JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Running suppressed: next purchase to be a modified Glock 21/41 or a 300BLK AR pistol?

• Total voters
Reactions
For those of you who invested in a 300 Blackout AR, do you actually shot it often or do you find that the cost of ammo makes it so that you don't shoot it frequently (especially suppressed)?

I have 9mm and 45ACP cans in Form 4 processing, and am debating whether to get another 45ACP host or a 300 Blackout pistol. If I get a 300BLK, I am wondering if it will end up sitting because of the cost to shoot it.

I don't have a garage or the space in my house to setup a reloading station. I shoot enough that I should find a way, though. I would definitely benefit from finding a friend with a reloader that I could 'timeshare' on, but I don't have such access right now.

I currently shoot 9mm and 45ACP, and am on pace to burn through 1k rounds a month in practice.

It seems that even cheap subsonic 300 Blackout doesn't get below 60 cents a round. A decent day of practice being 160+ dollars in the cheapest of ammo...I can't see that as sustainable

the pace of bench shooting a 308 at 100+ yards is such that shooting a ton of ammo isn't so common.
I have considered getting a bolt action gun for longer ranges, but I don't have regular opportunities to shoot longer distances. I don't hunt and don't foresee any requirement to shoot longer than 30 yards in engagements as a civilian.

For that reason, I train with 9mm, .40 S&W and 45ACP. I am confident with all 3 platforms.

So a bolt gun would only be for fun. And the thought of a suppressed 300BLK is attractive, but I am guessing that it just isn't something that will be sustainable as a regular practice weapon unless a person has a lot of money to burn on ammo (or ammo is subsidized by an employer).

Well if your looking for home defense I would look at a shotgun but that is just me. If you are going out and training and burning through ammo then I would go with .223 or 5.56 because it can be had cheaper than 300 black. You can always upgrade to a 300 black down the road when you are in the position to reload.

If and when I build my 300 black it will mostly be for hunting.

I sold my last Troy 5.56AR, and don't really regret it. It was a fine weapon, but it wasn't for me for quite a few reasons.
My favorite HD gun is the Kriss Vector in 45ACP pictured below, soon to have a Rugged Obsidian 45 staying on it all the time.

But if I don't have time to get that out of the safe, there is typically a pistol with a weapon light and red dot within reach.

20180522_123246cw.jpg

I sold my last Troy 5.56AR, and don't really regret it. It was a fine weapon, but it wasn't for me for quite a few reasons.
My favorite HD gun is the Kriss Vector in 45ACP pictured below, soon to have a Rugged Obsidian 45 staying on it all the time.

But if I don't have time to get that out of the safe, there is typically a pistol with a weapon light and red dot within reach.

View attachment 493432

That thing is sweet looking! :)

Thanks @SKrueger. It is ready to work, as can be seen in the pic. I have a black one in 9mm also. They both are fantastic shooters--they shoot so well that my AR9 was collecting dust so I sold it. I have a CZ Scorpion that is fun to shoot also, but the Vectors are my favorites.

For those of you who invested in a 300 Blackout AR, do you actually shot it often or do you find that the cost of ammo makes it so that you don't shoot it frequently (especially suppressed)?

I have 9mm and 45ACP cans in Form 4 processing, and am debating whether to get another 45ACP host or a 300 Blackout pistol. If I get a 300BLK, I am wondering if it will end up sitting because of the cost to shoot it.
I had one, and sold it. It was a fun project gun to reload for, I didn't have anything to make it quite so I was trying to push stuff through it fast. Think 220s above 1100fps:eek:

In my opinion, 300blk is essentially a better 45acp. It does everything a 45 can better. It can shoot supers as low as 110s, but there are probably lighter bullets too, out to 300-400, it can shoot 220s out to 100 accurately. 45 can shoot a variety of weights too, but pistol bullets just aren't designed to go the distances with precision. Likely 6"-12" groups with a common 45acp at 100 yards.

Other than that, it's worthless within 25 yards if you ask me. Most 30cal bullets, unless specific to 300 black, will not expand at subsonic speeds, so a 45 would be much better for this. Which is ironic since 300blk is advertised as a CQB round. There are more defense rounds available for the 45 than the 300 that are likely to perform tremendously better at close range.

If I were you the question becomes use. If you just want another fun host to make quiet, it's pretty quiet on most rifle platforms. If it's a decision of wanting a better home defense weapon of some sort, you got that covered with that vector.

My 300 Black out AR pistol is a SHTF truck gun. It's small, legal to carry loaded and fits perfectly hidden in my Rig. Shot 300 rounds initially to test it, but that it.

I've got a .300BLK 16" rifle that I built just for shooting hogs. Got it sighted in at a c note and haven't shot it since. But when the time comes, it will fulfill its role nicely. ;)

I had one, and sold it. It was a fun project gun to reload for, I didn't have anything to make it quite so I was trying to push stuff through it fast. Think 220s above 1100fps:eek:

In my opinion, 300blk is essentially a better 45acp. It does everything a 45 can better. It can shoot supers as low as 110s, but there are probably lighter bullets too, out to 300-400, it can shoot 220s out to 100 accurately. 45 can shoot a variety of weights too, but pistol bullets just aren't designed to go the distances with precision. Likely 6"-12" groups with a common 45acp at 100 yards.

Other than that, it's worthless within 25 yards if you ask me. Most 30cal bullets, unless specific to 300 black, will not expand at subsonic speeds, so a 45 would be much better for this. Which is ironic since 300blk is advertised as a CQB round. There are more defense rounds available for the 45 than the 300 that are likely to perform tremendously better at close range.

If I were you the question becomes use. If you just want another fun host to make quiet, it's pretty quiet on most rifle platforms. If it's a decision of wanting a better home defense weapon of some sort, you got that covered with that vector.
Maker Bullets - Product Details
I am developing sub loads for my 458 socom with a 500 gr version of above. I will probably try some for my 300 blk as well. I built a 9.5" blackout pistol and shot it a bunch while developing loads but not too much now. I did kill a deer with it using a 208gr Amax sub load. It is a fun gun especially suppressed and I will probably never get rid of it but unless you reload it would be a bit spendy to shoot alot through it.

Have my .300BLK upper, but haven't shot it yet. I bought it specifically to shoot suppressed and the suppressor is in ATF limbo at the moment. When the time comes, I do plan on loading my own to keep costs down.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top