pick out a 300 Winchester and be done with all of it. Obviously, 30 06 great gun for deer.

Andy

Andy, I commend you on your excellent post and words of wisdom. It really hits home with me. Basically it comes down to good hunter ethics. Thanks for your post...

Here's a list that I'd like to share:

1. Be prepared for the hunt:
a. Know your rifle like the back of your hand.
b. Use good equipment that you can rely on.
c. Wear appropriate clothing for the season.
d. Wear good boots. This doesn't mean expensive. Just good.
e. Get yourself in shape. Know your limits.
f. Be willing to learn from your hunting partner and experiences.
g. Stay positive. Don't give up. Be relentless!!!!
H. Be ready for the packout and be organized.

2. Here's how I feel about making/taking the shot:
a. Make it count!
b. Don't pull the trigger unless you are sure of your target.
c. Don't pull the trigger unless you are 100% confident.
d. We owe it to the critter to put them down humanely.
e. Practice like Andy said!!!!

3. Use a good pack that will hold the necessary contents you will need.
This pack should be:
a. Comfortable to wear all day long.

4. Contents of my hunting pack look like this:
a. Emergency supplies like matches, lighter, water, food/snacks, small emergency kit.
b. Map of area.
c. Compass
d. 3 knife set with saw from outdoor edge: Kodi-pak.
e. Knife sharpener.
f. Warm waterproof gloves. Not real heavy.
g. Waterproof jacket. Light and quiet.
h. GPS with landowner chip.
I. Small handheld radio to contact my hunting partner.
j. Extra ammo.
k. 2 small led flashlights.
l. Led headlamp for hands free operation.
m. Rope, tape, extra batteries.
n. Laser range finder.

It's also very important to use a good set of binoculars. This helps to safely identify our target.

Notice how I didn't say anything about cartridges. This is because a competent "MARKSMAN" can use just about any legal (look up state regs.) cartridge/caliber and humanely execute the shot. However, I also agree with Andy and believe you should use the largest cartridge you can handle to cleanly and humanely take down an elk. Always keep in mind, it only takes 1 well placed shot. Proficiency and safety with your firearm are of the utmost importance. I can't stress that enough. Stay safe out there, be good steward's of our forests and clean up after yourselves. Good luck to all the hunters on this forum.

JpU1I4k.jpg

a. Make it count!

This pack should be:

a. Emergency supplies like matches, lighter, water, food/snacks, small emergency kit.
b. Map of area.
c. Compass
e. Knife sharpener.
j. Extra ammo.
n. Laser range finder.

It's also very important to use a good set of binoculars. This helps to safely identify our target.

Notice how I didn't say anything about cartridges. This is because a competent "MARKSMAN" can use just about any legal (look up state regs.) cartridge/caliber and humanely execute the shot. However, I also agree with Andy and believe you should use the largest cartridge you can handle to cleanly and humanely take down an elk. Always keep in mind, it only takes 1 well placed shot. Proficiency and safety with your firearm are of the utmost importance. I can't stress that enough. Stay safe out there, be good steward's of our forests and clean up after yourselves. Good luck to all the hunters on this forum.

View attachment 390012

a. Make it count!

This pack should be:

b. Map of area.
c. Compass
e. Knife sharpener.
j. Extra ammo.
n. Laser range finder.

View attachment 390012
Only thing I'd add is water. Gotta stay hydrated......;)

For elk go with 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. The 7 will be a bit better for deer. The smallest most guys go out with that I have known is 30-06 most head out with The first 2 I mentioned.

Geezless.

OK.... not trying to argue here, but I don't want someone with only a .270 to think they can't elk hunt.

No doubt 300 Win mag etc work great. But if all someone has is a .270 I don't want them to think they have to sell the thing and buy something bigger.

I've taken 4 elk with a .270. Now I use either 30-06 or 7 mag. I didn't stop using 270 because it didn't work, just had more money to burn so I bought more guns.

Put the friggin bullet where it's supposed to go and don't pretend your a Canadian sniper and try to shoot it from half a mile.

It'll kill.
:)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class