JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I'm in the mind set as a few on here,buy as much ammo as you can as long as all your other stores are in good shape
10k of ammo isn't any good ifin your food stores are down.
And if you are thinking you will take someone else's food stores,make sure they did just the opposite of you and stored all food and no ammo.
We have a large Mormon population here and they laugh when I tell them that people think they will 'just take the mormon's stores'.

Yar, I have a lot of LDS friends. Many of which are just considering getting into shooting for various reasons, as well as a bunch whom allready are.

Well I'm in the mind set as a few on here,buy as much ammo as you can as long as all your other stores are in good shape
10k of ammo isn't any good ifin your food stores are down.
And if you are thinking you will take someone else's food stores,make sure they did just the opposite of you and stored all food and no ammo.
We have a large Mormon population here and they laugh when I tell them that people think they will 'just take the mormon's stores'.
Well they used to have their wicked avenging angels that shot up half of Utah and Idaho, a bloodthirsty group. All our Mormon neighbors in Wyoming had guns. Bet they are not easy pickings.

I do conceder myself a bit of a prepper in many ways but not for any one issue. I agree as someone said if Yellowstone Park pops or a jumbo meteor hits the earth we are all screwed and no planning will help. I am also not prepared for a nuclear war either.

Economic or grid collapse, civil unrest and a few others I feel I could do ok for a while as I do have location, food, water, seeds, medical and other supplies to get me by with.

Now for guns and ammo: I have always believe in having at least 1000 rounds minimum per battle rifle and 500 to 1000 rounds per hand gun with a minimum of 10 mags per firearm.

This is why I limit myself to 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39 and .308 for calibers. All my backup guns have been tested, zeroed then cleaned and stored away except my training firearms. Most if not all of my stored ammo is of the same type and lot per caliber. I will shoot anything for practice but it is used in my training firearms or fun toys as to not mess up stored firearms zero.

In reality it has only been the last 2 years that the 5.56 has even come back into play for me as I had completely dumped it a number of years ago for the AK.

I do have a few collectables of odd calibers but my minimums are for said battle firearms.

Now I have taken some training and was in the military and try to practice at least every other month if not monthly but as I get older I realize I am not as fast as I once was or see as well as I once did so the odds are not as high in my favor as they once were.

So I have and do most of my prepping for my boys and their families who over the years I have helped in becoming prepared, trained and equipped.

So how much ammo do you need?

I do not have a clue and the standing joke in my family is one of two things will happing: My family and I will die in the first wave and never use any of the preps or when I die my kids and their friends will have a dang good time shooting up all the ammo at the expired cans of food at my WAKE!

Unless you have the wherewithal to ,basically,have your own island type situation, you can never have enough supplies to last forever. You can't store enough water,you would need a source.
Think of the room it would take to have food for 10 years.
Or trying to keep it quiet that you have 1mil rounds
The best we can do is have enough to get us thru some bad times and either grow more food or gleen food from expired owners.

Unless you have the wherewithal to ,basically,have your own island type situation, you can never have enough supplies to last forever. You can't store enough water,you would need a source.
Think of the room it would take to have food for 10 years.
Or trying to keep it quiet that you have 1mil rounds
The best we can do is have enough to get us thru some bad times and either grow more food or gleen food from expired owners.

If it were a type of disaster which were to disrupt normal transportation, destroyed/disrupted roads, no fuel for casual travel etc. Rural folks could become "an island" with some planning & cooperation.

Further outlying homes, those closer to "town", or near arterial routes may have to be abandoned for occupant/livestock safety.

I'll buy and keep buying ammo when it's on sale as long as I have a dry place to put it. Probably have 2K rounds for each of the rifles and pistols that I'd consider use in a SHTF situation. Don't forget the 12GA.....:cool: If it all goes bad, the inner cities will eat themselves and it will only be a matter of time before the leftover city zombies head rural searching for food and supplies. I hope we never see it, but I will be set up for a fighting chance if it does.

I don't know why people would shoot that much a week. I'd do maybe 50 rds per platform per year to ensure zero and familiarity/test functionality and hunt. Learn to use a bow and traps to hunt and you will use even less ammo. Also, firefights that you survive and the other party doesn't mean that there are left over weapons and ammo on the ground, not to mention other gear.

I don't know why people would shoot that much a week. I'd do maybe 50 rds per platform per year to ensure zero and familiarity/test functionality and hunt. Learn to use a bow and traps to hunt and you will use even less ammo. Also, firefights that you survive and the other party doesn't mean that there are left over weapons and ammo on the ground, not to mention other gear.
There won't be anything to "hunt" for probably 10-30 years and with most all people dead too in the first few weeks, there'd be about a billion guns and trillions of rounds up for grabs just in this country alone. oh joy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top