JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have not bought a new handgun in awhile. I found a gun online that I have been looking for for awhile. Got kinda excited about it until I looked into what it would take to own it. After the transfer, ATF tax, and washingtons "use" tax it's a extra $250! Seriousally? Is this the standard now? They can't get rid of guns so they tax them heavily?

Can any other Washington residents confirm that this is the new standard for owning firearms?

I have not bought a new handgun in awhile. I found a gun online that I have been looking for for awhile. Got kinda excited about it until I looked into what it would take to own it. After the transfer, ATF tax, and washingtons "use" tax it's a extra $250! Seriousally? Is this the standard now? They can't get rid of guns so they tax them heavily?

Can any other Washington residents confirm that this is the new standard for owning firearms?

Buy used and FTF, avoid all the stupid taxes.

No. Should be shipping + ffl fee usually 25$ + use tax.

Somebody is ripping you off... There is no ATF tax

Here's the. Breakdown I got: pistol: $1000. Washington tax (8%): $80. Shipping to ffl: $50. ATF tax (11%): $110. BG check: $10. Although Washington cwp so. Save $10.... Who hoo...

After talking to friends I have confirmed the ATF tax. I guess ATF is putting a 11% tax on all new firearms sold. One friend has already been through this fiasco. He bought a ar15 at the gun show and they tried to nail him with this new tax. Instead, the sellers (I believe it was SAA) said he could buy a assembled upper and a assembled lower and that way he didn't have to pay the tax because it was now considered "parts" and not a assembled firearm. Even though it takes 2 seconds to assemble the upper to the lower. Jumping on SAA website confirms this new tax.

I try to buy used as much as possible to avoid paying taxes but I have never seen a safari arms enforcer ( the gun im wanting to purchace ) in the used market.

You dont pay the "ATF" tax, it is Excise tax and has been around quite some time, <broken link removed>. WA does not charge for BG check. So get your $120 back from whoever did that too you. Then shipping a new gun means it came from a FFL shipping should be no higher then $25.

So $25 shipping, plus use tax, plus ffl fee.......

Hold on, I just bought a gun from a shop.

Only had to pay sales tax. No other fees. Buddy just bought a rifle, sales tax.

If they're charging you WA sales tax, that means they do business in WA, why are they charging you a transfer fee?!

Dunno who you are buying from there is no $10 background check in WA and no FFL will do a transfer for 10$. So your post makes no sense...

Who are you buying from and what state? And who is the FFL you are transferring to?

One thing nice about Oregon, no sales Tax, and they did not charge me for a background check, so the price listed on the gun, is exactly what I paid (cash price) at my local dealer.

Also the atf excise tax is on the manufacturer and was paid by them when the dealer took possession of the firearm... Somebody is pulling a bait and switch on you... Unless you are buying manufacturer direct which is unusual...

Something is fishy here

Hold on, I just bought a gun from a shop.

Only had to pay sales tax. No other fees. Buddy just bought a rifle, sales tax.

If they're charging you WA sales tax, that means they do business in WA, why are they charging you a transfer fee?!

That is because you bought one a FFL had in stock. They are making the money on the mark up of the firearm.

If you order one and have it shipped to an FFL most charge a fee (only way to make money on the sale), how they stay in business. Then the FFL HAS to charge "Use Tax" on the value of the firearm you are having transferred at the local sales tax rate.

Dunno who you are buying from there is no $10 background check in WA and no FFL will do a transfer for 10$. So your post makes no sense...

Who are you buying from and what state? And who is the FFL you are transferring to?

The gun is back east am I am trying to score it from a private party. He will not ship it himself. He wants to drop it off at his ffl and ship it to my ffl. The shipping and transfer fee is $50.00 as is what his ffl told him. As stated, I don't have to pay the background fee (if there is one here in

Washington) as I'm fairly new to Washington and don't fully know all their laws yet. Which is the purpose of this thread.

His ffl told him of the atf tax of 11% on new firearms. Which he informed me off. I talked to a friend which went through the same fiasco. All what I stated in my original post. I have not had the time today to do any research on the subject today. I figured if anybody would know about it the the fine members at NWFA would.

I don't see how you could not make sense of my original post.

One thing nice about Oregon, no sales Tax, and they did not charge me for a background check, so the price listed on the gun, is exactly what I paid (cash price) at my local dealer.

