JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah, Sheilas backasswards bill. Luckily not for Oregon

This is their spaghetti tactic. They throw everything they've got at the wall and see what sticks. They ALWAYS come out with an extreme bill to make the lesser bills seem tolerable.

This is far too extreme to pass, Just the $800 a year puts firearm ownership out of the hands of average citizens. Something that goes far beyond an unconstitutional bill. This can be taken to court and easily won, even in a liberal circus court.

the bill was created by some fudd in Texas

Hardly. Sheila Jackson Lee is a rabid anti-gunner from Houston that submits 20 or so of these kind of bills every year. This one will also go nowhere, just like all her others.

BTW, take a close look, it is an obviously recycled bill that has been caught up on or modified to be even worse. I think these things are written by High School staffers.

She's a crazy witch!!! Worserer than Mad Maxine!

I went ahead and modified the title; this is a proposed Federal bill, not state-level Oregon.

It appears, thus far, this legislation is about as popular as pile of goat plop. It has zero cosponsors at this moment.

The best part of it being this bad is it will never pass muster as is.
The bad part is they will water it down to show how well they can "compromise" and will eventually get something to pass.

Keep in mind that the Ninth Circuit is no longer, thanks to Trump, the anti gun establishment it used to be. The Ninth threw out California's ten round magazine limit. The ruling is currently on ice while the entire Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decides whether to rehear it.

Would never make it past SCOTUS IMO.

Are you sure about that ? If you ask most people if the government could fine you for raising your grain to feed your own animals they would say no. The government did that very thing to a farmer stating he was negatively impacting interstate commerce , and the SCOTUS upheld it was constitutional because the govt can regulate interstate commerce ... It did not matter that the grain ever left the farmer's property and was never sold.

In fact the case was used to expand the powers of government and many of the powers government now abuses were made possible because of that ruling.

KSGWJ4rm.jpg

I know it sounds too over the top to ever pass but remember the Brady Bill and look at what's happened the last few years in WA and OR. They keep trying these outrageous overreaches because sometimes they work.

Keep in mind that the Ninth Circuit is no longer, thanks to Trump, the anti gun establishment it used to be. The Ninth threw out California's ten round magazine limit. The ruling is currently on ice while the entire Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decides whether to rehear it.

Trump was decidedly anti 2nd amendment though according to the but muh bump stock crowd.

The secret is there will a larger bill with COVID relief and other things in the bill as well so it may pass in some form with changes to it. May not pass the SCOTUS scrutiny but it will take some time and lots of money and I am not sure the Supreme Count will hear this case or not. If Biden packs the Supreme Court in the feature the judges will rule based on their feelings rather than the United States Constitution.

HR 127 is an incredibly poorly written resolution and will go nowhere. Based on the full text, "AR's" would be classified as military type weapons, but a mini-14 would not?

Just to play devils advocate, the OP one page summary is a fairly misleading overview of HR 127. (Regardless, it's a terrible proposal)

The funny part about that is as the 2nd amendment was written, the entire point was to have the populace equipped with "military style or superior weapons," they didn't write it into the constitution because "the deer were coming."

Are you sure about that ? If you ask most people if the government could fine you for raising your grain to feed your own animals they would say no. The government did that very thing to a farmer stating he was negatively impacting interstate commerce , and the SCOTUS upheld it was constitutional because the govt can regulate interstate commerce ... It did not matter that the grain ever left the farmer's property and was never sold.

In fact the case was used to expand the powers of government and many of the powers government now abuses were made possible because of that ruling.
What case are you citing?

Never mind above....found it, Wickard v. Filburn 317 U.S. 111 (1942)
see also United States v. Alfonso D. Lopez, Jr., 514 U.S. 549 (1995) , which addresses the possession of a handgun in school zone and how it restricted the far reaching decision of the Commerce Act and Congress's power therein.

Last Edited:
Never mind above....found it,
Wickard v. Filburn 317 U.S. 111 (1942)

Yep and the court did rule and I quote

"The Court decided that Filburn's wheat-growing activities reduced the amount of wheat he would buy for animal feed on the open market, which is traded nationally, is thus interstate, and is therefore within the scope of the Commerce Clause. Although Filburn's relatively small amount of production of more wheat than he was allotted would not affect interstate commerce itself, the cumulative actions of thousands of other farmers like Filburn would become substantial. Therefore the Court decided that the federal government could regulate Filburn's production. "

Yep and the court did rule and I quote

"The Court decided that Filburn's wheat-growing activities reduced the amount of wheat he would buy for animal feed on the open market, which is traded nationally, is thus interstate, and is therefore within the scope of the Commerce Clause. Although Filburn's relatively small amount of production of more wheat than he was allotted would not affect interstate commerce itself, the cumulative actions of thousands of other farmers like Filburn would become substantial. Therefore the Court decided that the federal government could regulate Filburn's production. "
After Lopez the court also went on to limit this power in Morrison (I have not read this case yet). Interesting notion in the dissent opinion in Lopez was: 'the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was amended to specifically only apply to guns that had been moved via interstate commerce. In his dissent, Associate Justice Stephen Breyer argued that Congress could regulate handgun possession under the Commerce Clause because gun violence could have a significant effect on interstate commerce by impairing educational environments.'

Since most hand guns travel over state lines from manufacturer to point of sale - how did this not apply under the given criteria.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it doesn't/didn't.

HR 127 is an incredibly poorly written resolution and will go nowhere. Based on the full text, "AR's" would be classified as military type weapons, but a mini-14 would not?

Just to play devils advocate, the OP one page summary is a fairly misleading overview of HR 127. (Regardless, it's a terrible proposal)

Yep, very poorly written, but the antis are very content in moving the needle inch my inch by demanding broad sweeping changes while counting on us to make concessions. In the end they are still an inch closer to their goal and we've given up another inch of our rights.

After Lopez the court also went on to limit this power in Morrison (I have not read this case yet). Interesting notion in the dissent opinion in Lopez was: 'the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was amended to specifically only apply to guns that had been moved via interstate commerce. In his dissent, Associate Justice Stephen Breyer argued that Congress could regulate handgun possession under the Commerce Clause because gun violence could have a significant effect on interstate commerce by impairing educational environments.'

Since most hand guns travel over state lines from manufacturer to point of sale - how did this not apply under the given criteria.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it doesn't/didn't.

More than anything I think it had to do with there being a court that was so evenly split it was too far to reach. Just consider this Scalia himself in Heller opined the 2nd is a right that can and should be regulated. Scalia is often touted as an orginalist.

Never trust a government court to rule the government doesn't have a right to regulate something

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top