JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a bunch of stuff.
However, I don't want a bunch of stuff in my pickup.. there's plenty already so I keep an unopened multi pack of different gritted 7" foam core emery boards from the dollar store in it.
There's like five double sided boards with grits ranging from probably 80 grit to buffing, very smooth.
You could easily repair chipped blades down to the final convex stropped condition.
Those fine emery boards are great for putting that shaving-sharp edge on bowies... I use extra-fine wet-or-dry paper to achieve the same result. An emery board would slide right into the sheath...

No person on this earth had a blade sharper than the knives my dad used daily.
He used a regular carborundum whetstone, and touched them up with a very fine Arkansas stone.

I learned from him about 60 years ago and by the time I was a Cub Scout my knives were sharper than anyone's but his. I do it by hand with plenty of light oil. The stone is held in my left hand and the knife in my right. No clamps, guides, grinders, jigs, or gizmos are needed.

The secret is to sharpen them before you think they need it. That way the carborundum stone is only used rarely for repairing heavy use or damage, and the Arkansas stone does touch-up after just about every use.

The term "sharpen" is a misnomer. If you need to do more than polish the cutting edge, you have waited too long or have abused the edge.
Exactly right sir!

Elliot @ Patron Saint of Knives in Vancouver WA keeps mine like a razor.
This man is the God of knife sharpening!!!!

EE24619D-78DE-4DDC-8BA7-8A26250FCC57.jpeg

Last Edited:
Curious how you all keep your knives sharp? If you can share links to the specific equipment that would really help. Years ago my father-in-law gifted me a Tormek Sharpening system and it was wonderful. Razor sharp edges especially after the leather strop, but how do you maintain these edges without a new grind? Especially in the wilderness? TIA
I sharpen them on the bones of my victims

Only a couple guys have mentioned the Lansky, but it's my favorite. Picked mine up many years ago and it sat on the shelf for a couple years because I didn't take the time to figure out how to use it correctly. But after I took a few minutes to learn how to use it, it's awesome. The link to the kit I have is for the three stone version. They have all kinds of kits with additional stones, but every time I try some of the different stones, I come back to the medium every time. I use that one start to finish. I'm able to make an edge that is literally sharp enough to shave. Sportsman's wants $35 for the kit I have but I bet you can find it for a little less elsewhere. Replacement stones are somewhere around $10. I've only replaced the medium stone one time and I sharpen a lot of knives. Just my two cents.

Here's another Lansky user. It's fast, accurate and easy. You get a perfect edge every time.

Get the bench pedestal and mount it to a scrap of plywood making it easy go clamp to a table or bench and sharpening is even easier.

The original lube was used up years ago, so I've been using ATF. A quart if that lasts years.

I have a really high-quality extremely old steel and a new ceramic steel that I keep in the living room and I generally sweep my knife with it a few days a week to keep a maint edge. I have a works in my backpack that has a small stone, small ceramic and a small leather strop.

Been using this for years
paid $4.98 but hey, inflation

I own an outrageously expensive Edgepro system, and a moderately costly Lansky Diamond system.

However, I prefer the $10 AccuSharp Knife & Tool Sharpener over both of them. Not because it makes a knife sharper, it doesn't. Rather that it is super fast, super easy and still super sharp. I have a double sided Smith diamond stone that I use for touchups after the wife has worked a knife over hard.

Seriously. You flip the knife on it's back and give it 2-3 passes with this thing....

Z2UuanBn.jpg

I own an outrageously expensive Edgepro system, and a moderately costly Lansky Diamond system.

However, I prefer the $10 AccuSharp Knife & Tool Sharpener over both of them. Not because it makes a knife sharper, it doesn't. Rather that it is super fast, super easy and still super sharp. I have a double sided Smith diamond stone that I use for touchups after the wife has worked a knife over hard.

Seriously. You flip the knife on it's back and give it 2-3 passes with this thing....

View attachment 1328585
Yup. Exactly. It's the K.I.S.S. principle.

No muss nor fuss. And if you want to shave with it, just follow that with a few strokes on the Steel to raise a wire edge.

Can't get any sharper than that. ;)

If it's a cheap knife say less than 100 bucks after I Muff the grind angle up after enough field sharpenings i'll generally just hit it on the belt sander with whatever grit is on there and finish it off on a stone and then a ceramic rod. My fancy knives if I can't get it back with the ceramic rod I sent it back in to have it done by the pros.

Wife bought me the work sharp set last Christmas.

I know how to use and have stones but the worksharp makes it pretty dang easy and the results are very consistent.

Probably to much money unless you are sharpening a lot of knives every year.

I just bought a set of diamond stones for my Edge-pro sharpener they work very well on the newer steels that are being used on knives these days .
I used to say it was 10% the tool and 90% knowing how to use it but now it seems knowing what tool to use on what type of steel can play a big part.

Get a good, simple sharpener and a cheap knife and learn to use it. Then you can always have a sharp knife with minimal effort. My daily carry knife is a $15 knife from Home Depot. I use it for everything. It will take a good edge but doesn't hold it that well. It keeps me in practice. Also keep your kitchen knives sharp.

I tried quite a few different systems, for me the Wicked Edge was the easiest and delivered the best results. Of course it's best to not let them get dull in the first place. Strop, strop, strop,,,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top