JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doesn't matter the age, it's good to start with hunter's safety class.

As far as caliber, the 30-06 is a great all-around cartridge for just about any game in the US. There is no perfect cartridge for beginners. The more important thing is shot placement, so whatever cartridge is chosen, practice at various ranges, elevations, etc.

Get some blaze orange camo, some GOOD boots since you're going to live in them. As far as clothing goes, you can start with army surplus and go more expensive. Hunting doesn't have to be fashionable....though there's enough designer camo out there you'd think it was.

Before you start you should read through the big game regs several times.

For starters you'll need a hunting license. Then you'll need to apply for the hunt that you want unless you're doing a general season. Your buddies might want to take the lead on selecting controlled hunts if you're goin' that route.

Then you'll purchase your tags before the first day of the season. Buy your license and tags early as waiting for the last minute usually is not an enjoyable experience.
Do you think it is to late to a get deer tag for October?

Honestly interesting thread. Lots of information. The debate about caliber this vs caliber that.

:s0013::s0013:

.243, .260, .270, .308, 30-30… etc etc etc… look at the state laws and the minimum requirements. Buck Fever etc is there and breathing helps. So does hunting other game. So does shooting firearms. Do 100 jumping jacks/side-straddle hop, whatever and get your heart rate up to about 150-160 then get behind your glass and try hitting a 3 shot group sub moa.

Another novel concept. Go bow hunting! I promise you after watching deer after deer get away because you get too excited. Miss a shot. Shoot too far away… have to haul 180# of dead animal up and down slopes you will learn how to control and compose yourself a lot faster and better!

Outside of this ^ just follow the other good advice besides the this caliber is better than that caliber debate/ debacle

1662319944991.png
1662319812030.png

Aloha, Mark

Hunting deer/elk What do I really need? (and need to know)
You need to know the habits of your game, in the places you intend to hunt.
You need proper attire (warm, water reisistent clothing and comfortable boots with good traction)
You need a sharp skinning knife (and the knowledge of how to gut a deer/elk)
You need a capable gun (.30-06 is a good choice, but not the only one)
You need to be physically fit (Even a deer can push 200+ lbs.)
You need a good sense of direction (very easy to get lost in the woods or the open plains)
...and probably most important....you need patience.
You can go for weeks, possibly years, before you see a suitable quary. Then you need additional patience to resist that 400-500 yard shot, because they can be very low percentage shots. HUNTING is about finding the game and then putting yourself in the most advantageous position to get a sure, quick kill.
I get in more arguments online because irritants want to argue that its perfectly fine to take 1000 yard+ shots on hoofed game, because they do it all the time and that it's necessary to do so.
I could say I'm a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater, too....doesn't make it so.
Use common sense and have patience. Very important tools, for anything in life.

#1 priority is good eyes. Even a boss scope cannot make up for too much eye damage!!!

Also patience, you need as much patience at it takes to read thread after thread asking the same old/stale questions that members could actually look up with the search function and also be able to put up a logical answer in a 15yr old thread, or so.

:s0113:

THAT'S how much patience deer/elk hunting takes!!!

#1 priority is good eyes. Even a boss scope cannot make up for too much eye damage!!!

Also patience, you need as much patience at it takes to read thread after thread asking the same old/stale questions that members could actually look up with the search function and also be able to put up a logical answer in a 15yr old thread, or so.

:s0113:

THAT'S how much patience deer/elk hunting takes!!!
It's never going to die is it?

Oh Lord Christ in Heaven... WHY IS THIS STOOPID QUESTION A STICKY?????

Mods, please close this dumb thread.
Oh c'mon maaaaaaaaaaaan. The OP was last seen in January of 2013, so he hasn't had a chance to soak up all the wisdom that has been provided for the past nine years. Give him a chance. :s0039:

:s0023:

Why no love for the .308?
Part of the reason why people are not hunting with it as much is because they want a faster round that shoots flatter so less chance of deviation from elements. However, if someone is shooting at a deer beyond 300 yards I'm sure they are doing something wrong anyway.

By me saying that there is going to be someone that pipes in and says that I don't know something or have some anecdotal evidence to something that doesn't hold much weight to other hunters. Furthest distance nationwide average of dropping a deer is under 200 yards for mule deer and within usually 100 yards for whitetail. My goal is to get to Alaska and bow hunt a brown bear. It's one of the few things that just pumps me up and sends a massive amount of adrenaline coursing through my body! I have dropped a black bear or 2 but never a brown bear.

Why no love for the .308?
AKOperator47 said:
Part of the reason why people are not hunting with it as much is because they want a faster round that shoots flatter so less chance of deviation from elements. However, if someone is shooting at a deer beyond 300 yards I'm sure they are doing something wrong anyway.
That's what the 7mm-08 is supposed to be all about.
I agree on the +300 yard shots.

Last Edited:
Geezless.

OK.... not trying to argue here, but I don't want someone with only a .270 to think they can't elk hunt.

No doubt 300 Win mag etc work great. But if all someone has is a .270 I don't want them to think they have to sell the thing and buy something bigger.

I've taken 4 elk with a .270. Now I use either 30-06 or 7 mag. I didn't stop using 270 because it didn't work, just had more money to burn so I bought more guns.

Put the friggin bullet where it's supposed to go and don't pretend your a Canadian sniper and try to shoot it from half a mile.

It'll kill.
:)
When I hunt with my cousin in SW Montana, he hunts with a .270 and has no problem taking elk with it, and has for years.

When I hunt with my cousin in SW Montana, he hunts with a .270 and has no problem taking elk with it, and has for years.
My dad used a Remington 725 with a 3-9x Bushnell scope on a flip over mount for deer for years.
He always held the opinion that the .270 could take an elk, but he felt his 8mm Mauser was a better choice.

Last Edited:
A muzzleloading rifle is all you really need for deer and elk. I recommend .54 caliber for patched ball with about 80 grains of FFG blackpowder for deer and 90 to 100 grains FFG blackpowder for elk.

A good muzzle loading rifle for starting out is a percussion model, .54 caliber, 1/48 twist, with 28" length barrel. Factory options are the old Thompson Center Arms Co. Hawken rifle, the Lyman Trade Rifle, Pedersoli Hawken rifle, and InvestArms 120A or 120B models.

Check with your state and local muzzleloading and buckskinner organizations for local shoots and mentoring.

I don't hunt. Never have. I don't care if you guys hunt. Sometimes I think y'all are kind of crazy. But-hey, some of it looks/sounds pretty damned cool too!

Just wanted to get MY opinion in here.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR