JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nobody's perfect.
IMG_1112.jpeg

Absolutely!
Venison: Liver, Heart, Kidney
Elk: Liver, Heart, Tongue n' Oysters. (kidney's are a bit nasty without significant prep)

I prefer Elk meat to venison, but venison liver and heart is incredible!

Next day Elk tongue sandwiches with a nice brown country mustard, fried matoe's and black pepper are a family tradition and will rock your world.

Don't forget to harvest your elk ivory's, too. 👍

Absolutely!
Venison: Liver, Heart, Kidney
Elk: Liver, Heart, Tongue n' Oysters. (kidney's are a bit nasty without significant prep)

I prefer Elk meat to venison, but venison liver and heart is incredible!

Next day Elk tongue sandwiches with a nice brown country mustard, fried matoe's and black pepper are a family tradition and will rock your world.

Don't forget to harvest your elk ivory's, too. 👍
Ivory's? What is that?

Is the tongue served cold on the sandwich like a regular lunch meat or is it served warm?
Precisely. Cold cut thick sliced like lunch meat, but like most lunch meats it's more flavorful at room temp vs. straight out of refrigeration.

I bet warm would be even better, but we usually slow boil it up the same night, let it rest overnight... and I don't know how one might reheat it without going a bit tough. Good question.

Last Edited:
I dont like liver but if its not a backcountry hunt I will save it for others. I love deer and elk heart.
Recently, I have learned to save the caulfat layer around the stomach. I need to figure out how to cook with it better but allegedly venison caulfat is pure and healthy and really extracts its flavor into the meat.

1703917344705.png

I dont like liver but if its not a backcountry hunt I will save it for others. I love deer and elk heart.
Recently, I have learned to save the caulfat layer around the stomach. I need to figure out how to cook with it better but allegedly venison caulfat is pure and healthy and really extracts its flavor into the meat.

View attachment 1791308
Even in backcountry... heart and liver will keep submerged in lightly salted water for a good couple of days. Just drain and replace the water every 12hrs or so. You really want to soak them a good half day or more, anyway, before cooking. It will mellow out the "iron" flavor and sweeten the meat.

Elk caulfat is good too. It adds a lot of flavor and is quite healthy. It also freezes well for later use. Just slow thaw it in the fridge a day before use and you're good to go.

Even in backcountry... heart and liver will keep submerged in lightly salted water for a good couple of days. Just drain and replace the water every 12hrs or so. You really want to soak them a good half day or more, anyway, before cooking. It will mellow out the "iron" flavor and sweeten the meat.

Elk caulfat is good too. It adds a lot of flavor and is quite healthy. It also freezes well for later use. Just slow thaw it in the fridge a day before use and you're good to go.
It depends on how far I have to pack out but I'm trying to keep more even if I don't like something (liver) others do. Last elk I got I stripped all the meat off the ribs and spine.... and my hunting partner asked if he could have it. He packed that carcass out of the backcountry till midnight to make bone broth, and he did.
I usually eat the heart the day of the kill over the campfire. I like the taste just the way it is, maybe a little salt and pepper.

Elk caul fat too, yes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads