JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hornady doesnt advertise a minimum terminal velocity but some brands that Im aware of average a minimum of 1800fps impact velocity to assure expansion. IMO 2000fps is a safer bet without knowing.

from hornady but no bullet weight given

What's the maximum range for acceptable terminal performance with ELD-X bullets?

It depends on retained velocity and is therefore cartridge dependent. In general, the ELD-X bullets will provide reliable and effective terminal performance up to velocities of approximately 1,600 feet per second.

Hornady doesnt advertise a minimum terminal velocity but some brands that Im aware of average a minimum of 1800fps impact velocity to assure expansion. IMO 2000fps is a safer bet without knowing.
Do you know how much is needed to punch through a tic cage?

For 300 PRC it should have enough velocity at the maximum distance a hunter should shoot. The limiting factor for distance will be the marksmanship of the hunter.

For smaller cartridges, that heavy bullet will start to become a problem and lighter bullets will better optimize a smaller cartridge for distances needed.

Do you know how much is needed to punch through a tic cage?
Odd question. Going through a rib cage is not normally the objective. Going in a rib cage and transferring the energy of the bullet into destruction of the lungs and heart is the purpose. It takes a lot more velocity to do that with an expanding bullet than to go through both sides with a FMJ.

Last Edited:
Odd question. Going through a rib cage is not normally the objective. Going in a rib cage and transferring the energy of the bullet into destruction of the lungs and heart is the purpose. It takes a lot more velocity to do that with an expanding bullet than to go through both sides with a FMJ.
That's odd, your quote shows me, but that was asked by someone else.

For 300 PRC it should have enough velocity at the maximum distance a hunter should shoot. The limiting factor for distance will be the marksmanship of the hunter.

For smaller cartridges, that heavy bullet will start to become a problem and lighter bullets will better optimize a smaller cartridge for distances needed.

I want the bullet to go through for blood trailing. It's a 212g ELDX fired from a 300 Winchester. I want to destroy heart and lungs and go through the rib cage.

I want the bullet to go through for blood trailing. It's a 212g ELDX fired from a 300 Winchester. I want to destroy heart and lungs and go through the rib cage.
There's no way you can guarantee a pass thru, hunting bullets are rquired by law to expand. The best chance might be with a Barnes TTSX, they expa d but are designed to retain all their weight so more likely to get a pass thru.
Heart is a much different target than the lungs. Your not likely to hit both with one shot...

Ahh the big bad bullet proof elk..if a 220gr 30-40 krag will pass thru..then one of them super magnum slick bullets screaming at super velocities will be just fine. And you don't need pass thru if you know how to shoot a animal properly.

Ahh the big bad bullet proof elk..if a 220gr 30-40 krag will pass thru..then one of them super magnum slick bullets screaming at super velocities will be just fine. And you don't need pass thru if you know how to shoot a animal properly.
I know how to shoot an animal properly. My question is not about shot placement. My question is, what is the minimum velocity needed for my bullet to perform and preferably to punch through the carcass. In my opinion, if the bullet expands properly and just punches through, that critter is coming home

For the purposes of discussion, you ask for a minimum velocity for bullet performance. What range do you expect to shoot at? I would look at some ballistic tables to get an idea of velocities from the muzzle out to where you think your max distance shot may be. I consider out to 300 yards to be a reasonable shot distance for bullet placement / performance. Heavier bullets may drop velocity, but downrange energy is still retained better than with lighter bullets. At some point, bullet expansion may not be sufficient.

In 2002, I took an elk in Wyoming, and that was the longest shot I had ever taken on any animal, right around 500 yards. I intended for a shot to the vitals, When I shot, he dropped his head, tried to maintain footing, and tipped over. When I got out to him, I tried to determine just where the bullet hit. No visible wounds in the hair on either side. No blood whatsoever. It wasn't until I started field dressing that I found the wound in the neck. One neat hole on either side, broken spine. I was shooting a 375 H&H, 270 Grain Speer SPBT. M/V was right around 2650 fps. I honestly can't say what the bullet would have done in the vitals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top