JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doesn't matter the age, it's good to start with hunter's safety class.

As far as caliber, the 30-06 is a great all-around cartridge for just about any game in the US. There is no perfect cartridge for beginners. The more important thing is shot placement, so whatever cartridge is chosen, practice at various ranges, elevations, etc.

Get some blaze orange camo, some GOOD boots since you're going to live in them. As far as clothing goes, you can start with army surplus and go more expensive. Hunting doesn't have to be fashionable....though there's enough designer camo out there you'd think it was.

Before you start you should read through the big game regs several times.

For starters you'll need a hunting license. Then you'll need to apply for the hunt that you want unless you're doing a general season. Your buddies might want to take the lead on selecting controlled hunts if you're goin' that route.

Then you'll purchase your tags before the first day of the season. Buy your license and tags early as waiting for the last minute usually is not an enjoyable experience.

I am about your height and about 140lbs. I love my 30-06. The recoil can be a bit much when I'm sitting down and shooting more then a box of ammo. Whatever gun you use check into getting a Limbsaver.
http://www.limbsaver.com/
I definitely second the advice for good boots. I haven't found that shooting from a bench does much for me for practice as a hunting application. Get out to the woods and practice some real world shooting. Kneeling in the dirt, standing for short range shots, stuff like that. Deer don't usually stand still in a flat field perfectly 100 yards away.

LOL! You might be one of the older ones taking the course. Here's an alternative option....self study.
<broken link removed>

If you have time...there's no substitute for being out in the forest....so get out there with camera, binos, a pack with approximate weight of what you'd be packing during hunting and lug it around for several hours while "hunting" with a camera. Call it a scouting trip.....

Limbsavers are great, but try shooting without one first. Also do some shooting with what you'll wear out hunting. If you're sighting in wearing only a T-shirt, it's going to be a lot different than out in the woods on a frosty day with your shirt, flannel, jacket, vest, etc.

every thing Griz said is right on

imo 30.06 is best all around combo rifle for elk and deer sure a 300 mag would be better for elk but overkill for deer

for foodware i always where gortex boots like danner or bates for deer if its still dry good comfortable shoes are fine my friend and dad both were tennie shoes for deer hunting less weight and they are they claim quieter

For oregon GORTEX is the way to go for clothing i love it espessially in Elk season when every one else is cold and ready to go back to the truck i'm nice and comfortable and enjoying the rain.

you'll want to carry a quality knife that holds a edge for gutting a back pack saw for elk if you plan to bring a quarter out on your first trip back to the truck

Can't go wrong with Danners. I don't have any of those myself but I wouldn't mind getting a pair sometime. I have a pair of Lacrosse boots that I have been really happy with. Think about how much insulation you may or may not need. Having boots with some Thinsulate can be nice for the cold but a bit on the sweaty side on a milder day. For socks, and all your other clothes in general, avoid cotton. Use one of the many science fabrics out there or even some good old wool. You don't have to go out and spend boat loads. You can find some pretty decent stuff around for not much money.

Are you purchasing a Weatherby rifle in .270 Winchester, or a .270 Weatherby magnum? Way big diff. Check the price of ammo and availability before making that purchase.

whew!... got scurred for a min........lol

I will be concentrating on deer mostly, I guess if I HAVE to buy a bigger rifle when the time comes for Elk I can..... BUMMER!!!!!! hehehehehehehe.... :s0087:

I do have confidence in my shooting ability, but I know I need alot of practice.

thats the right attitude :s0155: any reason to get another rifle is a good reason

as far as scopes make sure you get duplex and a 3x9x40 or in that range will do you.

the Leupold Vx 2 is very nice i had a Vx3 and i preferred my buddys vx2 for light and clarity don't figure since the 3 cost almost twice as much

but i personally use a bushnell elite 4200 cause it has the raingaurd and illuminated cross hairs for my elk rifle

for budget scopes i personally like the simmons master series scopes but they have do have some reflection in the eye under certain lighting that bugs me .

I want to give you some advice, but reading thru the previous post I can only confirm all the excellent advise you have already gotten! 270win is a fantastic caliber. leupold vx2 or a Bushnell elite 3200 should work fine for a scope. good boots are a must. do you plan to hunt west, east, or both? I would suggest a good compass that goes around your neck as you dress in the morning. hunting is a sport that demands patience,& time. it took me a few years to get my 1st deer, but after that , I've been on a heck of a roll.
good luck to you!