No, you just pay for it in all the other bs taxes that Oregon has. That's the reason I moved out of that state.....

After talking to friends I have confirmed the ATF tax. I guess ATF is putting a 11% tax on all new firearms sold. One friend has already been through this fiasco. He bought a ar15 at the gun show and they tried to nail him with this new tax. Instead, the sellers (I believe it was SAA) said he could buy a assembled upper and a assembled lower and that way he didn't have to pay the tax because it was now considered "parts" and not a assembled firearm.
There is the key. The 11% excise tax is for complete rifles. I had a relative who bought from a manufacturer and they told him a few dealers have gotten popped by the ATF for tax evasion by selling a customer a complete lower and complete upper (any AR owner knows how gruelling hard those are to assemble) to avoid the tax.

The gun is back east am I am trying to score it from a private party. He will not ship it himself. He wants to drop it off at his ffl and ship it to my ffl. The shipping and transfer fee is $50.00 as is what his ffl told him. As stated, I don't have to pay the background fee (if there is one here in

Washington) as I'm fairly new to Washington and don't fully know all their laws yet. Which is the purpose of this thread.

His ffl told him of the atf tax of 11% on new firearms. Which he informed me off. I talked to a friend which went through the same fiasco. All what I stated in my original post. I have not had the time today to do any research on the subject today. I figured if anybody would know about it the the fine members at NWFA would.

Think of it this way. You buy an upper and a lower from a dealer, both separate parts, for $1000. If he bought the AR that is of the same upper and lower from the same dealer, he's supposed to tack on an additional 11% and sell the complete firearm to you for $1110. This is for new firearms only and is not added to an already listed sales price. For any FFL transfers of new or used complete firearms, the 11% was already factored in so you should not be swindeled into paying it again. Any FFLs, please correct me if I'm wrong.

WOW I just bought a Ruger M77V from a guy in Durham NC for $425.00 shipped. When it arrived at my local FFL I paid a $20.00 transfer fee and a State of Oregon BGC fee of $10.00

The seller said it cost him $25.00 to ship the rifle not including the nice box.

thanks for clarifying a few things...

1. you are new to WA. I guess you moved from OR. there is no WA background check fee. there is an FFL transfer fee (price set by FFL)
2. 50$ shipping is reasonable if the seller is dropping to his east coast FFL. that FFL would charge the seller a fee + shipping. since they are shipping FFL to FFL does not have to be overnight shipping so it is cheaper. suspect 25$shipping+25$ffl fee= 50$ so that is legit..
3. your WA FFL here will charge you a transfer fee. so add 25-50$ to that. but I would choose an FFL that charged 25$ and use them unless you have no options.
4. your WA FFL here will collect WA use tax
5. the firearm is NOT NEW... it is currently in possession of a non-FFL holder which means it had been sold by an FFL at some point to a private party and now it is used... doesn't matter if he never fired it... it is a used gun as far as the ATF is concerned... so this part is somebody making money off you... or some other bait and switch... even if there was a tax on new RETAIL firearm sales (which I've never heard of but I may be just ignorant, the tax would not apply to your purchase)

There is the key. The 11% excise tax is for complete rifles. I had a relative who bought from a manufacturer and they told him a few dealers have gotten popped by the ATF for tax evasion by selling a customer a complete lower and complete upper (any AR owner knows how gruelling hard those are to assemble) to avoid the tax.

and that is the key here... the dealer is usually the one to pay the excise tax and then they mark up the item and sell it to the public...

it is rare to buy manufacturer direct but I guess there are a few exceptions

SAA does have some SAA branded rifles... so technically they are manufacturing firearms.. so buying an SAA branded rifle may fall under the excise tax... but again, the tax should have been factored into the sales price to begin with...

Doubletapdrew, optiontrigger, and px4wa, thanks for clearing that up for me. Exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks!

That is because you bought one a FFL had in stock. They are making the money on the mark up of the firearm.

If you order one and have it shipped to an FFL most charge a fee (only way to make money on the sale), how they stay in business. Then the FFL HAS to charge "Use Tax" on the value of the firearm you are having transferred at the local sales tax rate.

Yeah, transfer fee for hitting his book.

This Use Tax though sounds abusive. Who defines the value of the firearm?

EG: I buy a gun from someone (out of state) for $1, the FFL charges me $20 to transfer. Who defines the Use Tax owed, the amount paid, or some arbitrary number created by the FFL?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top