Great information has been givin here.My binocs tend to be my best freind. I prefer to carry alot on my belt to keep the weight off my shoulders and back. Knife, GPS,Bullet sheath,Gut hook, and flash light. I carry a pen light as I have been too far from the truck at dusk. In my pockets I carry toilet paper,Latex gloves, water proof matches, and a whistle. I try to keep my day pack light. Compass, rope, light easy things to eat and water.

None of this will matter if you have not spent some time in the woods prior to opening day. If you are serious about the hunt, you need to put in the time.

Boots are key. Make sure they are broke in before you head out. I have walked 5-7 miles a day and if you are hunting the whole week, your feet will be on fire regardless if you are going up and down the hills. Most of all, enjoy being out in God's country. Sit on a stump look and listen.

.270 Win is a GREAT Choice. Its my only choice for NA big game. It will take anything your going to hunt for... but as mentioned, shot placement is key. As for a round for that .270... do yourself a favor and check out the Winchester supreme ELITE XP3. This is an awesome round for elk.

As with any firearm.... practice. This is especially important since you dont want to injure a large animal that could:
Reverse on you while your tracking and run you over.
Run for MILES!
End up out running you and you lose a wounded animal
Not fill your freezer.

As for hunting. Go to Fishermans Marine on Sturaday. They have a free 4 hour workshop on Elk hunting. Supposed to include elk bahaviors, hunting tactics, communication techniques..... the list goes on.
Good luck!

Note to self....
Fisherman's Marine is COOL:s0155:

I'll surely do that...... is it every saturday?.... that dosen't seem to make sense. I will try to find availability and do that!
I go in there a lot, and this is the first time I've seen the posting. Definetely not every Saturday.... probably ONLY this Saturday.

Also, as previously mentioned... spending time in the woods scouting is extremely beneficial. Not just playing with the equipment, but hiking around, looking for sign, watching animals, finding main trails, watering spots, feeding areas, bedding areas...... the list is endless. All the equipment in the world wont help you understand what the animals are doing, when they move...... you get the picture. Good luck... and DONT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR BOYS!!! :s0155:

I'd like to respectfully disagree with some of the advice here. I live in S.W. WA. state where the elk out number the people. I've killed an elk all but two year's since I started hunting elk at age 14. I've been party to tracking and packing well over a hundred elk. Around here when any other local shoots an elk we all drop what we're doing and help.I'm not saying this to brag. Most of the locals here get their elk every year. Mainly becuase we live with them year round and have a deep understanding of their habit's and habitat (swamps and brush). I give this as a background to qualify my opinion's.

1st) Safety. In Wa.I don't think you can get a hunting licence without taking a hunter's saftey course. You should take one even if it's not required. You must ALWAYS have on you a compass,whistle,flashlight,water, a way to start a fire, hatchet or saw,and at least one good knife and some energy bars.This is the minimum for any real trip's into the forest.I have mine in a small pack that I can grab in a hurry. The most important part of a hunting trip is to have fun and stay safe.

2nd)I've seen alot of elk shot with a 270 win. I've seen alot of elk lost that were shot with 270 win. To be fair I've seen elk lost that were shot with 300 win mags. But not nearly so many as the 270. With a 270 win shot placement isn't just important, it's critical. Anything less than a head or spine shot will send them running.The one exception to that is if you hit a rib and get a good goob of fragment's through the heart. Then thay'll run, but not to far. For those of you that I just offended, don't think I don't appreciate the 270 win. caliber. I have 2 rifle's in that caliber. I just don't think it's a good caliber for a beginner for elk. For deer it is my 1st choice. In the heat of the moment most people get a little excited on their first elk kill. It's alot different than a paper target or beer can at 200 yrds.
The 30-06 has a huge variety of bullets available, and has the ability to acually break the shoulders of an elk, or with a good bullet will blow the heart,lungs,liver to crap and leave a good exit wound.
I'll go against the grain again here and explain the benifits of exit wound's. The notion that a bullet should expend all of it's energy within an animal,and that a perfect bullet and shot will stop just under the hide is crap. At least here on the west side. For dangerous game that might be a good plan, but when your in a swamp or heavy brush and it's raining an exit wound is your friend. A big exit wound mean's lot's of blood and an easy track. Unless you break them down,(broken shoulder's,head or spine shot,) or their out in the open, you'll have to track them.
Short of getting seriosly injured,nothing feels worse than losing an animal.

3rd)I pack a 45 acp 1911 for self defence,but it has no place on a hunting trip. I don't know what you think might attack you. What ever it is your rifle is a superior weapon. The only advantage to pistols is their small size.In any case if you want to carry a pistol for kill shot's or whatever,a .357 magnum is in my opinion the minimum.

4th)Good boot's are a must.Then good clothing. Cotton long underwear will kill you if you are wet and get lost or hurt. Layer up with breathable fabric's so you can add or subtract layers to accomadate the condition's. It might be 40 and cool when you leave the truck and by noon it's 60 and you've been hiking and putting those extra layer's in your pack that has your safety equipment.(see # 1).

Nothing beat's going with someone who you know is experienced.

My 2 cent's

Last Edited:
I'd like to respectfully disagree with some of the advice here. I live in S.W. WA. state where the elk out number the people. I've killed an elk all but two year's since I started hunting elk at age 14. I've been party to tracking and packing well over a hundred elk. Around here when any other local shoots an elk we all drop what we're doing and help.I'm not saying this to brag. Most of the locals here get their elk every year. Mainly becuase we live with them year round and have a deep understanding of their habit's and habitat (swamps and brush). I give this as a background to qualify my opinion's.

1st) Safety. In Wa.I don't think you can get a hunting licence without taking a hunter's saftey course. You should take one even if it's not required. You must ALWAYS have on you a compass,whistle,flashlight,water, a way to start a fire, hatchet or saw,and at least one good knife and some energy bars.This is the minimum for any real trip's into the forest.I have mine in a small pack that I can grab in a hurry. The most important part of a hunting trip is to have fun and stay safe. they don't require this in oregon but they should with all the new hunters this year its gonna be scary

2nd)I've seen alot of elk shot with a 270 win. I've seen alot of elk lost that were shot with 270 win. To be fair I've seen elk lost that were shot with 300 win mags. But not nearly so many as the 270. With a 270 win shot placement isn't just important, it's critical. Anything less than a head or spine shot will send them running.The one exception to that is if you hit a rib and get a good goob of fragment's through the heart. Then thay'll run, but not to far. For those of you that I just offended, don't think I don't appreciate the 270 win. caliber. I have 2 rifle's in that caliber. I just don't think it's a good caliber for a beginner for elk. For deer it is my 1st choice. In the heat of the moment most people get a little excited on their first elk kill. It's alot different than a paper target or beer can at 200 yrds.
The 30-06 has a huge variety of bullets available, and has the ability to acually break the shoulders of an elk, or with a good bullet will blow the heart,lungs,liver to crap and leave a good exit wound.
I'll go against the grain again here and explain the benifits of exit wound's. The notion that a bullet should expend all of it's energy within an animal,and that a perfect bullet and shot will stop just under the hide is crap. At least here on the west side. For dangerous game that might be a good plan, but when your in a swamp or heavy brush and it's raining an exit wound is your friend. A big exit wound mean's lot's of blood and an easy track. Unless you break them down,(broken shoulder's,head or spine shot,) or their out in the open, you'll have to track them.
Short of getting seriosly injured,nothing feels worse than losing an animal. Right on :s0155:i had mentioned this as well not so detailed, i've been a firm believer in bringing the right tool for the job why take a chance of loosing a prize such as a elk

3rd)I pack a 45 acp 1911 for self defence,but it has no place on a hunting trip. I don't know what you think might attack you. What ever it is your rifle is a superior weapon. The only advantage to pistols is their small size.In any case if you want to carry a pistol for kill shot's or whatever,a .357 magnum is in my opinion the minimum. I have been told this as well never made much since to me why drop my dead on rifle to use a less accurate side arm

4th)Good boot's are a must.Then good clothing. Cotton long underwear will kill you if you are wet and get lost or hurt. Layer up with breathable fabric's so you can add or subtract layers to accomadate the condition's. It might be 40 and cool when you leave the truck and by noon it's 60 and you've been hiking and putting those extra layer's in your pack that has your safety equipment.(see # 1).

Nothing beat's going with someone who you know is experienced.:s0155:

My 2 cent's

I'm glad you said it.:s0155:

there was another guy who posted simular thread first time hunt made me think but i have a party i hunt with but i'm a little more gun hoe and may be able to take a newbie out hunting when they are not going or if we need extras to drive the animals into the openings

i would suggest finding a old timer whose hunting partner has stopped hunting and needs a brush beater

also take a hunters safty class if you have not, most don't just teach safty they teach hunting practices, laws, skills, rifles, and gutting your first gutting will be a challenge if doing it alone you'll need to cut off the stink glands slit its belly cut around its unmentionables and pull them out reach into the warm body cavitity and cut loose the lungs and pull out the guts making sure not to cut open the gut bag or things can get smelly

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews